Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I was thinking of the radio contest--first prize, a week in Philadelphia; second prize, two weeks in Philadelphia...

2. bzfgt

Captain Beefheart Spotlight Kid

3. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Black Eyed Peas - Behind the Front

[​IMG]

4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

It is said that someone once asked the great W.C. Fields how he liked children. His reported response:

"Well done."

5. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Checking out Fruition this evening in Raleigh.

Erik B. and warewolf95 like this.
  6. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Erik B. and warewolf95 like this.
  7. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Kyle Bruckman’s “Degradient”

2 CD set

Maybe the most outrageous non-free improv recording I’ve ever heard. No time to describe it. I’ve been listening in sections over the last few weeks. Anchored by the amazing Jason Hoopes on electric bass & Jordan Glenn on drums - who I’ve heard before on a Fred Frith trio disc. An aside is that Frith trio is coming to the Stone later this year for 3 nights and I’m pledging to see 2 of the 3 nights. I saw Frith live at the original Stone a couple of years back and it remains a top 2-3 guitar performance I’ve ever seen.

This Bruckmam dude plays Oboe and other odd horns so no guitar:(

8. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

But can they play "4:33"??

US Blues likes this.
  9. US Blues

Half hour jam vehicle.

ianuaditis, warewolf95 and bzfgt like this.
  10. bzfgt

Philadelphia again!

US Blues, ianuaditis and warewolf95 like this.
  11. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

US Blues likes this.
  12. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

13. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]
    2018. Rock/blues with a touch of soul from the south. How many young bands have a horn section? Well this one does. Good guitar playing too.

14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

15. US Blues

Huge fan of his Cold Roses album. I saw Ryan in Phil Lesh & Friends at Red Rocks in 2005- a superlative concert.

Many highlights, here's one: late in the second set, about 20 minutes after midnight, they had just finished a long jam sequence featuring The Other One played as an Irish Jig, and verse 2 of Dark Star (which had opened the set), all was quiet and peaceful on the side of the mountain. Out of this gentle stillness arose the first notes of China Cat Sunflower. Of course this found it's way into the always popular I Know You Rider (cool, Colorado rain), which slowly faded down into an a cappella rendering of the final verse of Uncle John's Band (which was begun earlier in the set). Not just a cappella, it was a gospel influenced version as one might hear in a Baptist Church. Utterly beautiful and moving conclusion to the set.

16. bzfgt

And yes I know it's just silence.

Trout Mask Replica

Lots of Beefheart, I don't always log it when it's a repeat I already logged once

17. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

saw them live last year. these kids are for real.

Erik B. and budwhite like this.
  18. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I actually put on Cold Roses today out of the blue. Got it playing as I write this...

Erik B., US Blues and budwhite like this.
  19. budwhite

[​IMG]
    2018. So far so good(three songs in)

DrLunchbox, spinyn, Rne and 1 other person like this.
  20. budwhite

I have Cold Roses on LP cut by forum favorite Chris Bellman, but I haven't opened it yet. Bought the CD on release day back in spring of 2005

21. budwhite

Dylan - Rolling Thunder Revue 1975. My favorite in the bootleg series after the '66 show.

This is how excited I got when a friend texted me the news about the Scorsese documentary and the next bootleg series that will cover a whole lot more than the old one did

[​IMG]

22. spinyn

spinyn Senior Member

I saw them with Los Lobos at the Fillmore in 2000, right before I moved to New Orleans. That was a great night. I had been ushering for BGP at the Warfield and the big shows at the Coliseum throughout the 90's but that was the only time I got to "usher" at the Fillmore. Got in free, great show, got a poster on the way out and later got a soundboard recording of Los Lobos from a guy patched into the board near where I was standing to keep folks away from the sound booth.

Bo Dollis, the lead Magnolia, is no longer with us. Monk Boudreaux is about the last of the old school Indian chiefs and he is a New Orleans treasure. The Indians still come out on Mardi Gras Day and about a month later on what is called Super Sunday. It is an unbelievable thing to experience.

My buddy has a band called Cha Wa that got nominated for a Grammy for Best Regional Music album this year. They are younger Indians keeping the tradition.

[​IMG]

adamos, Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  23. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

After playing the Crowes, I couldn't escape the "Black" section of the B's on the CD shelf for a bit last night:

The Black Keys - Rubber Factory
    [​IMG]

24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Very cool, I saw one of those two shows they did with the Wild Magnolias at the Fillmore and have the same poster. I'd seen them at JazzFest in '99 as well. Very cool to hear about Cha Wa and that the tradition is being kept up!

budwhite and spinyn like this.
  25. spinyn

spinyn Senior Member

If you want to see what it is like on the street here, these are photos I've taken, both at Super Sunday and on Mardi Gras Day when they come to a certain bar in the 'hood Uptown:

These are from Super Sunday a couple years ago. Even though I knew what to expect, it still is a mind blower!

Shutterfly

Both of these sets are from 2nd and Dryades where the Uptown Indians congregate on Mardi Gras Day:

Shutterfly

Shutterfly

These are from when a group went by my house on St. Joseph's Day when they come out, as well. It is quite something to hear the chants and step outside to see this:

Shutterfly

budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.