The American Society of Cinematographers Chooses the Top 100 Films of the 20th Century*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jan 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Here's a great list of some of the best-photographed films in history as chosen by the ASC on their 100th anniversary. Anybody looking for great Blu-ray or 4K Blu-ray discs of beautiful images to show off your system, check out some of these classic films. (And yes, that's DP Freddie Young's LAWRENCE OF ARABIA at #1.)

ASC Unveils List of 100 Milestone Films in Cinematography of the 20th Century - The American Society of Cinematographers

[​IMG]

2. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

3. Blade Runner at #2 is an...interesting pick. Not what I would have gone with, and 2001 is way too low.

apesfan, Kyhl and Frederick Mars like this.
  4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Not that I ever gave it any thought before, but I would have never thought that the ASC had gone back 100-years.

But thinking about it, by 1915, films had gotten more sophisticated than the earlier Mack Sennett comedies, before that time.

I remember now how the movie business had become by 1920, it does make sense. Such a long time ago in movie history.

Number 2 on the list was a complete surprise, even though I thoroughly enjoyed both the movie and the photography.

Number 8 was not a surprise, as I've always enjoyed the photography in this film, since I first view the movie. That it received this level of recognition, is admirable.

5. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Pleased to see The Unforgiven there.

6. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

No mention of Gunnar Fischer, who shot Ingmar Bergman classics like “Wild Strawberries” and “The Seventh Seal.”

7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

The Top 10:
    1. Lawrence of Arabia (1962), shot by Freddie Young, BSC (Dir. David Lean)

[​IMG]
    2. Blade Runner (1982), shot by Jordan Cronenweth, ASC (Dir. Ridley Scott)

[​IMG]
    3. Apocalypse Now (1979), shot by Vittorio Storaro, ASC, AIC (Dir. Francis Ford Coppola)

[​IMG]
    4. Citizen Kane (1941), shot by Gregg Toland, ASC (Dir. Orson Welles)

[​IMG]
    5. The Godfather (1972), shot by Gordon Willis, ASC (Dir. Francis Ford Coppola)

[​IMG]

polchik, Dan C and enro99 like this.
  8. budwhite

6. Raging Bull (1980), shot by Michael Chapman, ASC (Dir. Martin Scorsese)

[​IMG]
    7. The Conformist (1970), shot by Vittorio Storaro, ASC, AIC (Dir. Bernardo Bertolucci)

[​IMG]
    8. Days of Heaven (1978), shot by Néstor Almendros, ASC (Dir. Terrence Malick)

[​IMG]
    9. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), shot by Geoffrey Unsworth, BSC with additional photography by John Alcott, BSC (Dir. Stanley Kubrick)

[​IMG]
    10. The French Connection (1971), shot by Owen Roizman, ASC (Dir. William Friedkin)

[​IMG]

9. budwhite

Lawrence of Arabia deserves the number one spot.
    Also good choice to put Days of Heaven on the the top ten.

Neither Empire strikes back nor Raiders of the lost ark made the top 100.

I've seen about 70-75 of the films listened.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  10. budwhite

Strange indeed.

11. Monosterio

Another conspicuous absence: Emmanuel Lubeszki (numerous Alfonso Cuarón films, Birdman, Tree of Life). He’s already won two Oscars.

12. A list of great films.

I was lucky enough to see good print of "Lawrence" in the 70's. It deserves top place. Every frame is beautiful. If you get a chance to see it on the big screen go and treat your eye balls.

13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

French Connection? Wow, never considered that.
    Days of Heaven--absolutely! I think I lost track of the times I said 'wow' when I saw it (and that was on TV), especially the locust sequence.

The only one I would add would be The Man Who Wasn't There. I thought the b&W was superb. And maybe Miller's Crossing.

14. The early scenes in the Godfather, at the wedding when people come to ask for favours from Brando, always impress me. So rich, dark and sharp.

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Lawrence ? Yeah, that's about it. But then I'm not a cinematographer. :)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Or of Sven Nykvist. Disappointing. In fact no Bergman films. Or Antonioni.

But they got a large number right, and I was particularly pleased that Days of Heaven made the top ten. Cinematography in general aside, that is perhaps the most visually beautiful film ever made.

And Lawrence of Arabia being my favorite film of all time, I can hardly argue with their first choice.

17. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Doesn't the list cut off at 2000?

Mechanical Man and crispi like this.
  18. Monosterio

I recall critics raving about how brilliantly Owen Roizman captured the grittiness of New York. That was only his second film, btw.

apesfan, Vidiot and The Panda like this.
  19. Monosterio

Nykvist is there, for Fanny and Alexander.

budwhite likes this.
  20. Monosterio

Ah, that would explain it. Thanks.

21. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I think for a Western, Open Range could have made this list (which I believe Vidiot worked on). The scenery in that film is just gorgeous. But I am no expert.

22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yea!!
    The opening of the movie sets the stage and mood of the picture (Vito ain'ta bad guy, he's just helping out people who the system defecates on) and that lighting through the blinds (almost completely closed--ahem) was really great.

23. htom

htom Senior Member

Actually, three Oscars in a row.

24. Blow-Up should have made the list.

25. Monosterio

Yep, I missed The Revenant, which followed Gravity and Birdman. He definitely would be on the list if it went up to today.

GMfan87' likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.