Made In Japan Deep Purple

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by astro8585, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I think Deep Purple have badly dated
    Totally agree.
    I agree. I've always had a soft spot for some of DP's studio work but half the time I'm wincing at Lord's playing, which even sounded dated to me back in the early 70s. Gillain's stage musical-type melodramatic vocals didn't help either. I struggle to get through Made In Japan (without laughing or stopping it).

sbardc likes this.
  2. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

It's interesting how people have different takes on it. I think it is still great. And I believe I first heard the album in 1982. I always listen to the whole thing through. It's one giant trip of sound and power. I also have the 3 disc version.

The MEZ, Gregster and danielbravo like this.
  3. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

This is interresting. You think Ian Gillan sings like a musical artist on stage? I find that a positive opinion.

In what way is Jon Lords playing dated? The sound on the organ or the way he is playing? Just trying to understand.

4. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I love Made in Japan but usually switch it off when they go into the long jam at the end of Space Truckin, probably the perfect example of 70s excess right there.

5. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

I agree, The Mule is a song that could have been replaced by another cut and made this album even better.

Rufus rag likes this.
  6. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Well, it's your opinion and I think it's respectable (at the end this is a democratic forum) It's about what you like or do not like.
    In a way most of the bands of those years have "relatively" an outdate sound for the current parameters and tastes (at least in most cases)
    Actually it is a matter of case by case and varies with the tastes of each one.

Good vibes

zen likes this.
  7. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

The Mule was part of the band's usual set list during that tour. In the first presentations of the band other songs were included like "Fireball", "Nver Before" and "Maybe I'm Leo" but "The Mule" was always there in the set list.
    If it was intended (as it happened after all) to show a recording that included a typical Deep Purple concert in 1972, the song should not be omitted.

If it had happened then we would have a mutilated live record. What makes Made In Japan a good live album is precisely that it is authentic.

So the best option is simply "skip the track"

Anthrax, Mook and mestreech like this.
  8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I found his singing to be in the style of stage musicals (Hair, Godspell, Jesus Christ Superstar*) which I have always found corny. I don't like heavy metal singers anyway (Dio, Coverdale, Halford,...).
    * He even took the starring role in a London production in 1970.

Well that sort of freaky-groovy organ was kicking aroung in the mid to late 60s with Stevie Winwood, Graham Bond, Keith Emerson and Brian Auger. I was never all that keen on the style and when Lord was doing in the early to mid 70s, I just felt that it sounded very dated (especially when he did his call and response thing with Blackmore).

danielbravo likes this.
  9. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

I love that "dated" organ sound in rock. Miss it today. Steppenwolf, Purple, Traffic etc...very cool.

Anthrax, Man at C&A, The MEZ and 7 others like this.
  10. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

Thank you for giving more details on your answer. It seem I love what you don't like. We all have different tastes.

Rufus rag and Purple Jim like this.
  11. Sci-Flyer

Sci-Flyer Forum Resident

I first heard it as a teenager in the mid 80s and it was one of my earliest introductions to Purple (after a compilation LP). A friends father had an original cassette that we listened to. The thing that struct me most was Child In Time - I was mesmerised by item as I’d never heard anything like it before. Definitely in my top 5 live albums.

danielbravo and zen like this.
  12. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

The first album I ever bought (some time in 1975 I believe, at the age of 10) was Sha Na Na "The Golden Age of Rock n Roll." The second album I ever bought was "Made in Japan." I grew up with this album. In 7th grade, the (regular, public) school I was attending decided to offer an alternative class structure, which was quite progressive, almost hippie-ish in nature. We were allowed a lot of freedom and one of those was freedoms was to listen to music (on headphones) during certain open study periods (essentially like study hall). I used to bring MIJ to school in my backpack and listen to it on a crappy school turntable. I probably did that at least a dozen times that school year, far more than any other other album. Of course I didn't have all that many at the time. The records became warped and developed a radial crack at the outer edge from carrying them in my backpack, so I had to replace it a couple of years later.

13. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

It was my first live album. On 8-track no less ! Spoiled me rotten for other live albums.

danielbravo likes this.
  14. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

Besides the great performance, the sound quality is very good. I have the original vinyl, and that works for me.

danielbravo likes this.
  15. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Yeah thank heavens for punk. I mean after all, musicians improvising and playing by the seat of their pants? What a joke. :rolleyes:
    BTW- I like Punk Rock a lot. For some reason I am capable of enjoying both genres with equal enthusiasm.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  16. supernaut

supernaut Forum Resident

He was only on the Jesus Christ Superstar album I think

17. Hootsmon

Hootsmon Forum Resident

Always one I've enjoyed listening to over the years. Whenever I have a weak moment and listen to the abortion that's the Last Concert in Japan, I immediately put MIJ on afterwards.

It was intersting to see the filmed footage of one of the shows that emerged a few years ago.

18. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Not a fan of this album. The Anniversary Remix of Machine Head is my go to for DP.

19. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

The opening of "Space Truckin'" to when they really start to cook still gives me chills after all these years. If I could have only two hard rock albums they would be this and In Rock.

Anthrax likes this.
  20. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

After listening to MiJ another time I went and YouTubed a bunch of early 70's Purple/Jon Lord clips that I could find to get that electric tone-wheel metal grind sound he perfected, what genius ...

Rufus rag and dlokazip like this.
  21. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

On a good system, with a very good analog front end, Made In Japan is glorious to behold.

22. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

...and the Warners original and DCC digital versions are terrific also.

stax o' wax likes this.
  23. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Because a entire side of Space Truckin is to awesome for words !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anthrax and kevin5brown like this.
  24. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Sure, Ian - we'll simply turn it up to 11 for you! :D

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  25. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Some live albums capture a magic moment in time.
    Made In Japan perfectly captures Deep Purple's ascension to rock and roll greatness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.