Did Paul ever consider working with Badfinger?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tarce, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarce

Tarce Forum Resident Thread Starter

Kind of a fantasy I've always had. Had McCartney gone into the studio with those harmonies instead of Linda--God Love her. Think of how much better Ram would have sounded. Hell, think of how much better Band on the Run would have sounded--and it probably would have saved Badfinger.

RickH and DK Pete like this.
  2. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

One of the pet dreams of mine would be a late 1971/early 1972 tour by Paul & Badfinger:

With three hour, thirty songs setlists, as with the gigs he does nowadays, with a lot of new material from RAM, McCartney, the Another Day single, etc. But also a lot of old Beatles tunes, with some obscure tunes and some obvious hits. Preferably with as much setlist variation as Springsteen in the 75/85 period. Linda would play some keys, as would Pete Ham, and bass duties would mostly go to Paul, but on his piano/guitar songs, it would go to Tom Evans, who would otherwise play rhythm guitar. Maybe even give the band 2/3 songs a night, as he did with Denny Laine, if he's feeling generous.

Still not sure if it should feature horns or not, but it already starts off much better than Wings. Paul wanted to have a real band back then, and he would have gotten just that and some more! They were a great, tight band, with some kickass harmonies and enough talent to back Paul up. And Linda would be relieved of much of the heavy lifting she did back then, due to the Badfinger guys.

A man can dream, can't he? :D

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Mark L., RickH, botfinger and 2 others like this.
  3. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Well, he did "work with them" on "Come And Get It" and "Rock Of All Ages". I believe he's actually doubling Tom Evans on the lead vocal on the flip.

4. 905

905 Senior Member

My wish is that Paul produced a Badfinger album. I posted this before on the Forum, but Paul has an artist's tender heart that could've benefited them.

RickH, Tord and lightbulb like this.
  5. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

But where does Badfinger's excellent catalog come in? I own more BF than Macca. -E

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I like the fact that he gave them a start and helped out with a couple of songs.
    I'm glad they were there own entities, Paul would have overshadowed them even if he didn't try to.
    I wouldn't want to change Ram, Red Rose, Band On The Run or Venus and Mars personally

7. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

...IF there was any justice in this universe...
    :(

MortSahlFan and john lennonist like this.
  8. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

McCartney offered to produce the Airwaves lp, and Joey and Tommy turned him down, not wanting to further relegate themselves to the Beatles' shadow. They can't be faulted for wanting to establish their own identity as a band, but his decision came back to bite them, as they had problems finding a suitable producer for the album afterwards. They finally wound up having to use the producer their label foisted upon them, a Nashville guy more used to working with contemporary country artists than "classic" rock or pop/rock artists.

9. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Well,that was a great decision then.

somnar likes this.
  10. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

He could have changed the name of the band to "Badfingerwings"!!

11. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

(After his experience with the financial arrangements of The Beatles (a four way partnership of equals) Paul was never going to let himself get involved like that again with other people. His bands have always been employer/employee arrangements since the breakup.)

Zeki and swandown like this.
  12. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

I agree. I'd much rather listen to Badfinger than Macca, in fact I don't remember the last time I played one of the few solo albums I have of his. As well, I enjoyed the two Badfinger concerts I attended back in the 70s far more than Paul's extravaganzas.

Kate_C. and Jet Age Eric like this.
  13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I think Paul should put together a Badfinger-type band for which he strictly writes and produces. It would be a great way, I think, for him to continue giving us new material but with a sense of freshness and energy which, no matter how hard he continues to try, is lacking from his albums.

botfinger and jammincrowe like this.
  14. kunstwork

kunstwork Forum Resident

Had Badfinger joined him he might have had a band, but it wouldn't have been "his" band

15. gss

gss Forum Resident

I’m not sure how I feel about this, but it sure is a fascinating thought.

16. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

It's probably fair to add that Paul would have been keen for "no ego conflicts" should he join a band (or form a band), so he probably would have fit into Badfinger as a finger fits into a mitten or a glove.

17. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I would rather George work with them. I think George's albums would have been better with them playing behind him--and not just on acoustic guitars and percussion.

somnar, botfinger and john lennonist like this.
  18. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

BTW--Kathie Molland told me that Paul and Joey never met. Joey was not yet in the band when Paul produced the songs for Magic Christian Music.

somnar, groundharp and jammincrowe like this.
  19. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I think the big impediment was that Paul wanted nothing to do with Apple after the Beatle break up. He stopped working with Mary Hopkin too. George seemed to be the most keen to work with Apple acts in this era.

lightbulb likes this.
  20. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

Could've made for a great album.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  21. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

Would that he had. The album might sound more cohesive and have less of an LA session player sound.

22. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

I hope your "LA session player sound" isn't a slap at Nicky Hopkins, one of my favorite musicians. Hopkins had worked with Evans before, on the Iveys lp, and on the Imagine lp. Badfinger had asked him to join the band, and he had said OK, but his manager scuttled that by asking for too much money. Badfinger were left not knowing if the high asking price for joining was something Hopkins was aware of and had approved, or if his manager was doing that behind his back.

23. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Totally disagree. Linda's voice is essential to the Wings sound.

Mark L. and somnar like this.
  24. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

Love Nicky. Genius from the Stones to Jealous Guy.

groundharp likes this.
  25. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

I guess he could have put a plaster on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.