Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

That list and the sales figures are bewildering to me.
    Everybody says how much they love the early stuff and for LP fans and A Date with are pretty low sales...
    Elvis Is Back still hasn't got the sales that it should
    From Elvis In Memphis and Back In Memphis seem relatively ignored .... and then there are these bizarre albums that have sold millions or high hundreds ....
    I guess that is why I never made it in the music biz, I just don't understand what the people actually want ....

Iceman08, Dave112 and RSteven like this.
  2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I agree. But people are not logical, neither is marketing.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  3. I’m surprised the Christmas And gospel albums have sold as much as they have, as the material has been repacked in to countless new albums which surely eat in to the sales of the core catalog albums.

4. SKATTERBRANE

5. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I've always been surprised that Catchin' On Fast doesn't get more love (or at least appreciation) from the fanbase. I can see why some people might be turned off by the silly subject matter in songs like the two title tracks, but Catchin' On Fast is no worse (lyrically) than many of Elvis' more beloved songs. It's breezy, and upbeat, and tuneful. What's not to like?

I will concede that I prefer this version, however:

6. Outside of the bonus tracks, Catchin’ On Fast is my favorite track on the LP. It’s got that groovy 60’s vibe, and with a more committed arrangement (I would love to have had Billy Strange or Lee Hazlewood get a crack at this with Elvis on vocal) could have been a standout.

mark winstanley likes this.
  7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The narrowing of the songwriting pool is a big problem. During the bad years that are upcoming, it seems like about 75% of his material is written by either Giant/Baum/Kaye, Tepper/Bennett, or Weismann/Wayne. They had occasional good moments but were mostly hacking stuff out quickly.

8. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I like it as well. Once again, the production and vocal style remind me a little of Charlie Rich's work in the 1960's. You will find that both these artists will end up drawing from each other throughout this period and even record some of the same material for the next decade or so ( I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water, Spanish Eyes, Pieces Of My Life, and Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues, just to name a few).

artfromtex and mark winstanley like this.
  9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

This song does have a really nice backing track, and I agree with @RSteven that it’s reminiscent of Smash-era Charlie Rich. I disagree about the lyrics, though. The premise (learning how to kiss) is silly and seems to come squarely from the musical comedy tradition (it’s not very rock and roll). And I think Elvis’ vocal is substandard... there’s no soul or intensity in his voice. This again may be due to the circumstances of the recording, but he just doesn’t sound like he’s trying very hard. With better lyrics and vocal the song coulda been a contender.

Iceman08, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  10. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I agree with you about the lightweight lyrics and you also hit the nail on the head in your other post about the bulk of Elvis movie material being in the hands of essentially two songwriting teams and they simply could not supply enough quality material throughout all those redundant movie subplots. It was a recipe for disaster. I still kind of like Elvis's vocals and the splendid drum work on this cut though.

11. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

I think for the most part, Elvis was seen as a singles artist, therefore his singles would sell more than his albums.

12. mark winstanley

Yea, I just find it bizarre. I have never been a singles guy. The only time I had any singles was when I found about seven mint condition seventies singles at the local rubbish dump .... I'm not joking ... Judy Tzuke - Stay With Me til Dawn is the one that's coming to mind (always loved that song) but I had an old gramaphone to play my 78's and it had that old style stop and drop thing. So occasionally I would put these seven singles on there and it was like being in the fifties or something lol ... anyway, I rabbit trailed a bit there lol
    The point being, I was never a singles guy at all, so I find the whole singles thing hard to compute

Oh and Climax Blues Band I Love You, another great track

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Dave112 and RSteven like this.
  13. SKATTERBRANE

I agree! I only bought Elvis singles and 45 EPs that had songs that were not on LP. And if and when they were put on LPs, I sold off the singles and EPs.

Dave112, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  14. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I would buy the first single 45 release before the album would come out in the 1970's, but that was because I did not want to wait for the release of the album. Elvis also had those color sleeves on the first run of the singles, so that was pretty cool as well. I am more of an album collector as well, but my parents had a lot of 45's from the days when my dad was the PD for the Mighty 690 in San Diego.

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  15. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I think the reason for the relatively low sales on the first two volumes of golden records was that a lot of people (mostly teenagers at the time) bought primarily 45 singles. They could be stacked on a changer and one could create a dance playlist by the sequence in the stack. By the release of golden records volume 3, the LP was well established for rock and roll music. Elvis' Christmas Album has got to be the biggest selling Christmas album of all time because everyone I knew had a copy in one of the 4 incarnations of the original LP. The surprising low sales of "Elvis Is Back", Something For Everybody", "Pot Luck", and "From Elvis In Memphis" and the much higher sales of the soundtrack albums might give a clue why so many folks think Elvis couldn't have continued as a hit maker during the British Invasion. Thanks for those stats! I'm scratching my head at some of those numbers when you put them all together like that.

