Rami Malek is Freddie Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Me too. Wonder if there will be deleted scenes other than Live Aid - I seem to recall the cast mentioning one or two other scenes that were cut.

2. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Only caught it this week but very much enjoyed it.
    The theatre was about 2/3 full [about 150 folks] and still many showings this week.

3. Peace N. Love

I was at the theatre a few nights ago to see something else and sign on the door said BR was sold out that night. Still going strong.

darryl hollingsworth likes this.
  4. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Roger Daltrey has been trying to make a biopic of Keith Moon for years …………….. with very little progress.
    It may be a good idea to make a film around him and John Entwistle, as they spent a lot of time together whilst on tour ………….. if they just want it based around his 'on tour' antics.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"BR" was in 13th place last weekend and has lost 80% of the theaters it started in when it opened, so I don't think that's really "going strong". It's good for 9 weeks in but it looks "stronger" than it is because it's on so few screens.

"Titanic" was #1 its 15th week and didn't drop to #13 until its 27th week - now THAT'S going strong! :D

darryl hollingsworth likes this.
  6. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Titanic is the second highest grossing movie ever behind only Avatar and in front of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. That's a bit of an unfair comparison.

Where did you get the info about the amount of theaters its playing in? (I didn't know you could find out that info, and I enjoy keeping track of movies).

I looked on Box Office Mojo and it had it down at 11th place in the U.S on the 2nd.

Music biopics don't usually get anywhere close to what Bohemian Rhapsody has though. Straight Outta Compton was previously the highest with $200 million.

It's made over $714 million now, it went up quick enough from $600 million to that, so it's still got to be doing pretty well worldwide.

Then there's this, which I saw earlier. So it's still got more to go...

"TOKYO — They are calling it the “Bohemian Rhapsody” phenomenon here, as the movie that celebrates the band Queen and the life of lead singer Freddie Mercury has rapidly become a national cultural obsession in South Korea and Japan.

In South Korea, a country of 51 million people, the film has already sold 9.4 million tickets, with box office receipts of $72 million, second only to the United States and even overtaking those in the band’s native Britain, according to film industry data.

Rising fast, in fourth place globally with receipts of $56 million already, lies Japan, where word of mouth has played a key role in widening the film’s audience since it opened in early November.

In South Korea, Queen-related events are being held across the country, including an exhibition of the photos by the band’s official photographer, Richard Young, and a hastily arranged tour by British tribute band the Bohemians.

Queen songs are taking over South Korean national television as well, appearing in commercials and reality shows. A major broadcaster replayed the 1985 Live Aid concert in December, while young singers from the nation’s enormously popular K-pop bands staged a tribute ensemble in a televised year-end show.

In Tokyo, the movie is discussed endlessly in company cafeterias, bars and restaurants. Fans share their favorite scenes, including those that made them weep, and even trade tips on which movie theaters allow people to stand up, sing and dance along with the songs.

That in itself is quite something in reserved Japan, where moviegoers usually sit in absolute silence, even through the credits at the end of films.

It is not uncommon for people to see the film twice or more, with some confessing on social media how they are “hooked” or “addicted” to some of the songs. At one movie theater in Nagoya, in central Japan, moviegoers are being offered a 200-yen ($1.90) discount if they turn up in a Queen T-shirt, 400 yen if they wear a white tank top and 700 yen for full Freddie Mercury attire.

The band has always been popular in Japan, where its successful 1975 tour helped launch it on the path to global fame. Music Life magazine rated Queen as the most popular Western band every year but one from 1975 to 1982, ahead of bands such as Led Zeppelin and Kiss.

But what has been more surprising is how the film’s appeal has spread to a younger generation unfamiliar with Queen until now. Social media is buzzing with stories of parents recommending that their sons and daughters go to the movie. Sharing musical taste across generations is also somewhat unusual in the world of Japanese pop culture.

The country’s conservative prime minister, Shinzo Abe, went to see the movie on New Year’s Day, telling reporters afterward only that it was “good.”

