Playing 4 speakers at once

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dennis1077, Dec 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Personally I don't have a problem with volume controls that default to a fixed low setting whenever the system is first powered up. It can be alarming to get a sudden blast of loud sound when it's unexpected. It's especially appreciated when turning on the system while others may still be asleep (but plan on listening at very low levels.)

2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

People can choose as they like. If I want a nanny than I will hire one. I don't have any equipment that decides for me what it will be doing in my system. I decide what it will and not be doing in my system.

When manufacturer's decide that they will introduce a feature that I don't particularly car for and do not want and do not prefer to use, no problem, I just don't buy their equipment.

Other friend's or family members use my gear only after I have instructed them on how to properly operate it.

Some how, I have managed to have decent stereo gear for a half century and have not blown out my ears or damaged my speakers by turning on any amplifier that I have ever owned.

If I don't want an amplifier to come on loud, I either turn down the volume before I turn it off or before I turn it back on.

Since I have an extreme dislike for digital volume controls or even powered analog volume controls, I keep my volume level controls where I sit, so that I may easily adjust them, without touching a remote control, which I do have, if I have a reason to use any of them.

[​IMG]

The Peachtree iNova integrated amp on the bottom controls the volume of the front mains. The Peachtree musicBox on top controls the volume of the rear speaker's when in the 2-channel stereo mode and the Emotiva Control Freak, black analog remote volume control, goes between the tube preamp and what ever tube power amp that I am currently using, to control the volume level on the A7's.

This entire thread seems to be laced with all sorts of terrible things that can happen.

I read them and continue doing what I was doing...

waaguirr likes this.
  3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

My receiver decides what I tell it to.

SandAndGlass and Bill Mac like this.
  4. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

I'm stuck with the pushbutton volume controls with the remote control units I have running through the tape monitor loops of the main preamps in both of my systems. Unfortunately it's either that or lose the remote control function so it's a tradeoff I can live with.

Occasionally I'll shut off the tape monitor if I want to control volume directly from the main preamplifier.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree! It's a battle but no way is my processor getting the upper hand :D!

SandAndGlass and shokhead like this.
  6. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Most important words of this entire thread! One of the best cars...EVER!!

Sorry for the digression. We now return you to your regularly scheduled audio programming.

7. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

My '69 GTO, my brother and my boss, taken 1974.
    [​IMG]

8. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

That GOAT looks like a real beauty. Too bad it's partially obscured by your brother and your boss. I had a gold '70 GTO in MINT condition (I bought it secondhand in late 1973 or early 1974 from my neighbor who was the original owner). My best friend had an incredible dark blue '69.

Not mine, but it looked almost exactly like this one:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    SandAndGlass, Bill Mac and The FRiNgE like this.
  9. SandAndGlass

Was your model the JUDGE?

10. The FRiNgE

This GTO was a special order car by the original owner. He wanted a Judge but didn't like the stripe, so this one was officially a base model, but had experimental heads! (YS engine but put out a lot more hp) It had the 400 turbo trans, and probably the only GTO with a column shifter. (ordered that way as a "stripped down Judge") I sold it in late '75 to move on to a '66 MGB (just something different) and a Honda 305 Super Hawk. I regretted selling it, so a month later called the guy. He totaled the car. I asked to see it! It flipped end over end, in excess of 100 MPH, the top flattened to the doors and the quarter panels bent up at a 45 degree angle, every panel completely demolished. The driver and two passengers were uninjured, as he screamed to them to get down! They were not wearing their set belts.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  11. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I would make a JOKE about going off topic in this thread, but ONLY 10% would get it! :)

The FRiNgE likes this.
  12. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Nope, just a regular stock GTO with a 400 cubic inch engine and 400 ponies! Hurst shifter on the floor, posi, maybe 14 mpg on leaded premium BEST case scenario, 7-8 mpg the way I liked to drive it! Not the fastest car I've owned (0-60 about 6.6 or 6.7 secs) but definitely the sweetest sounding. Loved the growl from those dual exhausts, each with double chrome-tipped tailpipes. Could burn rubber in all four gears and the torque would never fail to pin you to the back of your seat. What I wouldn't give for a chance to drive it again in its 1974 condition!

13. Hymie the Robot

My friend, in the 80's, had two Harman Kardon amps in his car's trunk. One running two subs and another running two quality door speakers (Boston Acoustic). It did at first sound like the rear needed some "fill", but after that initial "shock" it was very simple to enjoy the full range sound! Man that dude was ahead of the times...

SteelyNJ and The FRiNgE like this.
  14. Hymie the Robot

...with 2019 brakes!

SteelyNJ likes this.
  15. The FRiNgE

The GTO had streetable performance. The engineers at Pontiac developed a superior head, die cut combustion chambers, large valves and refined ports that translated into a flat torque curve. The GTO's were responsive, "explosive acceleration" and won a lot of races on the street. It's not all about max hp, it's how quickly the engine develops it, and how instantaneous the torque. I raced a 440 Charger and Mustang Boss 351 Mustang on the street, Camaros, Chevelles ..... never lost a race. Forget the Duster 340, not a chance, the poor guy!

16. shokhead

Funny how fast that 0-60 was then and how slow it is today.

17. The FRiNgE

Yes! Part of that tires, and a 6 speed trans.. more hp, better weight transfer to the wheels (more traction) ... how it gets down to the pavement. The GTO was light on the back end, traction always a problem.

SteelyNJ likes this.
  18. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Apologies to everyone for continuing to run this thread off-topic (I would say it was going nowhere fast anyway), but my GTO story parallels yours in some ways. Sometime in late '74 or '75 the gas crisis hit BIG TIME and all of a sudden the gas-guzzling GTO was a headache and a liability. I sold it to a screwball guy I knew who promptly got involved in a few major accidents with it, beat the crap out of it and ultimately blew the engine entirely. He replaced it with a stock 350 CID 4-barrel Lemans engine and continued to drive it around, masquerading it as a GTO. For my part, I picked up a red 1973 Toyota Celica with front-wheel drive, a manual trans and decent gas mileage on regular fuel.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  19. Hymie the Robot

Duster 340 :)

The FRiNgE likes this.
  20. SandAndGlass

My fastest 60's era muscle cars were an Olds 442, it was pretty fast for a sedan.

I had a '67 mid-year Vette convertible with side pipes. It had a 327, a close ratio T-10 transmission, and a 411 rear end. I don't know how fast it was, but it was pretty quick. No AC, or power steering...

21. shokhead

:laugh:My fastest is my 4400 pound SUV.:p

SandAndGlass and SteelyNJ like this.
  22. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Yes, but that GTO "felt" faster and sounded much sweeter than any of the faster cars I've owned since! The fun factor was very high!

SandAndGlass and The FRiNgE like this.
  23. shokhead

Hell yes!

The FRiNgE likes this.
  24. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

The Olds 442 was built on the same midsize GM platform as the Pontiac GTO, the Chevy Chevelle SS and the Buick GS or whatever it was called. I think the Olds was the most upscale of those cars and what it might have lacked in performance (not much) it made up in style and appointments.

SandAndGlass and Hymie the Robot like this.
  25. Hymie the Robot

...'69 Dodge Coronet 500. No 440 Super Bee but engine upgraded to a 360! Only one ticket!

SandAndGlass, The FRiNgE and SteelyNJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.