CDs Are Dying Three Times as Fast as Vinyl Is Growing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pseudopod, Sep 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I wish someone would tell the Dallas area, used CD stores that CDs were worthless. Used CDs will cost you $5 - $15 in M- condition. Some stores won't put them out with a minor scratch. With exception of Recycled Books in Denton, these same stores will only offer pennies to buy your used CDs. Recycled Books will give you a very fair offer, but they are very selective in what they buy. They are always telling me that they are very interested in purchasing my CD collection. I guess no one has told them that CDs are now worthless.

2. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Plate Rails all over the world will be converted to "CD Rails."

Definition of PLATE RAIL

[​IMG]

ChazFromCali likes this.
  3. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

Who buys CD's? It's a completely obsolete physical format. New cars don't even come with CD players in the dash anymore. Why would anyone cling to such a pointless format when it gives you ZERO sonic benefit? At least vinyl imparts character to the sound, positively or negatively.

4. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Complete and utter BS.

5. dbeamer407

dbeamer407 Forum Resident

Surely you understand that there are millions of releases that are only available in this format?

6. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

I do. You can get them pretty cheap now some people are ditching them. It’s obviously not completely obsolete if shops are still selling them; Amoeba seemed to be doing a reasonably good trade in them last time I was there. There are enough of them kicking around, and enough CD players out there, that I expect them to be a viable option for some years to come, however much the market dwindles.

I don’t look to CDs to add a distinctive tonal quality. The “benefit”, I suppose, is that I can be sure, with fairly minimal research, that I’ll be getting decent sound quality; I’ve heard a few things on Spotify that sound like bad rips, or aren’t what they’re purported to be. Besides, I like having physical objects, it appeals to some primitive hunter/gatherer part of the brain. It’s fun to check out someone’s collection; not so fun to scroll through their files.

7. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

Of course they were. Advanced technology of the future. A laser instead of a needle! No surface noise, no wear, 80 minutes of music, jumping to a track at the push of a button.

And the whole vinyl ritual thing was not cool back then, like a ride in a horse-drawn cart was not romantic back when there were only horse-drawn carts.

8. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

I love the sound of vinyl records, especially through a great stereo system, but a CD can sound amazing with a great stereo system, too. Anyone who has an affinity for good audio will admit that CDs sound fantastic and still do. They may be ‘obsolete’ for many people here (and elsewhere), but people are still buying and enjoying them and I’m one of them.

9. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

When you want to fall asleep listening to music, a CD cannot be beat. No tonearm to lift and the music ends 40 minutes later. They also seem to be consistent in audio quality at low volumes.

10. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Let us examine the meaning of the word ‘obsolete’ : ‘no longer produced or used; out of date.’ Whilst some may believe the latter, the former is inaccurate, they are still produced and they are still used. So CDs are not ‘completely obsolete’. You may choose not to use it as a format, but it is certainly not obsolete.

11. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Although to be fair, there are multiple usages of the word, as stated via Merriam-Webster, one definition being:

b. of a kind or style no longer current : OLD-FASHIONED

So to get needlessly pedantic just because I have nothing better to do currently, I would say the usage of the word isn't totally inaccurate

12. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

Meanwhile, I started the year by buying my first dedicated CD player. I own hundreds of albums in this format and for years had nowhere to play them except my car (not a good place for serious music listening). I’ve really enjoyed digging back into my CD collection and rediscovering some old favorites!

13. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I know there are lots of Beatles fans on SHF. Those Dr. Ebbetts CD's of the Beatles sound fantastic and you can buy them at a fraction of the cost of a mint copy of an original pressing LP. After several plays, your vinyl LP is no longer mint but those Ebbetts CDs sound good play after play as long as you have decent playback equipment.

14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

CDs will be the best audio format for a huge number of albums. Better than a vinyl rip from a "cd on wax" release. Including some major ones like TOOL 10,000 days

My used store still sells about $1,000 worth of used CD per week. Actually enough to cover the rent. New/used vinyl is bigger money and higher foot traffic obviously. They've paid $3,000-$4,000 for certain CD collections.

Streaming will turn into regular network/cable. Too many ads or you have to pay more for the good stuff without ads that you might as well buy albums again. I"m already seeing that with movie streaming with viewers not happy with the lack of selection for certain genres.

Are CD's not slightly better sound quality?

Major labels had advantages over indie labels with physical media and distribution. How do they have the clout in a streaming world?

CD walkman's were cool. CD wallets in the car was a huge step forward before iPods

I thought the 2009 remasters rivaled/surpassed the Ebbets? They were definitely from higher generation sources.

steveinphilly and ClassicalCD like this.
  15. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

How often to you say step away from your pc there I just want to go through your files for the next half an hour. Would probably make many people uncomfortable. Looking through someones collection was something young people did be it Vinyl or CD. Tech is all great in its place but it doesnt need to take over every aspect of our lives.

16. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

But you hit the nail on the head. People were TOLD that vinyl was dead, just as they are being told no-one buys cds now and so made to look as if they are acting in an old-fashioned way. Many people are not changing their habits voluntarily,they are doing what they are told.

17. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

CD is still and always will be the most important format for me..Robust/Cheap/Plentiful.

I can get a perfect copy (with great mastering if willing to search) of any given album for little money on ebay.

I play them on a dedicated CD player and rip high quality lossless files to play on my personal player and for in-car use.

18. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I do, you seem to have missed the loudness war and vinyls cut from digital files.

ChazFromCali and Fishoutofwater like this.
  19. Agreed

Very true

I love the sound of well mastered cds. I buy loads of cds every week. I treat myself to LPs now and again when funds allow

20. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Zero sonic benefit? The format also gives you no negative effects on the music.Yes vinyl imparts a nice character.But that also go's hand in hand with unreliability,inconsistency and distortions.No format (higher res or otherwise) has been shown to sound better that 44.1/16 bit CD in controlled blind listening tests.Add to that the robustness and cheapness of the format and its hard to beat in my opinion.
    Even if you have no actual CD player.An album on CD gives you more reliable storage for that given album.The option of ripping a high quality lossless file from that CD (which is often cheaper that downloading the same album in lossless format).
    Add to the fact that download sites and streaming sites only normally give you the option of the latest (normally brickwalled) master of the album you wish to listen too.With CD you have the option to source the best sounding master available for any given album.

Lastly some are convinced that playing a physical CD on a physical CD player sounds better than playing a lossless files or streaming.But that's a different argument altogether

21. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i'm pretty sure the poster meant "zero sonic benefit" when compared to lossless files. which is true. anyone who thinks a digitally identical file sounds better when it's spinning on a 2 cent disc is full of malarkey.

walrus likes this.
  22. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

I don't think its a debate between bit perfect 0's and 1's on a silver disc verses bit perfect 0's and 1's in a digital file.But instead the general quality of the internal components used in a dedicated CD player verses the average quality of components used in Laptops or personal media players for instance.

I could get into the debate of the timings in which those perfect 0's and 1's are reproduced (in the nano-seconds) and that this could maybe have a influence in digital reproduction.Both between different playback devices and different lossless formats.But this is untested at present and a bit of a minefield.

jay.dee likes this.
  23. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Yes. Yes they were. So cool that many people did not know where to put the needle.

Papi Hipbone323 likes this.
  24. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I still have to use the mnemonic "Records start at the outside. CD's start at the inside."

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  25. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

When a man is tired of London he is tired of life (used to hold before it became more violent than New York City)

So lets replace with:

When a man is tired of CD's he is tired of life.

Far more appropriate.

L.P. and enfield like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.