One popular tabloid newspaper, Nikkan Gendai Digital, whose audience is mainly middle-aged men, even published an article suggesting “three tricks” to sound more like Mercury when singing his songs in karaoke bars or at year-end company parties.

The tips, from someone who apparently teaches an entire class on the subject, included opening your mouth vertically, using your abdomen to breathe, using a little vibrato and even pumping your fist while singing.

In interviews, guitarist Brian May has spoken warmly of the band’s relationship with its fans in Japan and thanked fans in South Korea for the “incredible” audience figures there. Mercury even had a Japanese garden at home, boosting a sense of affinity with the country.

Critics said that the movie’s success was inspired partly by nostalgia for an era when music produced huge stars who could transcend all age groups in their appeal, but that it was also very much based on the enduring popularity of Queen’s music.

It also appears that Mercury’s troubled life has struck a chord here: On social media, fans talked of taking courage from his “struggles” and relating to his “vulnerability.”

The movie attracted some criticism in the United States and Britain for toning down the wilder side of Mercury’s life and his drug use and for taking liberties with chronologies and historical accuracy. That has been less of a concern here to people less acquainted with the band’s lead singer, London-based journalist Ginko Kobayashi wrote in a blog post."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...eps-japan-south-korea/?utm_term=.4f1f1150c859

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    RocksOff87 likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

BOM lists current # of screens - that's where I saw it was now at about 800 screens after premiering on 4000.

It was 13th for the weekend - I guess it bounced back to 11th for 1/2! ;)

I don't mean to diminish the film's success - I think it's a lousy movie but I can't argue it's not been a big hit.

Just thought comments about how it's "going strong" weren't really accurate. It's doing fine for a movie that's been out 2 months but "going strong" implies it's still raking in big bucks... :shrug:

misterbozz likes this.
  8. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I just saw via Wikipedia that it has grossed 714 million worldwide!! :eek:

Drifter likes this.
  9. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

For a music biopic, it is raking in big bucks.

RocksOff87 likes this.
  10. Peace N. Love

The "going strong" was just in reference to my local, which tends to not pack the crowds in, so I was surprised to see BH sold out at this point.

Oatsdad likes this.
  11. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

I watched an Oscar Screener last nite and was hoping to be able to overlook the chronology issues. Alas, I couldn't. Even more bothersome than "Fat Bottomed Girls" playing during the '74 tour, was insinuating that "We Will Rock You" originated in the 80's. No, just...NO!

12. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I’m an avid cyclist for many, many years. When American Fliers and Breaking Away came out me and my riding pals were just happy to see cycling themed films. Neither were too accurate, but still, it was cool. Maybe the same w this movie?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  13. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

American Fliers and Breaking Away are two of my nostalgic favorites ever. I don't even cycle, Im just a sucker for a good racing/competition flick.

Vinny123 likes this.
  14. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Breaking Away is a classic.

soundboy, Michael Rose and rontoon like this.
  15. pablo fanques

It would have been cool to have a scene depicting the events that led to "Death on Two Legs" but, given the resultant law suit, I can see why they left that part out

16. pablo fanques

The only other band that comes close is The Kinks and they never went NEAR opera, just music hall and vaudeville

17. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

I can confirm this movie has been a big hit in Japan. Very odd, but then this is karaoke land. I explain I'd rather watch the real thing.

18. Rami best actor Golden Globe. And best film drama.

keyXVII, Peace N. Love, 905 and 6 others like this.
  19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Remarkable.

20. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Fantastic!

21. Really? I mean, I just saw the whole Golden Globes broadcast, and my wife and I were both like "really?"!?

Neither of us have seen the film, and I'll grant that it may be quite good. But, really, is it really THAT good? :wtf:

22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I think it was the popularity of Queen rather than the absolute quality of the film. It's honestly not on my top 10 films of the year.

lbangs likes this.
  23. The Globes separate drama and cinedy films.

My fave of the year was Roma which one best director deserved.

24. 10cc. I mean "Une Nuit A Paris" inspired Freddie to put together "BR" (the song).

Drifter and pablo fanques like this.
  25. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

I bet no-one could foresee the Golden Globes wins! *

* Except Brian May and Roger Taylor