Guided By Voices - Recent / Upcoming albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pop_Zeus, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident Thread Starter

GBV fans, make yourselves known!

I don't think I know anyone in real life who appreciates them. Perhaps they've never heard of them. To the newbie GBV fan, I guess it can be a daunting prospect, given the sheer size of their output and Bob's solo stuff, let alone side projects.

I got properly into GBV I guess mid 2000's. I'm a 90s kid and always loved US alternative type stuff (Pavement, Built To Spill, Afghan Whigs, Sebadoh, etc) but GBV simply weren't on my radar. My first exposure was hearing Teenage FBI on the radio and picking up Do The Collapse. At the time I thought it was just an ok indie rock album, with a few great songs and a lot that didn't do anything for me. I still think this now really. Anyway, I didn't like it enough at the time to explore the band further.

Then, over the next couple of years I realised that I kept seeing the likes of Bee Thousand and Alien Lanes pop up in 'albums of the decade' lists that I'd read so made a mental note to pick up the first album I saw of theirs.

Soon after I found Under The Bushes, Under The Stars (with Tigerbomb EP bonus disc) in Vinyl Exchange in Manchester. I instantly loved it and was hooked. I then proceeded to hunt down as many GBV releases as I could find, then when I had most of them, it was onto tracking down Robert Pollard's solo albums. I've also picked up side project stuff along the way though they are harder to find over here. My username is my homage to one of Pollard’s obscure classics. How I would have loved Pop Zeus to have been on Do The Collapse with matching production!

Last summer I played through every GBV album I have a couple of times each as I wanted to make a CD of my faves to play in the car. I ended up with about 60 songs spread over 2 CDs and even then there were songs I hated leaving out. I'll post the playlist later, man did I play those songs to death last summer. This year I'm gonna do the same with RP solo stuff.

The risk / reward aspect of GBV & RP releases can be infuriating, but trawling through them to find your fave songs is all part of the fun of being a GBV fan.

Personally I think it’s an exciting time to be a GBV fan. I love the current lineup with Doug Gillard back in the band. The last 3 albums have been excellent. How Do You Spell Heaven in particular, for the songs and production quality. August By Cake’s production is not as good, it’s a bit muddy in places, not enough clarity, on some songs it’s like a blanket has been thrown over the drum kit. Otherwise still enjoyable and a good variety of songs written by all band members. Space Gun is great too, especially the title track. What do you think of the recent albums?

A lot for GBV fans to look forward to in 2019. . .

• Zeppelin Over China, double album in Feb
    • Warp & Woof (four EPs bundled together as an album, two of which already came out, other two to follow in March, vinyl only I think, despite initial announcement mentioning CD) in April
    • Rise of the Ants album in Oct (initially announced as Street Party)
    GBV! GBV!

2. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Right here! :wave:

Looks like they are playing two shows in Europe next year. Hopefully they announce more dates and they come to a city somewhat close to you. I know Euro fans have really gotten short-changed over the years as GBV hardly leaves North America.

axel1975, theMess, kouzie and 3 others like this.
  3. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Don't forget the upcoming Cash Rivers CD, which will include all of the previous vinyl-only Cash Rivers stuff. I'm pretty sure that's still scheduled for a 2019 release. And then there's the next issue of Eat, which will include a Bob 7".

kouzie, Echoes Myron and Pop_Zeus like this.
  4. Strummergas

And also reissues of Kid Marine and Speak Kindly Of Your Volunteer Fire Department!

5. Pop_Zeus

Does anyone know what the deal is with the GBV fan site ‘Disarm the Settlers’? I ask because I registered over a month ago and when I try to explore the site from the Board Index, I get told

“You do not have the required permissions to view or read topics within this forum.”

I have clicked the ‘Contact us’ button twice and nobody has responded. Does nobody monitor these messages, or don’t they want new forum members? Is it a very exclusive group or something? I believe there’s a very active GBV F*cebook group but I don’t use it. Just want to discuss all things Pollard, but if DTS won’t have me (or if they will too) then I’m more than happy to just talk GBV on here

Thanks

kouzie and Echoes Myron like this.
  6. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Welcome aboaard, proud brother! :cheers: Have you been to many shows? I concur with a lot of your thoughts. Under the Bushes Under the Stars is my favorite album by the Geebs. But heir current lineup rocks harder night after night than any other band on the planet, imo. Can't wait to hear the new stuff.

DTS is a lot of fun, but there is definitely a hardcore faction of family, friends and fans steering the ship. and they don't always welcome newcomers with open arms. There also are some great fans in Hoffman land though, and the discussions here have been lively and fun. I hate that Bob seems destined to be remembered as an incredibly gifted and prolific songwriter who hasn't found the commercial successs he so richly deserves. But if he's happy staying true to his craft and staking his claim on those terms, then who am I to ask him to compromise for the sake of a higher profile among rock music fans?

7. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Is Postal Blowfish still going? I was on there late 90's early 00's when I was in grad school and it was a hoot. Those GBV shows were always a blast too.

Still love classic GBV but stopped following Bob probably around Normal Happiness. That is when I got a real job, and life moved on.

Have not kept up with all the solo Bob stuff or reunion GBV since. Oh well it was fun :)

Woodhill78, levi and Pop_Zeus like this.
  8. Pop_Zeus

That’s a shame. I don’t understand a band fan site’s owners / mods turning their noses up at new members who are fans of the band.

It’s not easy keeping up. There have been some great releases since you checked out though. How Do You Spell Heaven is worth checking out.

