MoFi Ultradeck Vs. StudioDeck

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mmmark, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have been looking into these two TT's, wondering if and how the higher cost for the UltraDeck could be justified (especially now that they've just increased the price on the UltraDeck). I am aware of the actual differences as far as specs, but wondering if they would necessarily translate into audible improvements that would justify the premium.
    As a follow up, wondering if anybody with experience with the StudioTracker cartridge could compare it to say, an Ortofon Blue. Wondering if it's worth buying the package instead of just the TT.

Heckto35 and displayname like this.
  2. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

When these first started to come out I believe someone on this forum directly compared the Blue to the StudioTracker. Maybe someone else will remember or find it quickly.

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The MOFI carts appear to be rebodied AT designs. No other MM cartridge I'm aware of uses the "dual V magnets" other than AT. Maybe these are rebodied AT95 series carts kinda like Clearaudio does theirs? At any rate they seem expensive for what they are.

4. waterclocker

waterclocker Forum Resident

I've got the UltraDeck with the UltraTracker. It was a nice jump up from my old Technics SL-1300.
    I feel that it could be more substantial for what you pay, but it is a good sounding combo and I liked it's
    features better than others in the price range. The new price bump would make for a harder decision, you
    are getting close to come really nice VPI tables.

I really like the UltraTracker, but I'm wondering if an AT VM540ML or 740 wouldn't be comparable and
    with a better stylus profile. I've heard a couple times that Mofi denies it being a rebodied AT. The marketing
    terminology is just too close to AT's for me to believe that though.

I'm now tempted to upgrade to a VPI Prime. The Mofi was a gateway drug for me and I upgraded everything
    else in my vintage system after getting it. The Prime would be quieter and have better motor isolation.

displayname likes this.
  5. Mmmark

Please PM me if you are seriously considering upgrading and selling your MoFi....

displayname likes this.
  6. displayname

I think it’s totally possible that MoFi has AT building the carts, but building to a unique spec based on Perkins designs. I think it’s not simply a rebodied AT, but it is built side by side with the AT carts, possibly using some of the same parts.

Not saying it’s better or worse. Just saying it probably isn’t just a rebadged cart.

HiFi Guy and Davey like this.
  7. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

So you're saying the MoFi has motor isolation issues? I've been looking to upgrade from my Pro-Ject Xpression to a table with a quieter motor. I was thinking about the Studiodeck.

8. waterclocker

waterclocker Forum Resident

I wouldn't say it's a big issue, this excerpt from Stereophile describes it well. It's probably hard to completely isolate when it's built into the plinth and the Prime is well renowned for it's quietness.

"On their website, MoFi states that "Motor vibrations are kept away from the platter and stylus by using advanced [damping] materials that decouple the motor from the rest of the turntable." With the motor running but the belt not yet installed, I used a stethoscope to listen separately to the UltraDeck's plinth, platter, and tonearm bearing yolk. I could easily hear the 300rpm motor vibrating through all three. The vibration's amplitude was similar to what I heard in Rega Research's Planar 3 turntable, and, as I said about the Rega in my February 2017 column, this obvious noise must contribute, however subliminally, to the sonic texture of the music being played."
    Read more at Gramophone Dreams #20: Lounge Audio & MoFi UltraDeck Page 2

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If MOFI actually released full specs for their carts it would be very easy to see. AT has made carts for other companies and usually the specs don't differ all that much from the analogous AT model. If you had a sample of each it would be fairly easy to test them. Given the output and the weight of MOFI's arm I'd suspect these are based on the 95 series rather than the 500 series of AT carts. Again, Clearaudio does the same thing.

displayname likes this.
  10. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I would imagine it's more of an issue for the Studiodeck, than the Ultradeck.

11. displayname

These few sentences have caused SO much debate. Some people put a lot of stock in that specific test. Other's may not.
    I do think moving forward if anyone references that article, they should also reference this one... from the same publication: Stereophile's Products of 2018 Analog Component of the Year

cut-out likes this.
  12. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Look into a Music Hall MMF 7.3, a decoupled motor with built in electronic speed change, no motor noise and great sound.

displayname likes this.
  13. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

MoFi increased the price on the StudioDeck TT too, so it might be time to take a good look at alternatives from other makers as well... unless you have your heart set on your next ‘table being a MoFi.

Heckto35, patient_ot and displayname like this.
  14. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Looks nice. If I could find one under a grand I would jump on it.

DigMyGroove likes this.
  15. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I don't suppose anybody has any further thoughts or confirming/disconfirming experience on this suspicion? I think it's safe to say these are made by AT (they even use the term "Micro Linear" for the MasterTracker stylus, which I believe is a shape exclusive to AT styli...). But do we know if they are actually closer to VM95 series than VM500 series, or if they perform completely differently from AT's own carts?