16. mark winstanley

Anyone (Could Fall In Love With You)
    Written By :
    Bennie Benjamin, Sol Marcus & Louis A. DeJesus

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, September 29-30, and MGM Studios, Culver City, October 10, 1963 : October 10, 1963. take 3

We're lead into this with a nice little chordal guitar riff, and then it is essentially a piano ballad, with the occasional little guitar chordal riff. After the first verse we get the backing vocalists come in with the "oooo"'s. This is another really sweet song and has one of Elvis' patented gentle vocals.

RSteven likes this.
  17. mark winstanley

Barefoot Ballad
    Written By :
    Dolores Fuller & Lee Morris

Recorded :

RCA's Studio B, Nashville, September 29-30, and MGM Studios, Culver City, October 10, 1963 : October 10, 1963. splice of take 2 and 4

We start off with a fiddle and Boots Randolph playing the jug. We have a kind of country/kind of bluegrass track here. I guess it's a little bit of fun, and Elvis is putting on an accident in most of the vocal. I don't dislike the song, but it is a little silly.

18. SKATTERBRANE

Anyone (Could Fall In Love With You) is another pretty decent song. Now, even though it fits the movie, Barefoot Ballad is the one that poisons the precarious notion that Kissin Cousins is a so-so album. It totally sinks the whole album. When I had LPs I got tired of getting up and moving the tonearm over this song!

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  19. mark winstanley

Easy reference guide
    1959 home recording
    - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 23 1960
    Touch Of Gold Vol 3 EP

Mar 23 1960
    Stuck on you Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Fame And Fortune Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 6 1960
    Elvis Is Back
    track 1 Make Me Know It Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Fever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Girl Of My Best Friend Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 I Will Be Home Again Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Dirty Dirty Feeling Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Thrill Of Your Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Soldier Boy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Such A Night Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 It Feels So Right Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Girl Next Door Went a Walkin' Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Like A Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Reconsider Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 12 1960
    Elvis - Frank Sinatra show

Jul 5 1969

It's Now Or Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Mess O' Blues Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 1 1960
    GI Blues
    track 1 Tonight Is So Right For Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 What's She Really Like Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Frankfort Special Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Wooden Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 GI Blues Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Pocket Full Of Rainbows Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Shoppin' Around Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Big Boots Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Didja Ever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Blues Suede Shoes (revisited) Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Doin' The Best I Can Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 1 1960
    Are You Lonesome Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Live 1972 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    I Gotta Know Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 23 1960
    His Hand In Mine
    track 1 His Hand In Mine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 I;m Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 In My Fathers House Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Milky White Way Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Known Only To Him Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 I Believe In The Man In The Sky Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Joshua Fit The Battle Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 He Knows Just What I Need Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Swing Down Sweet Chariot Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Mansion On the Hilltop Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 If We Never Meet Again Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Working On The Building Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 7 1961
    Surrender Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Lonely Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 25 1961
    Pearl Harbour Concert - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 21 1961
    Flaming star EP
    track 1 Flaming Star Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Summer Kisses Winter Tears Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Are You Lonesome Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 It's Now Or Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 2 1961
    I Feel So Bad Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Wild In The country Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 19 1961
    Something For Everybody
    track 1 There's Always Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Give Me The Right Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 It's A Sin Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Sentimental Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Starting today Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Gently Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 I'm Comin' Home Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 In your Arms Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Put The Blame On Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Judy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 I Want You With Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 I Slipped I Stumbled I Fell Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Aug 8 1961
    His Latest Flame Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Little Sister Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 20 1961
    Blue Hawaii
    track 1 Blue Hawaii Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Almost always True Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Aloha Oe Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 No More Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Can't help Falling in love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Rock a-hoola baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Moonlight Swim Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Ku'uipo Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Ito Eats Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Slicin' Sand Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Hawaiian Sunset Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Beach Boy blues Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 13 Island Of Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 14 Hawaiian Wedding Song Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 21 1961
    Can't help falling in Love/Rock-a-Hula Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 27 1962
    Good Luck Charm Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Anything That's A Part Of You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 1962
    Follow That Dream EP
    track 1 Follow That Dream Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Angel Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 What a Wonderful Life Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 I'm Not The Marrying Kind Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

June 5 1962
    Pot Luck
    track 1 Kiss Me Quick Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Just For Old Time Sake Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Gonna Get back home Somehow Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 (such an) Easy question Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Steppin' Out Of Line Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 I'm Yours Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Something Blue Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Suspicion Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 I Feel That I've Known you Forever Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Night Rider Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Fountain Of Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 That's Someone You Never Forget Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

