Pink Floyd Immersion Sets- why so expensive

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jam757, Jan 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident Thread Starter

So recently I started browsing for these just mostly interested in the 5.1 blu ray mixes. I’m seeing these ridiculous prices $200, $300, or even much more. I’m sorry but this pisses me off and it’s not right. Even a brand new 6 disc set of blu-rays or Cd’s should never be more than $40-50. People want these and they should be readily made available. There should be stand alone blu ray audio releases of each album no more than $15-20. Let’s vent!

2. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

Im finding Pink Floyd reissue vinyl in general is priced on the high side. Someone at the record company is trying to back some serious bucks. Individual CDs arent too bad though.

3. Jam757

I love David Gilmour but still feel he could take a more active role in controlling at least some of this. The choice to release an Early Years box set at more than $500 is a slap in the face. I would have much preferred the Zeppelin route of deluxe edition albums with new bonus material. They are milking the cash cow of success to the fullest. I’ve also found the blu ray concerts (although incredible and I love them) to be horrendously over priced.

4. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

dav-here, mbrownp1, Clucking and 6 others like this.
  5. Jam757

Thanks, yes, I looked there also but unless I see one for around $45 no purchase from me. Possibly someday we’ll get stand alone blu ray audio releases. That’s all I need anyway.

Doggiedogma and Christopher B like this.
  6. Jam757

Animals gets treated like the red headed step child I guess because Roger and Dave really hated each other by then. Best album for me is Animals bar none. Other worldly material on that one. I also feel the Final Cut is a staggering masterpiece, I love it almost as much as The Wall.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    SteveRes, Fullbug, Sean and 11 others like this.
  7. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Well, the early years box set looks the immersion box sets very cheap :D

Shvartze Shabbos and Jam757 like this.
  8. Jam757

True I guess unless you added up each album for the Immersion sets. That would come to a lot.

9. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

They are very nice boxes with excellent essential stuff (well, not "The Wall" maybe ). $40-50 for them is not reasonable, not even close.

MPLRecords likes this.
  10. Jam757

I question “essential” although like I said I’d love to have the 5.1 mix. $40-50 is very reasonable when you consider approximately $10 per disc in a set. In fact I believe they were around $60 or so when they came out so I guess my real gripe is why are they only making a few thousand of these if we need around a million or more?

Doggiedogma likes this.
  11. paustin0816

Yep, I couldn't agree more. I have loved the Final Cut since its release....when I was in high school.

Buddybud, Sean, thgord and 3 others like this.
  12. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

It's because they are out of print. I paid $100 for mine when it came out. I agree that they should sell a standalone Blu-ray disc with the quad and 5.1 mixes on it at a reasonable price.

13. Jam757

I know why they’re so expensive, I get it, it’s a supply and demand thing. That’s where ole Dave could help the fans out. Yes, I want the quad mix too but why not a separate release? At this point why not separate releases of all of the components of the sets? There’s demand for it. $100 is still too much in my opinion. Let’s fire up the blu ray Machine and get some more of these printed.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  14. Jam757

Hell, some people get pissed off about having to pay $100 for a high quality 5-6lp set. We’re talking about blu rays and cds here so I think $100 and up is exorbitant for some extras that aren’t really all that important except for collectibility.

15. Pink Floyd stuff has always remained fairly expensive, even on the used market. I think if the Immersion sets were being released today, they would be priced even higher.

DSOTM and WYWH Immersions sets provide enough added value that I didn't have a real problem buying them upon release.

16. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I guess I'm getting old... If something is priced higher than I'm willing to pay I just decide to live without it and move on. I don't get pissed off.

Buddybud, bluesky, ARK and 17 others like this.
  17. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Marbles don't grow on trees.

18. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

The best stuff is on the studio albums which are widely available and low priced. The reason for the Immersion box sets is to make money for Pink Floyd and it's partners. I'm a big fan from long ago and I don't see any reason to buy marbles.

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Why do you feel it's David Gilmour that has the responsibility of controlling pricing of Pink Floyd releases? There are two other band members that being Roger Waters and Nick Mason. It's interesting that you call out David Gilmour on this and not Waters and Mason.

Jam757 likes this.
  20. Jam757

You’re right, maybe I should be calling out Waters!

21. Jam757

I did see that Wish You Were Here SACD just got a reissue and can be had for $32 off of Amazon so very happy to see that. I’d like to see the other titles follow suit.

22. paustin0816

there has been a lot of talk about a possible upcoming Animals 5.1 release (woooo hooo).

here's the link to that discussion Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1

St. Troy and Jam757 like this.
  23. paustin0816

heres the link https://www.amazon.com/Wish-Were-He...1547002020&sr=8-6&keywords=wish+you+were+here

I'm not a huge fan of Wish You Were Here (I have always felt it was overrated and prefer Animals to it any day of the week). But I would definitely pick this up, im a sucker for 5.1.

Jam757 likes this.
  24. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

17 posts into the thread, and someone finally mentions marbles. Good thing I'm not a betting man, as when I saw the thread title I'd have sworn it wouldn't get 10 posts in before they made an appearance. :)

no.nine, Sean, milankey and 2 others like this.
  25. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Did anybody wear the scarf or use the coasters that came in the Immersion Box Set?

Sean and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.