Qobuz music streaming discussion and news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stereosound, Jul 12, 2018.

1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Same here Bo, I'm just hoping that they can extend some of those rights over for US buyers. I've been able to get quite a few albums not available over here through their French outlet.

2. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I just tried to register and received this:
    "We are in a closed beta, only the users invited can signin/signup. Come back soon! "

Grant likes this.
  3. Bo Hejselbaek

Bo Hejselbaek Member

I've been seeing and let down by 'only available in US' for many great services in the past decades. Not bothered too much being in Europe, but hope Qobuz makes it. Nothing can beat this service, the passion for music shines through. Would love more social features though.

4. allegro

allegro Well-Known Member

You are welcome glad the link worked for you. If it was like the beta test they may take it down in a few days.

lpfreak1170 likes this.
  5. John22

John22 Forum Resident

6. StateOfTheArt

StateOfTheArt Beatle Know-it-all

This is a tough decision - because I wanted to integrate with Roon (on trial with them as well) and Tidal does so. So - assuming Qobuz is going to be in Roon shortly (apparently they are working on integration as we speak).

Tidal+Roon = MQA lossy for the same price as 16/44.1 (it doesn't sound horrible, but I don't have an MQA capable DAC)

or

Qobuz (Roon to come) +Chromecast for 5 bucks more 24/96 FLAC (my DAC can handle this and my mobile S8+)

Decisions.. decisions..

7. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

Try the link in allegro's post...that worked for me.

StateOfTheArt likes this.
  8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I tried it. It didn't work for me, but, I have patience. Like I said, I want to ensure that I get a legit membership. I really plan to buy from Qobuz, provided the record labels don't start heavily restricting what they offer stateside like they do with all the other stores. The good thing is that Qobuz doesn't deal with .mp3 or .aac. It's all redbook and hi-rez!

lpfreak1170 likes this.
  9. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

I really like qobuz and have been a supporter for years. But for me, in the U.K., Qobuz as a service has been gradually getting worse the last couple of years. With a high sublime subscription it used to be that it was rare to find something that didn’t have a discount attached (part of the subscription rights) now more and more stuff is excluded from discounts for subscribers. Moreover they constantly advertise ‘sales’ where majority of the albums listed in the sale are not discounted at all and even the reduced albums are generally not reduced for subscribers. It’s to the point now where I think I’ll abandon the subscription come March.

10. StateOfTheArt

Does Tidal do mp3? I didn't think they did. I'm still on the fence. I just acquired Roon. And Qobuz isn't integrated into Roon, yet anyway. Would you use Qobuz or Roon+Tidal?

11. allegro

Qobuz closed the loophole that was allowing US IP addresses to register and now says you need an invitation. Sorry about that all. There was also a go around from clicking a link on the main Qobuz Facebook page: they closed that route also.

12. StateOfTheArt

Dang. that was fast! However, if you email the PR team, you may get an invitation.

13. 500Homeruns

I will wait until I can legitimately try it out.

Grant likes this.
  14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Obviously, the people at Qobuz are monitoring this thread.

wipster likes this.
  15. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

I just got this:

Hi from Qobuz US,

You signed up on our website to be among the first to experience true Hi-Res audio streaming in the US.

The big day is finally approaching!

We are soon going to select our first open beta testers based on specific criteria.

Please complete the form below to have a chance of being selected as one of the first to experience our platform:

16. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Hi there,

Recently set up an account and I really like the interface, however I cannot get the desktop app or the iPad app to do gapless playback. Am I missing some setting that should be obvious?? This happens on multiple desktops, one with computer speakers through the primary sound driver, and one with output to a DAC via usb. Happens on iPad and iPhone too no matter what the output. Thanks!

17. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

I should mention that I do not have the same problem with either the Tidal desktop app or with Roon (local or streamed files) with the same output setups.

18. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

Anyone having (or ever have) issues with playing 24-96 and 24-192 files? They are very distorted, but the same resolution files from my computer play perfectly. They were distorted like that last night...then played fine until I went to bed...now they're distorted again. Maybe distorted isn't the right word...it sounds overloaded. I have it in exclusive mode going to my Schiit Modi 3, which is what I have set for Tidal and Foobar2000.

Edit: Just took it out of exclusive mode and the same songs play perfectly now.

wipster and StateOfTheArt like this.
  19. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

I tried the French version of Qobuz a few months ago and experienced the same distorting. I thought it was my laptop that was giving me trouble. That, along with the limited selection of albums, made me abandon it and go back to my CDs.

20. 500Homeruns

I received that email too. I guess there is no guarantee you get chosen after filling out the survey.

StateOfTheArt likes this.
  21. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I got it too. We'll see...

22. StateOfTheArt

Well, I'm sure you guys will like it if you see it.

23. allegro

Glad you found a fix but you should in theory get the best sound quality using exclusive mode. When I first subscribed to Qobuz I had the same distortion problem occurring randomly using the Qobuz desktop app on Win 10 Pro. In my case I took advantage of the free trial for Audirvana+ and found that solved the problem and you can stream both Tidal and Qobuz using Audirvana+. Quobuz support told me they were working on fixing the desktop app and I assumed that was part of the delay in rolling out full service to the US market. I need to go back and listen to the Quobuz app later today to see if the problem still exists on my laptop. Thanks for jogging my memory.

lpfreak1170 likes this.
  24. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

I filled it out but I doubt I match the demographic they're looking for.

25. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

Are you "someone willing to give us money"?