Curtis Mayfield remastered box 1970-1974 coming 2/22/19 from Rhino

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jupiter8, Jan 11, 2019.

1. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Jim Duckworth

Jim Duckworth I can't lose with the stuff I use.

When my younger son was 11 years old, he said, "Don't make too big a deal out of this, but do you have any Curtis Mayfield records?"

Timos, uzn007, bcaulf and 27 others like this.
  3. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

Yes, do it right and don't twist it!

4. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

By my math, 1970-1974 would span 5 actual studio albums (Curtis, Roots, Back To The World, Sweet Exorcist, Got To Find A Way) so either one didn't make the cut or even worse maybe they spread the 5 albums over 4 discs with the beginning of Roots on disc 1 and the rest on disc 2. Got To Find A Way hopefully doesn't get skipped, it's maybe my favorite after Curtis. I started listening to the Charly reissue CD which people here seemed to hate but I thought was pretty good.

5. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I’m potentially very interested in this. But I also fear too little for the $$.

I’m staying tuned.

melstapler likes this.
  6. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

If there's a disc that's a two-fer, I feel like that would be okay. Sweet Exorcist and Got To Find A Way are each just over half an hour long. They could easily make a single disc with both and still have enough room for a bonus track or two. Color me very interested...

Hep Alien and Spadeygrove like this.
  7. Wasn't there a Curtis reissue campaign in the works, with some (a bunch?) of previously unreleased material, alternates, demos and such??

THAT'S what I'm looking for, is BONUS material from this period.

Doesn't sound like this is that.:confused:

8. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

If this is vinyl, CD and digital though, a 2fer CD is totally cool but putting the entire Got To Find A Way album on one side of 180g vinyl sounds like an abomination.

This era of his music is deserving of a super deluxe edition not just repackaging.

Hep Alien, jupiter8 and srsch like this.
  9. I am in as soon as I see a preorder link. Nice!

melstapler likes this.
  10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Why would they omit Superfly? It is a STUDIO album, even if it is a soundtrack.

11. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Likely due to licensing issues. I wonder if the vinyl will be AAA. If not, there really is no motivation to purchase as clean Monarch originals can be found without too much difficulty.

12. Arnold Grove

But Rhino has already released Superfly in numerous editions/configurations in the past, including a deluxe CD version with bonus tracks and on vinyl. I don't see why they would have a problem to do so again.

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm going to wait to see if they got the mastering and song sequence for the "Back To The World" album correct for once. Ever since Charley Records reissued his stuff, the mastering of this album has been wrong. It's wrong on reissued vinyl, on CDs, and on downloads. The only correct one, so far, is the original 1973 Curtom Records vinyl.

melstapler and Hep Alien like this.
  14. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Pre-order is up at amazon, but no track listing for this 4 CD release. A lot of this early material has recently been released on either SACD or Vinyl by MOFI or others. I would personally rather have some live or un-released material.

E.Baba and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  15. Unfortunately, not in Canada. I wish I could find clean Monarchs of Curtis' albums here

polchik likes this.
  16. Who needs it now with the current MFSL version being definitive. Hell, even the UMG deluxe sounds great.

17. Link?

18. Arnold Grove

I don't need Superfly per se either. And I have the other LPs too. But if you are putting out a box set subtitled "Studio Albums 1970 - 1974", then certainly it should include ALL studio albums from 1970 to 1974.

19. In that regard, you make a good point.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    bluejimbop and Arnold Grove like this.
  20. Arnold Grove

It happens occasionally .. ;)

21. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

Oh man, I hope they do this right. I have the mofi superfly sacd and love it. I’d love some more hires Mayfield done well (would love to see more mofi sacd releases but rhino have a pretty good track record on their soul hires offerings I think) Curtis in particular I’d be looking forward to - absolute belter of a record that I’m yet to have a definitive version of.

22. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

would've loved to have seen the Quad mixes for the "Roots" & "Back To The World" albums included in this set.

23. John D.

John D. Senior Member