Doctor Who 2018 S11*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by fitzysbuna, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

God, I see I’ve banged on about the Doctor’s violence problem before; how mortifying. I’ll go stream “The Ghost Monument” in penance.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

If the focus group is the BBC, then sure. It seems it's no longer appropriate to call his fellow travelers 'companions', so they're twisting themselves into pretzels to come up with a more 'acceptable' label.

3. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I believe it’s conjecture only. Alternative reports would tell you Chibnall asked Capaldi to stay on, so who knows?

It’s just an currently idiomatic word for mates, nothing to do with being ‘acceptable’ or not.

Pastafarian and eddiel like this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

What's an idiomatic word for mates? Fam? If that's so, then I guess I'm not hip to the lingo! In fact, I'd prefer he called them 'mates' than 'fam' which feels so CBBC (which is where the show now belongs anyway).

5. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Yes, fam. I imagine a lot of viewers didn’t even notice it, as it’s part of everyday speech for them.

6. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

There's actually a new American TV show called Fam...

7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

My daughter uses it to refer to us, but I always thought it was short for "family" and thus completely inappropriate in this context.

8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I think "the squad" would probably be better but I think that term is out since my 18 year old cousin hasn't used it since she was about 13. lol

9. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

She should go, "these are my humans."

eddiel likes this.
  10. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Overall, I enjoyed this series enough to stick it out to the end. For the first time in quite a while we've got an interesting Doctor and none of the companions annoy me, though I'm sick and tired of getting a new Doctor every three years and having to to through the entire process of learning the character quirks again each time. My biggest complaint is that I'm growing tired of the formula; the Doctor and companions stumble into a situation where things are not quite what they seem, solve the problem, and then move on to another formulaic scenario with different characters.

I find myself missing classic Who, with several episodes being spent in the same environment. I can't imagine the series doing something like the second Doctor again, where the cast is grounded in one spot while dealing with local issues.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    misterbozz likes this.
  11. DreadPikathulhu

Oops. I meant the third Doctor. So many great stories happened during that era with the addition of UNIT and the brigadier.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  12. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

A lot of the old multi-episode stories were padded out with capture/escape scenarios, though - I’ve tried to rewatch a couple and they can feel painfully slow and structurally repetitive.

13. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

But Capaldi wasn’t forced out, he left of his own accord, despite Chibnall trying to get him to stay on for at least another year. If anything, the physical demands of the role was a greater factor in his departure.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't buy that - he's not that old (he looks older than he is). He said at one point, paraphrasing, that they'd have pry the Tardis key out of his cold dead hand... And frankly, Chibs has no credibility.

It's a fact that his ratings were catastrophic at the end, which is reason enough to get him out (though the writers were chiefly at fault IMO). That he was forced out, is behind the scenes murmurings, but it does fit. Further murmurings were that they wanted a younger more 'relatable' replacement to appeal to the young demo. I say careful what you wish for...

zobalob and seed_drill like this.
  15. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

Having watched the latest series (and New Year's Day episode), I don't think I'll be buying the Blu-ray boxed set as I've done with all the previous seasons (they're all stored on my Sky box if I want to watch them again). I've mostly enjoyed it but I don't feel as involved as I have been in the past. I have no problems with a female Doctor and liked Jodie Whittaker's performances but I would have preferred that there were fewer companions. A big improvement for me was the look of the programme as it seemed more cinematic and I've liked the music and sound - more cinematic.

I've watched every single episode as it has been transmitted since November 23rd 1963 and will continue to do so.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  16. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Think that had a lot to do with a strike during pertwees era. But yes, it had a great outcome with some fantastic serials

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  17. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I have to be very careful about what I say but I'm very reliably informed that those murmurings were about Capaldi from those who were forced to work with , however I don't know if this was significant for his departure.

18. DreadPikathulhu

They do, especially when they extend beyond four episodes.

19. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

And the spaghetti bolognese delivery on location was tops! :righton:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

fishcane likes this.
  20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Like Mork visiting Happy Days?

Al Smith likes this.
  21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

* RUMOR ALERT * AWOOOGA * RUMOR ALERT *

The interwebs are reporting that Chibnall & Whittaker are out! The Christmas episode will see Whittaker regen into a dude and a new showrunner will be appointed (maybe Neil Gaiman).

Apparently, the BBC wanted a Dalek episode and Chibbs wanted to give them a 'female', misshapen Dalek. The BBC would have none of it, especially since it seems that they're being sued by the licensees for lack of merch sales with the current doc (sounds familiar, see STD and SW merch sales). No one is buying the action figures and a new funnily shaped Dalek was not gonna cut it.

Chibbs dug in his heels and was fired. Whittaker walked in sympathy, but was reminded that she was still under contract, so she will return to film a regen scene.

So, basically good news (if it proves to be true)!

Shawn, Dok, seed_drill and 4 others like this.
  22. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I can’t agree that Whittaker moving on is a good thing. Most Doctors wear the part well after a while of making the character their own. I liked a woman in the role. Refreshing. Isn’t time for her to move on yet, nor should the Beeb be panicked into choosing another male Doctor.
    While I didn’t always think the stories were my kind of thing last series, I won’t object that they had to be tried.
    I liked the New Year’s Day Dalek episode.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I like Whittaker as the Doctor. It was just the direction they took the character in, or rather left the character in, that I found annoying along with the writing.

If this is true I can't see the BBC escaping the inevitable flak they'll get for this as it'll be framed a certain way in the press.

However, if this is what had to happen to get a new show runner and better stories, then so be it. Doubly great if it really is Neil Gaiman.

JakeM and Michael Rose like this.
  24. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Personally, I hope Whittaker stays on. I like her. I think she deserves another shot with a better team around her, on both sides of the camera.

25. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Are these the same interwebs reporting that Alex Kurtzman has been fired from Star Trek? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.