Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. invalidcharacters

invalidcharacters Well-Known Member

Right? He's not only the bandleader, he's THE bandleader. No other bandleader like him.
    In my opinion he pushed cats like Shorter, Morgan, Freddie, Fuller further than they'd ever go in anything else I've ever heard them on.
    It takes a special kind of guy to do that.
    You think Lee Morgan would've played that solo on A Night In Tunisia if he wasn't dodging those bullets flying from Blakey's snare?
    You think Freddie and Wayne would've been playing with such a fierce sense of urgency and immediacy if they weren't crashing down the avalanche of Blakey's cymbals on Free For All?
    Is it possible" Sure. But not likely.
    They were great players, the greatest even, but in my opinion never as great as they were when being pushed to the brink of sanity by a true madman.

2. invalidcharacters

Philly Joe is my third.
    He did for 50's Prestige what Blakey did for 60's Blue Note.
    A true innovator and a true technician, and a true soul brother.
    Me placing Blakey above him is just personal preference.
    I probably appreciate he and Elvin about the same.
    Just because I like 60's music a little more than 50's.
    Ah, who am I kidding, I can't hold a candle to these guys, not worthy to wipe the sweat from their brows, so who cares what I've got to say.

PauGasmall and mikeyt like this.
  3. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Have you heard Solid yet?!? :winkgrin:

4. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I can only imagine how dry Phoenix can be! If its anything like the midwest dry sub zero cold we get here, static can present an issue especially with a carpeted room.

Luckily my listening room is mostly hardwood and brick for the fireplace, wooden paneling, and humidity is relatively OK for me here.

I did end up running my SRX's through my RCM though purely for the static charge that was built up during shipping through some extreme cold here.

5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Awesome to hear as I just ordered that along with several others right before I saw your cool post! "recstar24" was raving about this classic as well. I now have two really nice orders on the way and not much I can do but sit back and enjoy all of the cool posts on this thread until they arrive, but for now I am off to my basement and time to fire up some good sounding vinyl/music for the day.

recstar24 likes this.
  6. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Man i love philly Joe jones. Works great on those late 50s early 60s hard bop sessions. Interesting and creative and fitting in with what’s around him.

My personal preferences for jazz drummers are Elvin #1, Tony Williams #2, Philly joe #3. Maybe Joe Chambers #4

I like Blakey but I’m not in love with him. Kind of like how some people (ie me) prefer Bonzo but don’t like Peart. I respect Blakey. It just haven’t connected at all with him. For me, Elvin is the guy - chops, so much creativity, graceful power, and knows how to really move with the players, how to mess with the rhythm unpredictably while serving the song too.

Any of you guys drummers or former drummers? I played through college in bar bands 25 years ago and miss it daily. Love MM for how vivid the drums and cymbals are

7. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

I consider Philly Joe Jones an equal to Blakey in terms of pure drumming. Blakey has an edge on him in terms of talent development.

Guitarded and mikeyt like this.
  8. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I experience nearly CD quiet when I listen to vinyl on my system most of the time and I never wash my records though I do use a carbon fiber brush before every play and I don't believe static charge on the records surface is audible either. I too live in a cold climate and dewpoints get into the minus degrees around here. Static is annoying in that it attracts dust (I'll also argue that dust has a minimal effect on noise as well) and sometimes make the record stick to the record mat but other than that I've no experience where it affected sound quality. As for invalidcharacters' complaints of noise on ANIT and FFA I think they're justified since both of my copies have clicks and pops especially side two of FFA. I've played Adams Apple all the way through without a single click or pop except for Chief Crazy Horse where there was one reasonably loud click. Sometimes these surface noises will work them selves out after a couple of plays, I've had this happen recently with a MOFI copy of Bridge Over Troubled Water and now the whole record sounds pristine. So I wont totally pass judgement until I've heard ANIT and FFA a few times. I'll let you know.