I already have a VM95EN, which I suspect may bottleneck the performance of the MoFi decks (if the MoFi carts are not in fact similar to the VM95 series), but being able to use my existing budget AT cart on one of these might allow me to spring for an UltraDeck rather than a StudioDeck (or, at the very least, might allow me to grab a StudioDeck sooner, or put the $150 difference toward an even better cart to go on the StudioDeck). It's not that I'm looking to get a nice turntable and then cheap out on the cartridge, but if the cheap cartridge I already have is basically what I would get as part of the package, I'd rather not buy another version of the same thing but with a stylus I can't change myself (or upgrade to ML, which is probably something I would do).

Heckto35 likes this.
  16. displayname

If you like the cart I would suggest getting the UD and upgrading the cart later.
    If you get the studiodeck, you can't transform it into the ultradeck later. If you get the UD you can upgrade the cart at any time, even if it's not for months or even years from now.

HiFi Guy, punkmusick and Big Blue like this.
  17. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yeah, my thinking is really back and forth between accepting that StudioDeck may be a decent compromise of getting most of the way there and being pretty happy for lower outlay, and "no, damnit, I want all the better stuff!" Which probably means holding out longer, but I'm sure it's worth the wait. When I look at the current prices without cartridges at MD, I am pretty capable of doing the mental gymnastics to get to "if I'm spending $1200, why not just spend $800 more? That's not even double!"

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The big clue for me is the mass of the arm. The initial published figures were incorrect but the arm is still supposed to be over 20g in mass. Not a good match for the higher compliance 500 series. Therefore the MOFI carts are likely based on the VM95 design, just like Clearaudio MM carts.

19. displayname

I considered the studiodeck because the price difference is significant. But I knew I'd always be lusting for the ultradeck if I went that way. I decided to wait a little longer and simply be done with it.
    Based on your statements, I'd advise the same. Even if it's not the UD it sounds like even if you don't go up a class you'll wish you did.

I consider the next class up pretty much financially out of reach for the next 5ish years, so I went as high as I knew I could be comfortable with so that section of my system would be "done."

Heckto35 and Big Blue like this.
  20. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

I’m sorry that I can’t offer the OP a comparison between the two but I do have and love the UD. As far as the motor noise.....you’d never know it! With my best pressings I get super black backgrounds. Soundstage and imaging is fantastic. It’s really a sweet table. The Ultratracker is nice as well, but if a vocal has sibilance, the UT will find and reveal it ...so not the best at tracking those frequencies. I’ll be upgrading the cart at some point this year.

Heckto35 likes this.
  21. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

No.....it doesn’t.

22. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yeah, even looking seriously at either of these has been a case of letting my price range creep up past what my budget should really be asked to handle (which has been how I have approached basically all of my A/V purchases...). However, I don't think anything lower than the StudioDeck's price range will be a satisfying enough upgrade to me. Having a pretty good ear for pitch, I really need something with accurate and stable speed, so I think these are probably where I need to be looking.

I have read opinions that the mass of the MoFi tonearms may limit cartridge options and rule out Grado carts in particular, but I have also read about people using a Grado on UltraDecks and being happy with it. I wonder if the arm on the UltraDeck has better enough bearings and damping that widen the range of supported cartridge compliance? If so, I think that's a significant argument for the more expensive model.

Heckto35 and displayname like this.
  23. displayname

"I really need something with accurate and stable speed" - I have zero issues with stability or pitch control on the UD. Having said that, I believe the 1200GR should probably be considered as well. The UD and GR have the same spec for W&F, but the GR does have pitch adjustment which could be valuable for you. If you can demo both, I think you should.

"I have read opinions that the mass of the MoFi tonearms may limit cartridge options and rule out Grado carts in particular" - The only place I have heard this has been on forums, and based on formulas, not listening. I know a few people who's opinions I trust that are happily using Grado carts with their UD. Although not many people are running Grado carts on UDs currently, I have yet to hear of anyone that did not enjoy the pairing.

HiFi Guy and Big Blue like this.
  24. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Interesting thought. To be honest, I haven't truly considered a DJ turntable as an option because they tend to look like, well, DJ gear, and aesthetics are a consideration because it will be in our living room. However, this one doesn't look as "bad" as most models, since they went with a black design. I have also had reservations about the noise normally associated with DD, but it seems like they have possibly addressed this with the GR model. I think you may be right about checking them both out.

Pythonman and displayname like this.
  25. Mmmark

I would venture to suggest that Technics solved the noise issue a long time ago. Their DD system has always been pretty darn good!

displayname and Big Blue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.