Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Since you asked, I was the lead trumpet in my state's all-star Jazz band in high school. I also drummed in a rock band. So maybe there is something to it?

2. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

FTR, I love both Blakey & Williams. Totally different styles but within the same idiom. One of the things I love about jazz are these types of contrasts and individual stylings that create such beautiful music.

Not a musician btw, at least never seriously.

Joti Cover, AnalogJ and Bryce like this.
  3. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

This thread sure has taken a different turn :winkgrin:

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

A question - Blues Walk in stereo (AP 45) or mono (MM 33). In strictly asking in terms of mono or stereo?

robd2 and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  5. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

About to turn into a Free For All

:hide:

drkNRG, JorgeGvb, PauGasmall and 3 others like this.
  6. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I think you could say its happily “drumming to another beat “

recstar24 and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  7. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

It should be mentioned that Blakey started as a piano man and some gangster told him at gunpoint to play the drums, so he did.

Admerr, timzigs and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  8. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Solid.

9. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

$9.95 shipping is a cash grab. Via Media Mail. Ive shipped a lot of lps via Media over the years...and its not $9.95 for 2 lbs of Media.

10. invalidcharacters

invalidcharacters Well-Known Member

I had them cleaned but I don't really have the time or environment to play them again today.
    I will play them again though, probably Monday as I work 12 hour shifts the next two days, and I will report back.
    What's weird is the Inner Urge only has maybe one little pop when I played it after playing the Blakeys. All were first spins.
    Then I played my MM Point of Departure 33rpm (which I purchased years ago and have played multiple times) and it played perfect, not a lick of surface noise, just as I remembered.
    I hope Morbius is right and they will work themselves out because ANIT and FFA are my favorite Blue Note releases period.
    I don't recall ever having any surface noise at all on any of my other MMs though, not even on first spin.
    Anyway, let me know what you think after a few spins Morbius and I'll do the same for you.

Morbius likes this.
  11. AnalogJ

I think that most of us in this forum know to clean a record before playing it. We don't need to tell people here to remove the stylus guard before playing either.

Tommyboy and Bryce like this.
  12. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Nothing like blue note jazz puns to lighten the mood.

PauGasmall, Bobby Buckshot and Stu02 like this.
  13. AnalogJ

Blakey was an AMAZING force of nature. His music was muscular and often aggressive, really driving the music forward. Was his the most introspective, lyrical flavor of jazz? No. But no one swung more severely than Blakey.

Admerr and Guitarded like this.
  14. AnalogJ

Very good, but showy. He drove the music forward in a similar vein to Blakey. But Blakey was doing it in the 1950s. Rich's fame came a decade later.

15. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

He’s awesome. And, you’re right, on that session he’s on fire. He’s one of the reasons I have it on 33 and 45 (AP version). Love that record!

mikeyt likes this.
  16. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

There is also a cost for the shipping materials which have always been top notch.

17. invalidcharacters

No but it will probably be in my second batch if I get one. Have you heard it? Let me know what you think.

18. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

Factor in the cost of the shipping carton (not to mention all attendant labor costs) while you may be saying that MM should eat all costs to get the lp to a customer’s door.

I guess my interpretation is that they made a killer product. You want it, pick it up at their door or pay to have it shipped in their great packaging.

vette442 likes this.
  19. invalidcharacters

I have never been a huge fan of Whistle Stop. Haven't heard the MM, though.
    I always expect Quiet Kenny 2 and when I don't get that I have trouble enjoying it.
    I do like Joe's playing on it, though. Especially on Sunset, I've always liked that track.
    You've inspired me to revisit Whistle Stop soon though.
    I haven't heard Quiet Kenny in a while, so maybe I will be able to view Whistle Stop through its own lens.
    I never did get the Analogue Productions Quiet Kenny before it went out of print.
    If anybody knows where I can get a sealed one in the US for a reasonable price, feel free to let me know!

mikeyt likes this.
  20. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Lol, you would be surprised my friend.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  21. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Yeah, they basically package the records in a tank.

Joti Cover likes this.
  22. Absolutely. It has cost them a $120-$180 order from me this far. Although I will likely bite in the end.

$6-$7 in shipping materials for a single LP? No way.

Labor costs are over head and should not be paid on a per record basis. They get away with it because they are a low volume outfit, will sell all their stock, and jack up the prices on their customers when stock gets low. But I’m willing to bet the profit on my order (that they have lost this far) far outweighs the cost that they would eat on the shipping. It comes down to the time value of money and quite honestly I would wager this decision lowers profits in the long run. I obviously have not done the analysis, but I’m willing to bet they haven’t either.

23. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

It is within a dollar or so if it is insured for the purchase price.
    (I was thinking for @ $200)
    I didn't see that was for a single LP.

24. Insuring shipments when shipping at that volume and with high quality mailers is a foolish decision. The extra cost of insurance would far outweigh the costs of replacements at the rate of mail damage to products with high quality mailers

25. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I think you guys believe there's a lot more profit involved in all of this than there actually is.

drkNRG, Joe Harley, JorgeGvb and 8 others like this.