Best $5000. Integrated amp or Pre amp/Amp combo

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thouston, Jan 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident Thread Starter

Must be at least 100 watts 8 ohms/ 200 watts 4 ohms and not class D. I own several balanced and single ended cables, so they will not be included in the price.
    It will be driving a pair of Kef R11 and two SVS SB2000 subs. My room is 12x22x8 with some room treatment for high frequencies.

2. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Don't know if it is best. But, I really like my preamp and amp combo. I have Marantz AV8801 and 3 Parasound a23. Total retail is ~$6K. But I got all mine used for less than $3K.

My room is similar in width and length, but at twice the height. Sound great to me playing stereo with all channel stereo mode with 4.1.

3. davidb1

davidb1 Forum Resident

unclefred likes this.
  4. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

I'm curious why you rule out class D.

5. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Would be a shame if the OP's very concise request for opinions turned into a class D amp debate, IMHO. :)

6. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

I'm not looking to debate, just genuinely curious. If it's a can of worms best left unopened, that's understandable.

displayname likes this.
  7. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Didn't mean to sound like picking on ya. It's just I've seen so many threads veer offtrack when someone, for example says "looking for vintage amp" and others start to debate buying vintage over new, rather than suggest what OP was looking for. Same for "looking for tubes only", etc. My fave is "have $XXXXX to spend" that turns into "must be nice to have that budget" and/or "that's a ridiculous amount to spend on anything less than a house".
    BTW, I'm a big fan of the latest Class D stuff myself !

Shiver likes this.
  8. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Does Ayre have something that meets the reqs?

9. Helom

Helom Forum member

Maybe start with an amp and use your Yamaha's preamp for a while. I did that recently and got good results. The amp was a bit too analytical for my preferences, but it did improve the sound in some respects. The Yamahas have very respectable preamp sections. The meters also work when running as a preamp.

I'd be tempted to give these monoblocks a try:

Odyssey Audio: Stratos Mono amplifiers. Call us (317) 299 5578. IN, USA.

10. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love my Yamaha A-S2100. I am going to use it in my office system. I am looking for something new for the main system. Just wondering what is out there that will beat the Yamaha for 5 grand or less. I like something on the slightly warm side, which eliminates class D.

intensemojo and mjcmt like this.
  11. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

I've seen praise for the Emotiva stuff, and maybe you could go with their stereo power amp: XPA-2 Gen3

That's A/B, has the power you want, and leaves a lot of cash left over for a preamp to suit your liking.

12. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

I currently use an Ayre AX-7e but I would like more power. I'm considering either the Anthem STR or the Cambridge Edge A. Both look intriguing and are getting rave reviews.

13. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

I saw a review somewhere (sorry, can't locate it this afternoon) of the Luxman L-505ux that was pretty positive. 100W into 8 ohms. Nice looking piece of gear too.

14. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

I don't have anything to add about that other than to say that is one sexy piece of gear.

Subagent likes this.
  15. jhenry

jhenry Forum Resident

I love my Accuphase E-270

16. Ulises

Ulises Forum Resident

17. Frost

Frost Forum Resident

mcintosh ma5300 is worth looking at. I personally ended up with Bryston pre with a classe amp. its been a lot of years of trying different gear and Im happy where Im at.

McLover likes this.
  18. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

And de facto most tubes.

19. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Well, PS Audio's M700 monoblocks (class D) were recently made Stereophile Class A, and at $3k/pair, among the most affordable in the group:
    "The word that occurred to me when I first heard the M700 was smooth—an easy-on-the-ears quality that encouraged extended listening sessions. The sound of tube amplifiers is often described as smooth, and tubelike wouldn't be entirely inappropriate as a description of the M700's sound.
    Read more at PS Audio Stellar M700 monoblock power amplifier Page 2 "

4xoddic and displayname like this.
  20. a friend has odyssey cartago and candels (tube) preamp. lots of upgrades and about 4000. I'm buying from him for money

21. I buy friends cartago and awesome they are. good bass!

22. Helom

Helom Forum member

IME, nothing else sounds quite like Yamaha. It's unfortunate they don't offer affordable separates.

I'd take a serious look at those Odyssey amps. I'd be surprised if they didn't double power into 4 ohms. That'd leave you $2250 for a preamp.

Also check out Audio by Van Alstine

23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Used: Pass Labs INT-150

Used: one of the large Marantz integrated amps from the last few years (the Marantz sound signature certainly sounds like what you are looking for)

New: ATC SIA2-150 MkII

24. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Simaudio Neo 340i might be worth looking at.

25. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I didn't see you specifically rule out tubes, or buying used, and this looks like an awfully good deal.

VAC ALPHA | Tube | Los Angeles, California 90027 | Audiogon

I couldn't seem to find the output specs but I would guess in the 80-100 watt range and certainly sufficient for your speaker. No relation to the seller I just love shopping for other people! :D

GregM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.