50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I was wondering what this is. Just a collage of written titles or a rough proto-tracklist of the album?

tinnox likes this.
  2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Speaking of the PDF version of the book. Can we (who have the box set) ask for a copy of the PDF?

tinnox likes this.
  3. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

I'm afraid this is a very grey zone, to say the least. I would looove one too but ... why is it not even included in the download of I would buy at Qobuz? I think that's pretty lame.
    In fact that's something I would long for, that download releases would be taken care of with the same care as a physical release, i.e. booklets and all the appropriate information and artwork included. Instead many releases are even cheaper as a physical release. CDs may come at a good price or even heavily discounted (depends upon individual releases and release dates), but the download comes at the former full physical price or even more expensive. Such a thing happened with the latest Björk. Physical: €12,99 when I bought it, now it's a whopping €6,99 at amazon.de for the Special Edition, download was around €19 iirc and is now 20,99 and HighRes €23,99. Again, no PDF, nothing, just the files and cover artwork.
    If it isn't obvious there's something wrong ...

I would looove that WA pdf too but ...

tinnox, andrewskyDE and marmalade166 like this.
  4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

What is going on with the cymbals towards the end of "Dear Prudence" 5.1 remix?
    They sound heavily compressed and "swishy" sounding.
    Is it just my ears?!?

tinnox likes this.
  5. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Would there be any point whatsoever in remixing the first two albums and associated singles though? Aside from eliminating the echo and compression there isn't anything they can do with those, unless I'm mistaken. Is there even a separate vocal track for Money (That's What I Want)? I definitely want new mixes for Rubber Soul and Revolver but only if they do them as properly new, modern mixes, not a half-arsed "kinda make it the same as the original stereo mixes" approach.

I also kinda doubt they would see the value of remixing Yellow Submarine or Magical Mystery Tour since so many of those tracks have been remixed already.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  6. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I'm guessing the former.

It has Hey Jude listed at the bottom, so if it were to be any kind of proto-tracklist, it would have had to have been before Hey Jude was decided upon as a single... [otherwise Revolution would have been next to Hey Jude at the end of the list or HJ would not have been included at all]

andrewskyDE and tinnox like this.
  7. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

It kind of depends on how successful they can be with the "demixing" technology that has been used to some degree recently on various projects.

The value of remixing Yellow Submarine or Magical Mystery Tour tracks depends on the focus of the "projects".

For the Sgt. Pepper 50th, they used the 1+ remix of Strawberry Fields Forever, but Penny Lane was a new remix. [Granted, that was a special case...]
    For 1+, Giles recycled the Love remix of A Day In The Life rather than do an entirely new remix. But it was [wisely] remixed for the 50th anniversary edition.

Magical Mystery Tour tracks were remixed for the DVD/Bluray soundtrack only a few years ago. Would those be reremixed or recycled? Who knows?
    The Yellow Sub Songtrack songs were remixed around 20 years ago now, so they could be considered due for an update.
    I would welcome remixes of Help and Rubber Soul, if only so they would use the new ones instead of those 1987 remixes.... :shrug:

J Alesait and tinnox like this.
  8. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

I've assembled an early tracklist for the White Album from images in the deluxe book:

1. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    2. Dear Prudence
    3. Piggies
    4. Helter Skelter
    5. Back in the U.S.S.R.
    6. Don't Pass Me By
    7. Long, Long, Long
    8. I Will
    9. On-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
    10. Cry Baby Cry
    11. Honey Pie
    12. Savoy Truffle
    13. Martha My Dear
    14. Happiness is a Warm Gun
    15. Blackbird
    16. Mother Nature's Son
    17. Good Night
    18. Rocky Raccoon
    19. Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
    20. What's the New Mary Jane
    21. Yer Blues
    22. Birthday
    23. Sexy Sadie
    24. Glass Onion

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

It looks to me that this was created specifically for the book, taking the titles handwritten in the actual lyrics that they have manuscripts available of (copy and paste for lack of a better term they section that includes the song title since they appear in each song in the exact same font and style) and put in order to be something of a table of contents for that section of the book. Just my theory which has probably already been discussed, but I have finally started to dive into this set and book! And man are we lucky that Linda was around to take some really great photos of these sessions.

