Bluesound Node 2i

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rockin_since_58, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Received the Node 2i yesterday from Music Direct and am absolutely loving it. It is an amazing device at only $499. It is a game changer for me... Sound quality is very good using Tidal. This is going to allow me to stream as my main mode of listening. I see no need to continue to purchase physical media unless it is the only option available for a particular title. The second thing I really like is to be able to control the player from my phone and no longer need to have the computer running to listen to music.

2. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

Congratulations @rockin_since_58. Can anyone explain to me whether a Node 2 would increase sound quality (and if so, how) from my current set up of running Tidal and Spotify wirelessly from my iPhone through an Airport Express straight to my amp? Sound quality with my method is already really good and I also have full capability to control volume and tracks from my iPhone or Apple Watch, even though my amp (Elekit TU-8600) doesn't have a remote.

On a side note, the wife recently commented (without prompting) on how Tidal HiFi sounds better than Spotify Premium.

Tim 2, cdgenarian and displayname like this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Congrats :cheers:
    8 Years, still going strong (for 200.00) :winkgrin:
    [​IMG]

E.Baba and displayname like this.
  4. rockin_since_58

The one thing that would be better over the current setup is that the Node 2i will play the Tidal Masters file in Hi-Res. Also the Node does support the Airport Express. The DAC in the Node is most likely superior to the one in the iPhone also.

hman, jdsher, Myke Reid and 3 others like this.
  5. gov

gov Forum Resident

I have a vault2 and it's an incredible device. For ease and bang for the buck, it's unmatched in my experiences. Sound quality is better than it deserves to be

Tim 2 and displayname like this.
  6. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Thanks for the feedback. I am closely watching the input of the Node 2i vs other products. I'm still curious what type of set up you would need to beat it, but it sounds like it's checking all the boxes I would be focused on.

Tim S and c-eling like this.
  7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

For convenience sake these types of devices are a God send. I mainly use mine for LP/12 Inch transfers I make.
    Good to see these Node's getting good reviews. I keep eyeing these types of threads for the 'just in case mine craps out' scenario :laugh:

displayname likes this.
  8. gov

gov Forum Resident

I'm sure it could be beat but I'm also fairly sure it would take a greater multiple to do so as compared with other items I've seen.

9. displayname

This is exactly what I'm trying to wrap my head around. Where is that break point? And how long will this stuff be good for?
    If I buy a $500 Node 2i, I would expect most options from the Auralic or Lumin to beat it (at nearly 4x the cost). But in 3 years is new tech going to leaves me hunting for a new streamer anyway?

I have more fear of things going obsolete in the streaming/dac space compared to anywhere else in my system. Maybe that's generally an unfounded fear, but it's been a big part of my hesitation to invest in it. But at $500, it certainly is starting to seem more appealing.

russk, Myke Reid and Sugar Man like this.
  10. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

In my experience, the Bluesound Node 2i will dramatically improve things given your current setup. At its price point, I can find no fault whatsoever with the Node 2i. It sounds wonderful by any reasonable measure. Its internal DAC implementation, its reliability and stability of connectivity, and its control app interface are all excellent and worlds better than your existing setup. It’s a real upgrade, IMO.

11. BdoUK

BdoUK Forum Resident

Timely thread as I just saw a great open box deal on the 2i in the latest Music Direct email.

I've had the 2i for a little over a month and I'm really enjoying it. The ability to build my Tidal collection and enjoy so much music in high quality is a game changer.

Tim 2, displayname and Agitater like this.
  12. displayname

Dang it, I missed it. I'm sure one will come around soon enough.

13. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue.

Had my Node 2i for a little over two months now. Bought it primarily to replace my vintage FM tuner. One of the best home audio purchases I've ever made. So far just listening to stations on TuneIn and iHeartRadio. Already find myself listening to genres of music that I usually ignore. Except rap. Still ignore rap. Have yet to sign up for Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, etc. Will explore those after I check out many more radio and internet stations. Sound quality of this unit is pretty impressive. For the money spent it's very impressive!

Based on our current avatars I can't help but wonder if the OP is my long, lost brother. Lol

M. M.

Tim 2, Eigenvector, rem 600 and 3 others like this.
  14. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

I agree. I have a Node 2 and a 2i and they are some of the best audio values available out there. There's a guy on eBay that has them for $500 shipped but takes offers. Watch eBay for the occasional 15% off coupon and you can get a 2i for $391 shipped. That's how I got my 2i. Picked up my 2 for $350 a couple of years ago. I see them for $300ish used now.

Tim 2 and displayname like this.
  15. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

I'm a vinyl guy but my Node is great for streaming. The sound is very nice, though not up to my vinyl rig, but that has much more invested. Highly recommended

WapatoWolf, david1111 and displayname like this.
  16. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I don’t have a 2i, but I’ve been using a Node 2 for just over two years now and I’ve been very happy with it overall. I mainly use it to stream my own FLACs from a WD My Cloud drive in another room, but I sometimes use the streaming services too. Unfortunately it’s recently started having technical issues (it suddenly stops working for multiple hours at a time) which is certainly concerning. I reached out to their support team this week so hopefully I can get that sorted out. And despite this I’m still a fan because I’ve gotten so much good use out of it the past couple years.

17. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I have a Node 2 connected to my DAC. However, the DAC in the Node is really good. When I first got the Node 2 a couple of years ago, I compared it's internal DAC with My former Peachtree preamp's Dac and the Node was clearly better (more detail, wider soundstage). My Pro-Ject s2 is slightly better sounding than the Node internal DAC, but nothing earth shattering. I would be more than happy with the Node 2 internal DAC full time if I did not have the outboard gear.

18. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Of course, it could be a problem with the Node, but you might try a few things:
    1. Unplug it from wall power, wait a minute, plug it in and let it restart
    2. If the Node is on wireless, switch your router wireless channel to 1, 6, or 11. It could be someone nearby is now using the same channel as you are and that can cause connectivity issues
    3. Update the Node firmware if not on the latest version: N100_usb_stick_3.2.10 - Bluesound

adamos and Wasabi like this.
  19. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

I agree, try all this but if you still need Bluesound support, they are excellent.

Tim 2, Ezd and adamos like this.
  20. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

For the 2i owners, how often do you use AirPlay and what are your thoughts?

I connected a 3rd gen Apple TV to my Node 2 via toslink and am curious if the 2i is an improvement or sideways move.

21. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Thanks for the suggestions. A problem I’ve had for some time is that occasionally when I open the app on my phone or iPad it indicates “No players found.” In the past I would do #1 (unplug it) and then after it restarted the app would find it again. But starting a couple weeks ago, when I plug it back in it doesn’t seem to restart or power on at all (and no lights of any color are shown). Then anywhere from a few hours later to the next morning the blue light comes back on and it works again. The issue is now recurring every couple of days or so.

The first suggestion tech support gave was to try a different power source, so I ran an extension cord to a different outlet as a test but the issue still happened again. I checked and I do have the latest firmware, so I’ll try #2 which I’ve never checked before.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  22. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Could it be your network?

Have you already tried to restart your modem / router? (Unplug them for 1 min. and restart)

adamos likes this.
  23. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Thanks - it certainly could be, but I did restart the router last week and it didn’t help.

24. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

If the LED on top of the unit does not activate, that is not a good sign. You might try a "Factory Reset". How to do this, and what the LED color codes mean, are explained in the manual:
    https://www.bluesound.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/OOM-NODE-June-18-2014.pdf

On the chance the problem is wifi/network-related, you might give it a try temporarily wired to your router.

adamos likes this.
  25. rockin_since_58

Seems like it could be possible o_O

blowinblue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.