Guitarists having a bad day!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rufus rag, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

It can even happen to the greats

savemenow and kouzie like this.
  2. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

3. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

kirk hammett's solo :hurl:

4. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

I can't find video of this, but at the 9/11 memorial concert Melissa Etheridge was walking around complaining about her out-of-tune acoustic forever. The crowd was increasingly annoyed that they'd been duped into attending a Melissa Etheridge concert.

5. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

6. Savage Man

Savage Man Well-Known Member

"I can dig it."

Pete was already sick of Woodstock, and all he needed was Abbie ****ing Hoffman to just boil him over.

Gregster and tug_of_war like this.
  7. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

Neal Schon's most embarrassing moment of his career.

In this 1978 Soundstage performance in Chicago, Journey brought Albert King & Luther Allison onstage for three songs. So in the second blues jam of the segment, directly following blues legend Albert King's solo, Neal Schon is so in-the-moment that he starts his solo a half step flat. :eek: In front of a legendary guitar player. :eek: :eek: Which is bad enough, but he doesn't even realize it until 33 seconds into the solo. :eek: :eek: :eek: Albert even steps in and plays a few notes at one point to try and clue him in.

Here's the video of the whole show. Neals' solo starts at 38:57 and he goes until 39:30 before he figures out he's in the wrong key. Start watching far enough ahead of that, during Albert's solo, so you get a good feel for what key the song is in.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Gregster and tug_of_war like this.
  8. Travadinho

Travadinho Forum Resident

9. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Yo,

It's actually not that bad...It's just a blue-note he decided to play to contrast Albert's licks, that was a semi-tone flat. (It actually reinforces the back-up part being played)...

No doubt that some folks won't get into it though ! I'm guessing that it was deliberate, but as you can see, the others don't get into it.

Thanks for sharing,

Gregster

10. Lonecat

Lonecat King Of Fools

This is so bad it almost seems like it's a joke, but some of the commenters say they were actually there. Michael is obviously drunk in the video. BS or not, I saw a worse performance from Michael which has since been taken down, at a performance with Uli Roth, which was just a long, out of tune bend over and over again.
    It was sad to witness his decline back then, I would frequent his website and he was posting the most bizarre, stream-of-semi-consciousness stuff. Around this same time he was featured in a Guitar World article which detailed his decline while living in a motel in the Arizona desert and drinking heavily.
    He's playing better than ever now and it's great to see.

Rufus rag likes this.
  11. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

It's not a "blue-note", though. It's 33 seconds of soloing before he shifts into the same key that everybody else is playing in. That's why Albert steps in with a few notes, either to nudge him into the right key or to just try and take the solo back from him. As a guitar player, I can see where, once he got started and thought he was in the right key, it took a little while to realize that what was wrong was him.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Gregster likes this.
  12. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Hello,

It's only the introductory note that's a semi-tone-flat for a bar, then the next bar he phrases fine, & then back to a semi-tone flat, & back again...He's also doing that (along with the key-boards ) at around the 38:00 too. It's like he's sliding the chord into where it's meant to go, but doesn't resolve. I've listened to it 3-times now & don't think it's a biggie...He was just trying something out musically that doesn't work for some folks.

Dave Gilmour had a worse time with those new strings on his acoustic LOL !

And poor Michael Schenker had his fingers freeze-up on him...Bummer...He's quite a good rock 'n roll player too !

13. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

How about that Dylan and Woody broken string thing at Live Aid?

14. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

This to me has always been ground zero for an out-of-tune rhythm guitar:

Terry likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.