I am bingeing “Midsomer Mysteries” on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Daedalus, Jan 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

Light who-dunnits in the English countryside with Bodies stacking up faster than hay bales during harvest time....

2. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

I love that show! It airs on sunday nights around here, great fun to watch :agree: those small villages sure hide lots of dirty secrets :laugh:
    I even ran into John Nettles once while on the subway in London - he was nice, but a bit shy or stressed out.

MaggieMac and Erik Tracy like this.
  3. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I'm on the next to last season.

It's been fun. Love the scenery/settings.

four sticks likes this.
  4. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Midsomer Murders?

Great show. I'm currently on series 7, my second time through the run.

Daedalus and Erik Tracy like this.
  5. Good luck. We own the DVD's from season 1 to 17 but it is still going and we're falling too far behind on buying them .....

6. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I miss John Nettles as DCI Tom Barnaby. The show definitely changed after he left. John Barnaby is OK, took me a while to warm up to his character.

Erik Tracy likes this.
  7. Erik Tracy

Same here. John Barnaby is ok(as in "good") in my book.

Love Sykes the dog!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    LeBon Bush likes this.
  8. Daedalus

I like the John Barnaby character.

Erik Tracy likes this.
  9. Daedalus

Love Sykes

Erik Tracy likes this.
  10. Daedalus

Still bingeing away. I have watched seasons out of order to make comparisons. The dynamic between the original DCI( John Nettles) and his wife is peculiar. The portrayed relationship between husband and wife in the new series is much better in my opinion. The highest murder rates in the world! The most eccentric characters littering the countryside!

11. Daedalus

Well I have watched every episode available on Netflix. What next? Any suggestions? ( By the way-great show full of humor, satire, great characters and excellent writing with an abundance of dead bodies.)

12. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

My wife binge-watched these right after we got Netflix and absolutely loved them. I'll ask her if she has any suggestions on what to watch next.

Daedalus likes this.
  13. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Great show. Detectives Barnaby and Jones, had to be a nod to "Barnaby Jones", right?

It's one of Mrs. Culpa's favorite shows, right up there with "Inspector Lewis" (just called "Lewis" in the U.K.).

14. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

How so? I've never noticed anything strange about their dynamic. Unless you are referring to the fact that she witnesses about one murder a year. :)

15. Daedalus

well I started with the newer shows and the replacement Barnaby cousin who has a wife with a twinkle in her eye and you know that there is an active relationship afoot. With the original Barnably and spouse: some boredom, resignation by her of his hours, he doesn’t seem too empathetic towards her, etc( they seem to soften this up a bit as series progresses) but there is never a hint of some Barnaby sack time unless I am missing it.

16. cdnostalgia

cdnostalgia Forum Resident

I assume you refer to Midsomer Murders.

God knows how that has ran so long, if there's a spate of murders in a nearby area in the UK can guarantee the "I'll move to Midsomer, it's safer" joke will be made by somebody.

17. Erik Tracy

Father Brown?

royzak2000, Dubmart and Culpa like this.
  18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

My wife and I watch the series every night for a long time until I think about two seasons after they switched Barnabys. She went back to work as a teacher and there just isn't time to watch TV much anymore.

Funny how there's dozens of UK drama which feature small towns where everybody's murdering everybody else and yet it doesn't seem to hurt the tourist trade. Has anyone from rural England ever wrote the BBC and said, "Quit making us look like friggin' murderous psychopaths!" :laugh:

Great show, but I have to say that like most of those Brit crime drama programs, I can only remember one or two out of dozens of episodes! They're like a bag of chips.

19. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Available on Amazon Prime too. Just started watching it.

20. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

She suggested Broadchurch

royzak2000 likes this.
  21. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Go for it.

22. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I would also recommend Longmire, I think it's available on Netflix also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.