Rega introduces the new Rega Planar 6 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by btf1980, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Record Fan

Record Fan Forum Resident

The MC input on my Mac 7200

Echoes Myron and cut-out like this.
  2. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

Wow $500 for an RP3 trade in nice work... Aussie stores suck i got offered $500 for my P7... ended up selling it on a local hifi forum with Exact cart for $1,650

Echoes Myron likes this.
  3. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Congrats on your purchase. Just curious which VPI did you compare the P6/Ania too and what cart did it have?

4. SimpleSimonSays

SimpleSimonSays Forum Resident

A Mac 7200 is a budget integrated? :confused:

;)

direstraitsfan98 likes this.
  5. Marshall_SLX

Yea haha... that amps worth about 5 or 6 Planar 6's

6. Record Fan

VPI Scout. Forget the cartridge.

7. Record Fan

I’ve been told that. Seriously.

8. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Not on this forum. Your amp costs more than a ton of folks whole systems. There are a handful of guys with real nice (expensive) setups, but I would bet most come in at less than 10k total outlay. We have members with 72 dollar vintage amps, so I dont think $7200 is inexpensive to them. :)

jgrillo and direstraitsfan98 like this.
  9. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Interested in the latest Planar 6 but there are not that many reviews out there and specially not comparing it against the RP6 which I have today. Anyone have moved from RP6 to Planar 6 that can give me some feedback?

gfong likes this.
  10. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

The P6 is very close to the outgoing RP8. It is a completely different table than the RP6. Better arm bearings and wiring, full aluminum subplatter, better main bearings, Neo power supply is more accurate plus adjustable. Last but not least, is the trick foam plinth. All the stuff that folks upgraded, has been addressed. Only upgrade to the P6 is the P8. That table has me looking hard at convenience stores in the area, but I am just too damn old and slow to get away with it. :)

Dan Steele and mike catucci like this.
  11. John Brunatti

John Brunatti Forum Resident

I began looking at the RP6 with the exact cartridge. However, the more I read about the new P6, I determined that the RP6 would be short lived .
    I decided to bite the bullet, avoid the middle step, and go with the P6.

Most of what I read identifies the RP6 closer to the P3 whereas the P6 is closer to the P8 . I decided that this is the time to go ahead with a MC cartridge as well. I found a P6 virtually new with a Hana SH cartridge and really enjoy the table.

12. Xpression Carbon

Xpression Carbon Forum Resident

I finally purchased one of these myself, absolutely love it. :pineapple: I got the one with the Ania cart. My first time owning a moving coil or a Rega for that matter. Beautiful table, I am one happy customer.

If tables do sound better than this, I am unsure if I would notice.

13. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

So, will you be changing your moniker now? :p
    -Bill

14. Xpression Carbon

Xpression Carbon Forum Resident

Lol. I was just thinking that myself. :laugh:

Echoes Myron likes this.
  15. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

Just wondering if anyone can give advice for a tool to measure the Planar 6 to see if it’s level. I’m using the 2m Black and it has been properly aligned and set up. I had to move the table to clean the rack and put it back on now sometimes I’m getting some sibilance and boominness where there were none, previously.

It’s sitting on 2 pieces of IKEA Lack table tops so maybe it would be better to remove a layer as well?

Gosh the perks of audio nervosa! Lol

16. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Standard (hardware) spirit level ?

TheeGory likes this.
  17. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

I’ve been using one. I guess the key is that the plinth from all directions and the platter should be level. Is the ideal measurement diagonally from the arm to spindle?

18. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

On my RP6 the plinth and platter is not in the same level. Quality approved... I’ve chosen to put the platter in level.

TheeGory likes this.
  19. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Take the mat off and place the level directly on the glass platter. It should read about the same from all directions depending upon the quality of the level. I'd remove one layer of the Lack base at least. Maybe place some felt pads between it and whatever furnishing it rests on also. ...and clean your stylus. ;)
    -Bill

TheeGory and Echoes Myron like this.
  20. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

Thank you so much! Every level is even! Will give a spin and then see if a level removal is necessary!

And of course my stylus is clean! Zerodust is great for me.

21. Marshall_SLX

[​IMG]

This is the spirit level you want for your TT... foolproof

TheeGory likes this.
  22. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

Which one is this? Previously I was going to purchase an Ortofon bubble level but read there was a range of error with it. Thank you :)

23. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

There is a range of error with everything. ;)
    -Bill

displayname and TheeGory like this.
  24. Marshall_SLX

That was just a ramdom picture... i just got one from a hardware store

TheeGory likes this.
  25. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

Ha! Nice to know the pros can easy my anxiety! Gave it a spin last night with the dual layer. Image and soundstage... amazing. Much really bass heavy, still. In comparison to my DAC on the same system, it seems like the P6 needs some more tweaks.

Thanks, all :)

displayname likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.