recstar24 and Bryce like this.
  9. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Ok, you guys have pushed me to order another batch of these SRX's. I'm still holding off on Afro-Cuban and A Night in Tunisia in hopes that I can live with my previous versions -- nervous as hell about that! :sweating:

scotti likes this.
  10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Join the club, just happened to me as well. Can't have enough of incredible sounding vinyl and Jazz at that!

timzigs likes this.
  11. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

Me too. I placed a 2nd order 2 days ago.

timzigs and scotti like this.
  12. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

I love them all. I think Tony Williams may have been the most innately talented, but Blakey's track record as a leader is untouchable IMO -- so many classics, so much world class Messenger talent put squarely in the spotlight on those recordings. And my appreciation for Joe Chambers as both a composer and a performer has grown tremendously after hearing the new Blue Note Review pressing of Patterns.

13. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

While I haven't connected with Blakey's drumming or his albums much, I like em but not $60 like em, yeah, no doubt about him as a bandleader and developer and eye for great talent. I love Lee Morgan, Wayne Shorter, so many greats that played with the Messengers at some point. Pretty incredible

14. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

Waiting for report I follow interested .

Morbius likes this.
  15. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Tony Williams has ruined me for drummers. Nobody else is as creative, musical, and consistently breathtaking. Elvin Jones would be my second but he didn't have nearly the breadth of styles Tony did. Tony's work with Miles' second great quintet alone is unparalleled.

I really don't care much for Blakey. He's just not very creative or musical. He'll beat your head in quite impressively at times but that's about all. Just listening to his solo in "Kozo's Waltz" as I type. It's like geez dude I get it, you can pound hard, now stop please.

16. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I'm tempted to Report you for this.

...but the Mods are scolds and wouldn't get it.

17. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Art Blakey isn’t creative or musical?! Some of you guys really say the darndest things! I understand if he’s not someone’s cup of tea. That’s fine, but let’s not go overboard. You can’t be the preeminent drummer in hardbop and not be creative or musical. It’s like saying Michael Jordan couldn’t play basketball. You don’t have to love the guy, but put some respect on his name. He deserves that at the very least.

Tommyboy, Admerr, sunspot and 7 others like this.
  18. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I'm not the only person that thinks this. Get off your high horse.

19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

The floor noise is more of a rumble. Dont think what Im hearing can be cleaned.

And no its not my turntable. If that were so, Id have rumble with most every record.

Rumble probably isnt the best description. But it certainly isnt dead silence.

20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Surface noise and noise floor are different things.

Joti Cover and AnalogJ like this.
  21. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Not on a high horse. It’s possible to not like someone’s playing style without insulting them. I know, crazy.

22. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I literally only talked about his playing. I did not positionally insult him.

23. invalidcharacters

I think this little discussion of drummers got started when I said my friends do not care for Blakey on the level that I do.
    That group of friends all happen to be "jazz musicians", in the most classic sense of the phrase.
    They all idolize Tony Williams, who I have yet to be able to connect to.
    I respect him and appreciate him, but not on a visceral level.
    I am trying to find a way to honestly state my experience without expressing any disrespect, so please hold the outrage.
    His playing on Point of Departure, Maiden Voyage and with the second Miles quintet are all amazing.
    It's something to be said he seems to appear on a lot of milestones which really pushed the genre forward.
    But there are times that he loses me in a way that Blakey, Elvin and Philly Joe never do.
    I'd be interested to find out if musictoad is a musician.
    Maybe there is a trend to this.
    Maybe the musicians tend to appreciate Tony Williams more and those of us that are strictly listeners appreciate Blakey More.
    Maybe not.
    I wanted to stay out of this discussion (it's starting to border on argument above) but the fact that it is a major topic of discussion among my friends and now also here really interests me.

googlymoogly likes this.
  24. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

This discussion makes me chuckle. I actually once did ask a jazz drummer trained at Berklee School of Music if he preferred Blakey, Roach, or Jones. His reply was Buddy Rich. Since I only play guitar, I didn't argue.

Bryce likes this.
  25. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

You guys already on your 2nd SRX orders are the real MVP’s.

scotti and PauGasmall like this.