Scorsese's 'Rolling Thunder' Documentary Confirmed for 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CWillman, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yfncl223

Yfncl223 Forum Resident

What a fantastic News !
    Also I Hope Dylan's new album is coming this year.

warewolf95 and The MEZ like this.
  2. vegard martinsen

vegard martinsen Forum Resident

This might be interesting (quotes from the article):

Martin Scorsese’s long-rumored documentary about Bob Dylan’s legendary “Rolling Thunder Revue” tour is headed to Netflix, Variety reports.

Along with the long-awaited Rolling Thunder Revue documentary, the Dylan camp has reportedly also been prepping a new box set featuring music from that era. In a 2017, a source close to the Dylan team told Rolling Stone, “It’s a great period and there’s so much music that was so well-recorded. I think that’ll be a great companion piece to the film. We have incredible, incredible stuff.”

Netflix Confirms New Bob Dylan, Martin Scorsese Doc – Rolling Stone

3. culabula

culabula Unread author.

So... it HASN'T "hit" Netflix.

George P likes this.
  4. vegard martinsen

vegard martinsen Forum Resident

Daveymoore likes this.
  5. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

According to the press for it, Dylan did a new on camera interview for the doc.

warewolf95 and Andre Acvedo like this.
  6. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I really hope this documentary does something to cover the years 1967-1974. It might not be of interest to the average Dylan fan but I'd find it very interesting, i.e. what led him back from the quiet life and into the Rolling Thunder adventure. Obviously any of us who've read up on Bob know the answers, but it would only make for a better film, imo.

7. Andre Acvedo

Andre Acvedo Sargento Primero

I hope subtitles are included.

warewolf95, Lars1966 and Porkpie like this.
  8. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Agreed! that's exactly what they did with "No Direction Home" whilst largely keeping the topic focused on the 1965 & 66 world tours. Doing the same thing here would mean we would have a fabulous visual biography of Bob's first decade or so as an artist.

9. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I wonder what interesting extras they might put on it when it's released on DVD/Blu-ray.

warewolf95 and hodgo like this.
  10. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Me as well. If they're as good as NDH, I'll be happy.

warewolf95, hodgo and bobcat like this.
  11. sweetdudejim

sweetdudejim Forum Resident

Hey @Man at C&A* I kinda can relate to what you are saying. I personally love a lot of the stuff from the 1976 Rolling Thunder (obviously including the great live album Hard Rain) but for some reason the 1975 Rolling Thunder has never really hit me. So I look forward to the new documentary and hopefully also a new Rolling Thunder audio release.

*Great name, great song! Awesome to have another Two-Tone head here on the board.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Thanks for the compliment! The Dansette record player in my avatar is playing Man at C&A.

I tend to find some of Rolling Thunder stuff has too many musicians playing on it and sounds cluttered to me. Especially with the new arrangements. I don't like the more shouty side of Dylan's singing much either, but that's more prominent on the later At the Budokan album.

13. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Take my money.

14. Kermit27

Kermit27 Forum Resident

I know you're probably kidding and getting in a dig at modern Dylan mumbling, but nearly all (if not ALL) Netflix releases have subtitle options.

Andre Acvedo likes this.
  15. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I sat through all of it once, too. Over multiple sessions. With unanticipated naps in between.

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im excited to see what this ends up being. I cannot see the entire film being released as a goal. Its an arduous task to get through and really does very little to further the legacy.

A box set like 1966? That would be sweet. Im very much hoping for a near complete film of the concert portion. Much rather see that with some sort of back storyline explaining the ins and outs of R and C.

I dont think it worked as a film. The idea doesnt transfer to the visual. But a SMiLE-like examination of the film with interviews? Might be inner'esting.

Then make the film as a bonus disc or something.

footlooseman and hodgo like this.
  17. John Rhett Thomas

Since we have a dedicated thread to this, I'll back up what the OP says: I, too, heard from a very well-placed source that the plan was for a brick in the form of the Live '66 box, which would be released in conjunction with a Scorcese doc. This was a couple years ago and I've got no new information to add, but it seems as if it's heading in that direction.

One "extra" I hope is delivered with the box is a complete and unedited full show from start to bottom, including all the sets from the supporting performers and band members, sequenced as it happened. I've heard many of the Dylan sets, and some of the other performances, but to this day I've never had a full-on Rolling Thunder concert listening experience and I'd like that.

18. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

+1

If ever anyone here suffers from insomnia Renaldo & Clara is one hell of a cure.

19. John Rhett Thomas

All my snide comments about R+C aside, I do think it needs to be included as a bonus. It may not further his legacy, but it is part of his legacy. And taken individually, many of the scenes are of interest even when they're not necessarily entertaining (and some are definitely entertaining). It's as a whole that it becomes a four-hour test of endurance. For most people. Some here have seen it all and love it...which I guess I envy.

20. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

It's nice to hear the Dylan organization is finally releasing some archival material after two and a half months of nothing.

21. Andre Acvedo

Andre Acvedo Sargento Primero

Yep, kidding. Thanks though.

warewolf95 and Kermit27 like this.
  22. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Yes! Licensing nightmare I’m sure but I’d love to hear the supporting artists. Joni especially was absolutely ON FIRE in ‘75-‘76 writing on the road and premiering embryonic versions of stuff. Down for any of that, especially in video form!

warewolf95 likes this.
  23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

It probably would help any curious viewers if Dylan for once offered a cogent explanation of what R+C is
    "about". Or 'means'. Or something. Or anything.

warewolf95 likes this.
  24. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Cogent or not, this include a link to a 14-page transcript of an October 1977 conversation in which Dylan talks about what Renaldo & Clara "means."

Allen Ginsberg and Bob Dylan on Renaldo and Clara - The Allen Ginsberg Project

25. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.