Scorsese's 'Rolling Thunder' Documentary Confirmed for 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CWillman, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member Thread Starter

2. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Rockin' good news! :tiphat:

3. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

So basically a reversion of Ronaldo & Clara.

4. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

5. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

2019? Hey, that's this year!

6. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Great news

7. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Worth pointing out that Scorsese is effectively ‘editor’ on this and attaching his name doesn’t do any harm.

The outline for this goes back to ‘Videograph’ and some of the ‘recent’ interview footage is over 10 years old. I’m unaware if Bob Dylan has been interviewed more recently but who knows.

Say It Right, The MEZ and DeeThomaz like this.
  8. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Awesome. I was up in Beckett, MA last year checking out
    that inn where the tour stopped for a few days. Awesome food.

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Complete songs, please.

10. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

They mention a potential box set as I suggested some time ago. If so, as far as I’m aware, this would NOT be part of the ‘Bootleg Series’ in the same way the 1966 one wasn’t.

11. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

Why not just give us the full and uncut Renaldo & Clara (maybe with a songs-only option for those that need it), with the new material added on as bonus footage?

Or even vice versa.

12. majorlance

IIRC, wasn't that more or less the case with No Direction Home and the George Harrison doc, as well?

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

MS was the director on both projects, but also a co-producer on the Harrison one.

warewolf95 likes this.
  14. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Yes with regards to NDH. Not seen the Harrison one and not aware of the extent of his input.

I don’t know how much further the original ‘Videograph’ project was supposed to go but obviously there were still interviews being recorded, including with Dylan, in the early 1980s and then here and there afterwards before the project was picked up with a bit more focus and specific intent again resulting in ‘No Direction Home’. I’d imagine there’s potential for more “Scorsese” documentaries after this, but what I think is more likely is that we’d be looking at future material - 1978 onwards - presented in a way not dissimilar to the Gospel bonus DVD (minus the sermons, obviously, but perhaps with some interview footage thrown in here and there). Obviously the sporadic video recording of performances has carried on into the present era, either professionally or using more ‘semi-professional’ cameras operated by Dylan’s crew.

15. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Hey I'm still waiting for MS's Irishman movie that was supposed to premiere on Netflix in '18!

Fastnbulbous and warewolf95 like this.
  16. The long original Renaldo and Clare was brutal. I sat through all of it at once.

17. majorlance

You mean most of us, right?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    warewolf95 and Dave Thompson like this.
  18. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

19. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Hard for me to sit through an entire Dylan album. Well, maybe Blood On The Tracks... :winkgrin::sigh:

20. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I will go with what I’ve said for the last couple of years regarding a future 1975 audio set - obviously based on OLD info at this point - not set in stone but I’ve heard nothing to contradict this so far.

A 1975 live audio box set will come out significantly before the EU copyright runs out (December 31st 2025). Looks like it - or at least a portion of it - may be released in connection with this?

It will be a multi-disc box set, not dissimilar to the 1966 box.

It will NOT be part of the Bootleg Series.

As ever, let’s see. ;)

Sean, RAZORMADE, Percy Song and 12 others like this.
  21. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Saw the original four hour Renaldo & Clara a couple times at the Orson Welles Cinema in Cambridge. Loved it. Saw it again later at the Amherst Cinema in Amherst, MA.

Sean, warewolf95, Cassius and 4 others like this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

For some reason the Rolling Thunder era is one I haven't got into at all yet. I try but I just don't enjoy it. I've recently bought The Bootleg Series Rolling Thunder volume but haven't enjoyed what little I've played from it. I know this period is very highly regarded so I do think I'm missing something.

A good documentary might give it some context. No Direction Home was incredible.

23. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

I really enjoyed it as well - even the daft bits are fun

warewolf95 and Jack like this.
  24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Ah, VIDEOGRAPH.

Once, back in the late 90's or early 00's, I was flying home from New York City and pulled out a copy of ISIS I bought at Subterranean Records. The person sitting next to me noticed it, asked if he could read it when I was done, and told me his brother was working on Videograph! Rarely in my day to day life do people randomly engage me in Dylan conversation, let alone people who might have access to very interesting information but bizarrely (I had been up literally the entire night before and was feeling completely wiped out) I don't think I could think of anything to ask him. In retrospect, it felt like a missed opportunity (if nothing else, for a fun conversation).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Percy Song, warewolf95 and Mbd77 like this.
  25. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

The Bootleg Series #5: Live 1975 was, for a few months, was in very heavy rotation at my house. I would still love to have this on vinyl or even as a DVD.

It's definitely an album thats not for everyone. My friend, who is a big Dylan fan, did not like the "70s" interpretations at all, while I thought it was one of the best live albums I've ever heard. It certainly brims with energy unlike Hard Rain, which I could never get into.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.