Upgrade a Rega P9?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dennis Metz, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit Thread Starter

I have a Rega P9 with an Apheta cartridge. I like it quite a bit, but was wondering what would be the next step up...:edthumbs::cheers:

granata and Echoes Myron like this.
  2. james

james Summon The Queen

I'd keep it unless you want to go in a completely different direction, like a Garrard/Thorens, Technics or SME.

gov, Echoes Myron and Maltman like this.
  3. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

If your pockets go down to your ankles maybe an RP8 or RP10? But it doesn’t seem to me that you need to upgrade from what you’ve got. Maybe look at upgrading some other part of your system.

Fishoutofwater and Echoes Myron like this.
  4. audiolab1

audiolab1 Forum Resident

Without moving away from your current table/arm, I'd look at a non-Rega cartridge and/or a phono stage upgrade.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  5. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Keep it and get an use Rega Ios phono stage instead...

Echoes Myron likes this.
  6. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Or a custom build from the likes of Inspire?

Home

plastico likes this.
  7. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

It would be an interesting comparison with the new RP8/Apheta. I don’t know the answer as to which is best, but the RP8 is getting rave reviews, and I’m guessing the used price for the P9 might be around the same as for an RP8. The design is obviously quite different if aesthetics are important to you.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  8. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Have not heard the P9, but I have to imagine going to an RP10 would only be an incremental change for the money? Maybe an Aphelion/Aura?

There are rumors that Rega is coming out with a turntable a level above the P10. Now that would be something!

I just finished building my "reference" system which is RP10/Alpheta2/Aria/Elicit-R/KEF Reference 1. It is an incredible system and I am not planning any upgrades for many years. But when the time comes I am thinking Aphelion/Aura and maybe an Osiris or possibly go a different direction for the amp. Very happy with the all-Rega front end though. And the RP10 is all the table I will ever need. A very special piece of gear.

9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I've only heard them separately and in different systems, but for my money the RP10 was noticeably better than the P9 so I'd wait until they bring out the Planar 10 and give it a very serious demo, otherwise it's go vintage or look at Michell, Vertere, SME, Technics etc.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  10. Aereoplain

Aereoplain Forum Resident

New cartridge

Echoes Myron likes this.
  11. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I think you're at the bottom of the rabbit hole.

Dennis Metz and Echoes Myron like this.
  12. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

You have a really nice table. Maybe an Audiomods V tonearm. That would give you more flexibility in cartridge selection and I think it's a better arm overall, but the 1000 is still a good arm.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

When I last heard a P9 I was unimpressed. Based on what I have heard on a limited basis I think anything from the new P6 up is better. Would suggest hold out for the new P10 or go for something completely different such as Michell Orbe or Notts Hyperspace.

14. Given your current TT/Cart I'd upgrade the Naim Stageline or look into the Apheta II.

Morbius likes this.
  15. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

This thread is right up my alley, i have a P9 with an RB2000, which was born out of necessity as i bought a used P9 and the arm was damaged but i really glad ive got it. I have seen it written that the RB330 matches and even surpasses the RB700 and comes very close to the RB1000 and the RB808 according to a Rega employee (discussion was in the New P6 thread) betters it. I have to say i am skeptical given the source of the info but if you bought your P9 used then maybe a new arm and fresh bearings could be nice. On the other hand if you bought it new and or know its history then maybe its not worth it.

I cant see myself changing from the P9 and if i did i would have to A/B it live in the same room with its possible replacement. I am not familiar with Naim gear so cant comment on upgrades there but i have heard the Apheta 2 on an RP10 and i would say if the sharpness of the Apheta 1 bothers you or you get sibilance then the Apheta 2 will fix that and maybe round out the tone a bit. I use tube power amps to tame it a bit but i like its sound. I actually have 2 of them one of which is worn out and i will be getting it rebuilt with a micro ridge stylus and boron cantilever. I do think i may end up with an Apheta 2 at some stage though.

[​IMG]

Morbius, GyroSE and Dennis Metz like this.
  16. Dennis Metz

Thanks for the responses. I should update my profile to include the preamp I’m actually using. Because of a lack of wife acceptance I’m using my P9 in my basement system.

JD 9 II Phono Preamp | Jolida

I think maybe it’s time to try a new cartridge.

17. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Be careful....one of the things I most like about my RP8 is the synergy with the Apheta 2.:p

18. Dennis Metz

If I go for a new cartridge it will be an Apheta 2. :edthumbs::cheers:

19. I have owned a P9 for years but seldom listen to vinyl. The one thing I miss with a belt drive is torque.

Leave artisanal tables behind, go nuts and get the new Technics SP 10 R.

SamS likes this.
  20. Dennis Metz

LOL:cheers:

21. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Oh my goodness....

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

This.

I also owned the P9 for years. Went to the Technics SL-1200GAE and never looked back.

23. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Get a different cartridge. I never liked Rega cartridges.

Scott

24. Steve0

Steve0 Audio Banana

Upgrade it to an Orotfon Credenza Bzlack MC cart & Herron VTPH-2 Phono stage

25. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Don't put an Ortofon on the P9 (sorry) - bad match. If you upgrade cart, the Apheta 2 is definitely better than the original.
    Your best single improvement would be the power supply - if the P9 PSU can be swapped out for the RP10 one, or the new Neo, either of which would hugely improve detail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.