The American Society of Cinematographers Chooses the Top 100 Films of the 20th Century*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jan 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Excellent list.

I've seen 61 of the 100 films listed. I'm embarrassed to say I still have not seen their #1. Need to fix that as soon as possible.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Jason Manley likes this.
  2. Good to see that political correctness didn't keep "Manhatten" off the list.

thgord and rockerreds like this.
  3. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Thanks for posting all of the still images.

Didn't Haskell Wexler also do some work on Days of Heaven? I was not surprised to see Storaro's name more than once, his compositions are legendary. Also, with Gordon Willis, glad to see him getting the love. He also did Godfather Part II, Annie Hall, Manhattan... classic after classic. It's not surprising that like 7 of the top 10 came from 1968-1980.

One day, I need to see The Conformist, I've wanted to for years and years; 1900 as well, for that matter.

arley and Frederick Mars like this.
  4. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Yes, about Wexler on Days of Heaven. Almendros asked him to complete the film.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Jason Manley likes this.
  5. Not seen 1900 but The Conformist is excellent.

Jason Manley likes this.
  6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

It looks great no doubt. But I think that I put The Big Country, Jeremiah Johnson and Pale Rider ahead

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  7. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I agree that it should be on the list, but "political correctness" is not the reason why it wouldn't be on the list.

thegage and Dan C like this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I have to share this list with my wife Vickie. I'm pretty sure she's seen everything on it, with the possible exception of I Am Cuba.

Solaris, Old Rusty and longdist01 like this.
  9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Except some of those have no Blu ray release yet. :cussing:

longdist01 likes this.
  10. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I know all this is just opinions, myself I would have added The Longest Day. The B&W photography is fantastic.

Old Rusty, ando here and jtiner like this.
  11. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

In theatres Sept. 1 &4 via Fathom/TCM. On TV 31 Days of Oscar regular

peopleareleaving likes this.
  12. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Great, thanks!

13. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

North by Northwest is a favorite and I like Vertigo, but I don't think they would have been my top choices for Hitch films in this list.

14. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Thanks for that. Sorry I missed that, and many would say Fanny and Alexander was his best effort. I would also have put Persona in there.

15. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I kinda like Cries and Whispers myself. They’re all good... :righton:

longdist01 and Hardy Melville like this.
  16. Hardy Melville

I think so, too. Black and white is tough I would think in a poll like this, but I also would have put L'Eclisse in there. The cinematography in that film is absolutely stunning, a variety of spectacular exterior, virtually landscape-type shots, and a great variety of interior and close up shots.

Frederick Mars likes this.
  17. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I’m so glad French Connection made it on the top list. I think more is owed to the camera op though. To me the visual stylings of that movie make it. That story is so tightly wrapped up in every essence of the film. Can you tell I’m a fan?

I think 2001 it was the special effects as opposed to the cinematography that made that film so special. Which is probably why A New Hope didn’t make it on there.

18. Not sure if I’m midsreading your comment reply but Blow Up is a colour film.

19. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Great list I have most of these on disc, have seen all but a few.

longdist01 likes this.
  20. Hardy Melville

I know. I was referring to L'Eclisse as another Antonioni film beside Blow Up that should have been included.

Blow Up is a personal favorite of mine, but I prefer L'Eclisse.

Frederick Mars and Mazzy like this.
  21. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

OMG how awesome! I'm so happy we saw the restored "Lawrence of Arabia" in 4K on a massive screen a few years ago. I'll never forget the experience. Every frame was just exquisite.

So many great choices in there, some surprising ones as well but I can't really argue against any of them.

dan c

Frederick Mars and Vidiot like this.
  22. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I’m really glad to see Blade Runner and Apocalypse Now ranked so highly. I would probably rank those two exactly how they did, but with 2001: A Space Odyssey as number one. Lawrence of Arabia is great too, but it doesn’t blow me away quite as much as those other three.

Overall, it’s a great list, no major complaints here.

23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I’m kinda surprised to see Blade Runner all the way up as number 2. Guess I need to take another look at it.

24. I am shocked, SHOCKED that Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! didn't make the cut.

[​IMG]

In all seriousness though, Pussycat does have pretty incredible cinematography for an exploitation film. Russ Meyer knew what he was doing.

25. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My wife and I just saw a restored version of Wings of Desire, and it was absolutely stunning. They had gone back to the camera negatives and rebuilt the film, so it looked far better than it ever had in the theater.

Dan C and chacha like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.