Polk LSiM speakers 58% - 67% off..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by riverrat, Jan 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Several years back, when BA wanted to step up their game a few notches, they came up with their flagship M-Series. They had them available for a complete 7.1 surround sound HT system. These were beautifully made, WAF, very high, gloss piano black, compact, and expensive. Not so much for audio speakers, but by the time you figured in the center channel, the surround's and sub, you were north of six grand.

To help the HT system sell, they cut the prices of the three different front speaker's in half. I bought one pair of their M-350's for $1,250 instead of $2,500. Later, I purchased a pair of the M340's and I managed to find an open box M-Center.

This still did not fly and BA quit the line and went back to less expensive speaker's. That was before completely going away altogether.

But, I considered their M-Series to like a little brother to Polk's LSiM series. I ended up using their M-350's are rear's for the LSiM707's front mains. That turned out to be a beautiful match.

62caddy likes this.
  2. SandAndGlass

That's really something, coming from a Tannoy guy.

Prior the the LSiM707's, I had their RTiA9's, which I also though were real nice speaker's. With Polk still running them at 40% off, a pair of the RTiA9's will run $900/pr. and the RTiA7's for $600/pr. that is a lot of speaker for these prices.

It is really hard to compete with a company, price wise, that is as large on a global scale as Polk. Here, economics of scale can really come into play.

Even having owned entry level Polk speakers like the Monitor 60's and 70's Series II, sometimes even I don't give Polk the respect that the company deserves. In addition to a large commercial sub, that I use in the front, I have a small Polk sub that I keep in the rear.

The sub is not really that small as it is Polk's largest sub, the DSW PRO 660, that has a 12" driver and a 400-Watt amp, but it isn't really a sub that you would normally associate with better quality audio components. I never paid a great deal of attention to it. I only bought it, because I was thinking that having a sub back there might add some bass reinforcement and the DSW PRO-660 was on sale for half off.

But, quite by accident one day, I began playing it with the vintage Altec's, which were driven by a small Decware class "A" 3.9-Watt amp and that paring turned out to be excellent. So, I guess, even I was guilty as charged. :)

3. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member Thread Starter

I bought my 705s in the fall of 2017. One speaker arrived with internal damage, sounded like crap. They shipped out a replacement and arranged for pickup of the damaged one with minimal hassle. That is my only experience with their service, and I'm happy with the speakers. Bummer to hear they might be declining..

I've seen rumors that the LSiM line is on the way out; and also that Polk may be consolidating their line a bit. Who knows if there will be a direct replacement for this series. Either way, I'll be keeping my 705s for the foreseeable future..

62caddy and SandAndGlass like this.
  4. SandAndGlass

I have heard rumors of the LSiM line going away, as well as the RTi line, but this has been a couple of years now.

Polk has changed their product line quite a bit over the years.

Still things happen, like their Monitor series morphing into the TSi series. Not the same, but close.

Here is a Monitor 70 Series II, on left. Here is a TSi500, on right (Cherry).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Still, when they can offer a speaker as nice as the Monitor 60 Series II (in black) for as little as $129.99, that says a lot.

I had a couple of pair of these, I gave the black pair to a friend, but still have the cherries. I bought the black pair in 2012 for 99.99.

[​IMG]

If they drop the LSiM line, my guess is that they will really hold on to their value on the used market.

5. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

When a pair of "refurbished" Polks arrived at a friend's house, the corner of one was slightly damaged. He had ordered through Polk Direct on eBay and at first they flapped around somewhat but after he sent pictures of the damage on their request they ultimately sent a replacement and took back the damaged unit.

Only other contact with Polk's customer service was for a replacement tweeter for an A7 that I damaged do to my own stupidity with a 17 kHz test tone. Speaker was out of warranty and the damage was my fault anyway. Since I'm a Polk Forum member, the gave me a 10% discount and promptly sent a replacement tweeter. I think it cost around $40.

rednedtugent and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Well the speakers arrived - took a whole 19 hours after ordering. Much larger than I expected. Will have my hands full tonight.

7. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

Congrats! Did you go 705's? I wanted the 707's but don't think they are the right choice for my room. I went as far as putting them in the cart and typing in the visa info...

8. rednedtugent

I'm off today, so I'll open up my offer to help @George P and @displayname
    with their issues dealing with Polk customer service. Please just give me
    the particulars and I can be on the phone all day.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

That ship has long since sailed for me, but thanks for the offer.

rednedtugent likes this.
  10. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Congrat's. Just be careful with unpacking the grills.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

Wow, that was quick. Let us know when you get them set up.

displayname likes this.
  12. rednedtugent

DANG IT! I just put the 707's back in the cart but can't do it.
    I think my room is just too small. The wife is away. Maybe
    I can just place them in the living room...
    I have the amps to drive them. 12X14 usable space...
    705s?

displayname likes this.
  13. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Not sure why you tagged me here. I have not had issues with Polk's service in anyway. I actually quite liked the 707s when I demoed them as I stated earlier in the thread. I liked George's post for sharing what I assume is an honest experience. Even if it is an outlier. He was just trying to contribute.

14. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a pretty large great room, and went with the 705s. They are plenty of speaker for me, and pretty large in their own right..

15. rednedtugent

@displayname Oh good to hear. I thought you liked someone's post who was... never mind.

@riverrat thanks. I'm thinking too much speaker for my room. At least
    in the bass.

displayname likes this.
  16. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I wanted 707's but felt the extra footprint size was going to be a deal breaker with my wife. I'm using the 705's in a 14'x32' room. The room is already busy with chairs, tables, TV and other stuff.
    The 705's are pretty big but was able to fit them in without it looking like a speaker room.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I think the higher end Polk speakers are great. I just question their marketing research by switching to such a goofy looking corporate Logo...just terrible

[​IMG]

Litejazz53 and 62caddy like this.
  18. SandAndGlass

We're still here, anxiously waiting... :waiting:

19. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

What’s a SIHAB?

rednedtugent likes this.
  20. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

You are the one that created a fake account at Polk using the handle SIHAB because you have an axe to grind with me as evidenced here. In fact, you were just warned at Polk to stop trolling me there. You should receive the same warning here.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. SandAndGlass

The 705's are 21-lbs. lighter in weight than the 707's. Piece of cake.

Very important tip! The grills are held on by small magnets and are supported at the bottom by a 3D polk name badge.

IT YOU BEND THE GRILLS, THEY WILL NOT STAY ON!

Words to the wise, be extra careful with the grills at all times!

F1nut has contributed to Polk Audio discussions on these forums, on many occasions and most of us recognize and welcome his contributions and observations.

62caddy likes this.
  22. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Thanks. The speakers will be separated by around 8 feet and the distance to listening position is roughly 14 feet. That's how I've been listening to the T1000 which is plenty for good stereo separation which should also suffice with the 705s. If you can manage placement along those lines, I think either the 705 or 707 should work. I'll report later after I've gotten everything set up.

rednedtugent and displayname like this.
  23. rednedtugent

Anyway great news on the new speaks!

displayname likes this.
  24. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Had the UPS guy load them right into the truck to take home tonight. Have a friend coming over to give me a hand getting them inside and set up.

Just fit in the 5 1/2' bed of the Sierra. The place even put them in another box for extra protection. Even when I bought from Polk directly, they never did that.

[​IMG]

aroney and SandAndGlass like this.
  25. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Just ordered a pair of 707's! Couldn't resist for the price (and positive reviews). :D

I have an Emotiva XPA-200 that puts out 150 watts at 8 ohms. Hopefully that will be enough to drive them well.

displayname, 62caddy and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.