Still trying to figure out who and for what purpose the song descriptions on the next page are for, guessing John , but wondering what for, press I would guess.

jmxw and tinnox like this.
  10. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Spending time with the box, I have come to see how much the band tended to really be a band on Lennon’s songs. John is often absent from George’s songs, and Paul’s are a real mix in terms of how much band participation there is. But most of John’s songs feature the Beatles as a band.

Glass Onion. Bungalow Bill. Warm Gun. I’m So Tired. Yer Blues. Sexy Sadie. Me and My Monkey. Cry Baby Cry. The slow and fast Revolutions. Birthday (assuming he co-made it up on the spot). Dear Prudence has great participation from the boys, even with Ringo absent.

When it came time to do John’s songs, they were The Beatles. The only convential song with John singing that didn’t feature the band was Julia.

This is a sign of many things. How much they were still his band and followed his lead. How many Paul songs didn’t call for a conventional Beatle lineup. How little interest John had in George and Ringo songs. John was still a rock and roller, and he wanted to play rock and roll song with his band, and they all joined in on his songs.

11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Weird listing. Looks like 'Good Night' might've closed Side 3 instead?

tinnox likes this.
  12. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Exactly what I was thinking...

tinnox likes this.
  13. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Excellent theory. Are Back in the USSR, Helter Skelter and Ob-La-Di Ob-La Da not in your box?

One might also look at the evidence and say that Lennon didn't have the skills / temerity to complete a song without the support of the full compliment of the others unlike, say, Ringo or George.

Spencer R and tinnox like this.
  14. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

I’m not sure I understand your reply. I didn’t say that the band played on NONE of Paul’s songs, just that he had quite a few that had different arrangements. It wasn’t criticism or praise of Paul. Just a difference between John and Paul on this particular album. One isn’t good and the other bad. I was struck by how much John songs were full band performances.

And I don’t think you really mean to suggest that John was less prepared than Ringo to execute his own songs, do you? Just listen to the Esher demos. John could have put his songs across by himself, but he chose to do them with the Beatles.

15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...and Ringo required a great deal of help.

tinnox likes this.
  16. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I just thought that a lot folks would like to know that @schnitzerphilip has wished us all a Happy New Year in this message he PMed to some of us.

[​IMG]Below is from schnitzerphilip,...
    [​IMG]

Well, well, well.

Hope you all had a Happy New Year.

17. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

how about that, someone over there and back then wanted Hey Jude included also

milco and tinnox like this.
  18. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

No. See post 34459 above.

tinnox likes this.
  19. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

yeah it does look like each song has it's own specific non-handwritten fonts

tinnox likes this.
  20. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

Funny how Lady Madonna is snuck in.

21. I don’t understand the meaning of this post. Who’s schnitzerphilip?

BeatlesObsessive and tinnox like this.
  22. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Someone who's not allowed to come here and defend himself. An easy target for the bully brigade.

tinnox and Gila like this.
  23. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Maybe one of the depressed songs John said he wrote in India (I never felt there were that many).
    Very interesting notebook! There are numbers and annotations that need to be decrypted and pages shining through that might tell us something about the order the songs were written (or written down in that notebook at least - I think this is rather a collection of songs considered for recording than a process of one being added after the other while composing). Thanks for making that mystery song "visible"!

btomarra and tinnox like this.
  24. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Page 1377 shows those notebook pages I`m talking about, just to deliever context.

tinnox likes this.
  25. Bulletin31

Bulletin31 Well-Known Member

Played the new remix (deluxe cd edition) for the first time last night got to the end of bungalow bill and to my horror ‘ay-up’ was missing!! Anyone else noticed this??

Ken Wood and tinnox like this.