Less than a month now til Zeppelin Over China !

theMess, levi and Echoes Myron like this.
  9. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Thanks will have to check that out.

Whenever I am nostalgic for some GBV I usually reach for the older stuff like Vampire on Titus or Same Place the Fly Got Smashed. (Only because I have played Bee Thousand, Alien Lanes, and Under the Bushes about a million gazillion times each).

Anyway last night for whatever reason I randomly grabbed Choreographed Man of War of the shelf. What a gem of an album. Edison's Memos. Seventh Level Shutdown. So much goodness!

theMess, levi, DPK and 4 others like this.
  10. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

One of my favorites. It's the same lineup (with one extra guitarist) in The Moping Swans EP Lightninghead To Coffeepot and just as good.

11. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Rockathon Records rep announced that Zeppelin Over China CD preorders are gonna start shipping tomorrow, January 8th (LPs aren't ready yet). :righton:

Yeah, DtS is full of jerks but I stick around just to get updates like that. I was pretty active on Postal Blowfish in the late 90s thru early 00s and it was a lot more fun than DtS.

Been a Bob/GbV fanatic since 1992, have seen 'em live about 15 times (for me that's a lot), and in my humble opinion Uncle Bob just keeps getting better and better. Thankfully the well has not run dry.

12. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

The Rally Boys has dropped! Also announced their first UK show in 15 years and East Coast dates (Boston and Jersey City) in May..

Pop_Zeus, kouzie and Strummergas like this.
  13. Strummergas

I'll be at the JC show. Sooooooo tempted to head to London for the June show, but I don't think it's logistically possible. Besides, it's probably better for some deprived British fan to buy the ticket rather than a spoiled fan from NYC.

theMess, kouzie and Echoes Myron like this.
  14. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I'm about 2/3 of the way through the new Pollard bio (Closer You Are). I'd read that it wasn't much better than the awful Hunting Accidents GBV bio, but that rings false. It does a pretty good job of drawing how Pollard went from a British Invasion-obsessed kid to a guy who could play sports in his sleep (much to his dad's delight) even though his heart was into music the whole time. Having visited Dayton last summer, and kind of holding it up against my own upbringing in Ohio (opposite end of the state) where sports rule all, it gave me a new respect for his drive and vision - even if I think he's been phoning it in since around 2006.

theMess, Echoes Myron and Pop_Zeus like this.
  15. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I'll chime in as one of the handful that generally posts GBV/Pollard stuff (along with several others that have posted on this thread). I turned 50 a few months ago and have come to the conclusion that GBV are my favorite band of all-time.

I've been a massive GBV fan since around `94. I was lucky to work at a small indie distributor outside of Chicago in the `90's and two of the labels we distributed were Scat and Matador. So I was able to listen to a lot of GBV early on. We also tried picking up labels that had stray GBV tracks on various comps. Between CDs, LP's and 7"'s, I have over 150 GBV/Pollard releases.

I lived in Charlotte from 2000 - 2010 and none of the reunion or Pollard tours ever hit the Queen City, so I missed out on those live years. But since I've been back in the Chicago area, I've seen them tons, including 3 times between 12/30/17-12/31/18.

The Postal Blowfish mailing list is still a thing. Not super active, but I'm too lazy to unsubscribe. I haven't ever been able to get onto the DTS board either, despite years of trying... There are a few Facebook groups that I'm part of that I enjoy.

And I totally agree, this line up is the best Bob's ever had (though I would have killed to see the solo tour with his backing band of Tommy Keene, Jon Wurster and Jason Narducy). Can't wait to hear the new album in its entirety!

16. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

17. jaspar

jaspar Active Member

I will probably pick up the LP from my local shop next week... but does anyone know if I can purchase a lossless download of ZOC somewhere? I've quit buying CDs unless it's the only option for lossless.

18. Krivers

Krivers Forum Resident

Been with them since the early 90's when Bee Thousand was lauded in (I think?) Spin magazine. GBV have recaptured something recently as the last few albums have been outstanding. Looking forward to the new one.

theMess and Pop_Zeus like this.
  19. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Been a fan since 96. Pretty quickly became an obsessive die hard. Love the current lineup. Space Gun was bob’s best in ten years or so. Liking the new one too but I’m still absorbing it.

20. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

Picked up a copy of An Earful O'Wax when it was released based on a friend's recommendation. Bought just about everything that was released in the 90s and then lost interest. While I love those 90s releases, including Waved Out, I didn't really love anything that came after. I also don't think they've ever been a great live band. I've seen them several times in various incarnations and I've found them to be anything close to amazing.

21. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Curious, have you seen them in the current line up? Musically, by far the best one Uncle Bob's put together.

22. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Check out Speak Kindly of Your Volunteer Fire Dept. It's one of Pollard's best. Came out in 1999.

23. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

I saw them last year in Philly touring in support of Space Gun. Brilliant show......I think they played well over 50 songs. I caught them a few years ago with the classic lineup (Mitch Mitchell, Tobin Sprout, and Greg Demos), which was great as well. Not sure which one I prefer.....this unit is a bit tighter.

kouzie and Pop_Zeus like this.
  24. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Zeppelin Over China is REALLY GOOD.

bzfgt, theMess and Pop_Zeus like this.
  25. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

Space Gun was my (very late) starting point with GBV and I really enjoyed it .

Any recommendations on where to go next?

I suspect they are the type of band which are ideal for a compilation/playlist?

Echoes Myron likes this.