July 17 1962
    She's Not You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Just Tell her Jim Said Hello Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Aug 28 1962
    Kid Galahad EP
    track 1 King Of The Whole Wide World Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 This Is Living Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Riding The Rainbow Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Home Is Where The Heart Is Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 I Got Lucky Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 A Whistling Tune Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 2 1962
    Return To Sender Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Where Do You Come From Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 9 1962
    Girls Girls Girls
    track 1 Girls Girls Girls Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 I Don't Wanna Be Tied Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Where Do you Come From Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 I Don't Want To Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 We'll Be Together Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 A Boy Like Me, A girl Like You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Earth Boy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Return To Sender Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Because Of Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Thanks To The Rolling Sea Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Song Of The Shrimp Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 The Walls Have Ears Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 13 We're Coming in Loaded Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jan 29 1963
    One Broken Heart For Sale Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    They Remind Me too Much of You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 10 1963
    It happened At The World's Fair
    track 1 Beyond The bend Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Relax Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Take Me To The Fair Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 They Remind Me Too Much Of You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 One Broken Heart For Sale Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 I'm falling In love Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Cotton Candy Land Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 World Of Our Own Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 How Would You Like To Be Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Happy ending Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

June 18 1963
    Devil In Disguise Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Please Don't Drag that String Around Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Aug 12 1963
    Elvis Golden Records Vol. 3
    1 It's Now or Never Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    2 Stuck on You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    3 Fame and Fortune Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    4 I Gotta Know Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    5 Surrender Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    6 I Feel So Bad Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    7 Are You Lonesome Tonight? Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    8 (Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    9 Little Sister Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    10 Good Luck Charm Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    11 Anything That's Part of You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    12 She's Not You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 1 1963
    Bossa Nova Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    remix Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Witchcraft Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 1 1963
    Fun In Acapulco
    track 1 Fun In Acapulco Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Vino, Dinero Y Amor Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Mexico Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    (take 7) a better version Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 El Toro Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Marguerita Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Bullfighter Was A Lady Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 No Room to Rhumba In A Sports Car Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Bossa Nova Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 You Can't Say no In Acapulco Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Guadalajara Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Love Me Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 13 Slowly But Surely Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 10 1964
    Kissin' Cousins Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    It Hurts Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Apr 2 1964
    Kissin' Cousins
    track 1 Kissin' Cousins 2 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Smokey Mountain Boy Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 There's Gold In The Mountains Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 One Boy, Two Little Girls Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Catchin' On Fast Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Tender Feeling Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Anyone Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Barefoot Ballad Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

20. mark winstanley

21. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I like Anyone (Could fall In Love With You) as well. A really sweet vocal and a nice background vocal by the Jordaniares. Now for me personally, Barefoot Ballad does not sink the whole album or make it less than the sum of its parts as this whole soundtrack has been somewhat of a revelation for me. Again, I use to avoid most of the 1960's soundtrack recordings like the plague, so imagine my wonder when I find the second version of Kissin Cousins to be as good or better than the one I was familiar with or when I find some of the more decent mid tempo ballads on this album to have pretty decent production work by the Nashville A team and Elvis's voice to be in pretty fine shape.

As far as Barefoot Ballad is concerned, I do not know whether to be really irritated with Elvis that he did not put his "barefoot" down and refuse to record this ridiculous trifle or congratulate him for giving it his best shot as his accent on the word "bare" makes me laugh every time I hear it, which will not be often now. I now see why you use to skip this track when you played the album.

Iceman08 and mark winstanley like this.
  22. SKATTERBRANE

I bought all his LPs starting in 1968, and by 1970 I was caught up; by 1972 I gave up! Each soundtrack I bought was met with a growing anxiety. I said to myself maybe THIS one won't be so bad. Followed by: well it is even worse than the one before. And, like Kissin Cousins' Barefoot Ballad most had at least one-- if not 2-3 songs that, if removed, improved the respective album enough to at least not be so embarrassing.

One could make a damned good 14 song album from Spinout and Clambake. And a decent 12 song album from Double Trouble and Speedway. I am not sure if that could be said of Harum Scarum and Frankie And Johnny. I think they were the last two soundtracks I bought. And it is probably why my tolerance was so low by then, they are forever branded the worse of the bunch by me.

Iceman08, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  23. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure that I'm the only person in the world who actively likes Barefoot Ballad. It's goofy and ridiculous ("that's the drive toe"?!?!), but I always have a good time listening to it, so much that I've even played it outside of the context of the album.

(As you might guess, I have some kind words coming up for the 1965 soundtracks!)

Shawn, RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  24. SKATTERBRANE

Nothing wrong with that!

25. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

"Anyone" is great. If I remove any semblance of the film from my mind, I can picture this as a regular early 60s ballad from any given Presley LP. Barefoot Ballad, on the other hand, is bottom of the barrel film gunk. It was a vehicle for blond haired and kinda dim-witted "other Elvis" in the film to have something to sing. A true clunker that gives you a glimpse of how goofy this movie really is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.