Beach Boys 1968 - "I Can Hear Music: The 20/20 Sessions" and "Wake The World: The Friends Sessions"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pool_of_tears, Jul 2, 2017.

1. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Thanks, lou. I didn't realize the single version was available in mono.

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

It was only available in mono until the Hawthorne CA comp remix.

3. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Yes it was their last mono single.

4. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Wow! I can't thank you enough for all this information.

willy and FJFP like this.
  5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity Thread Starter

The single version was mono. The LP version was in stereo.

6. oldsurferdude

Ah, yes! The single is, like you said, mono. The flip is Nearest Far Away Place in stereo. Haven't pulled out the 45's in awhile. Gulp.

7. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

In New Zealand, they released both versions of the Cottonfields 45:
    1- cottonfields/nearest....
    2-cottonfields/time to get alone
    The first one is the most common one, but why the hell did they not
    use 'time to get alone' as a b-side.
    It had a chance of being a great double A!

FJFP and oldsurferdude like this.
  8. oldsurferdude

And why was Cottonfields not released in stereo on the single? :wtf:

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  9. Craig Slowinski

Craig Slowinski Forum Resident

It was only mixed in mono at the time - the same reason all their prior singles were mixed in mono, so that it would sound great on AM transistor radios. And it worked! (everywhere but in the States, that is)

pablo fanques and Mr. D like this.
  10. oldsurferdude

I thought about that, but stereo phonos and radios were really coming on in those days. I bought my first stereo at JC Penny in 1967 and every record I purchased was stereo from then on.

11. oldsurferdude

Except Wild Honey.

Braulio Acosta likes this.
  12. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Craig is the greatest. I kneel at the altar.

I posted this on one of the BB fan boards but I’m enjoying the live set thus far — it’s still hard even for me as a hardcore to listen to the same songs that many times so I’m doing one show at a time. And I’m having an easier time than I did with the ‘67 live set. Band seems tighter. As usual I think the newer songs sound best, and it doesn’t seem like the crowd response really suffers on them here. It helps that the WH-Friends era songs don’t tend to stop a show in its tracks like, say, “Gettin’ Hungry.”

pablo fanques, Pants Party and FJFP like this.
  13. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Lifelong Beach Boys FREAK (met them all except Dennis due to being 14 at the time of his passing) and I have NEVER seen this lineup. It makes a lot more sense now that we know that All I Wanna Do dates fro '68 but WOW. I will create that playlist immediately (minus OLP). Such an amazing time to be a fan of this group. Every family should be this dysfuncti0nal! Oh wait....mine IS!!!

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  14. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I’m always puzzled why GTKTW was in mono. And also, when can I hear it!

15. Craig Slowinski

My guess is because Dennis was going for a real '50s kinda sound (ala Big Bopper or somebody like that), he originally considered a mono mix.

FJFP likes this.
  16. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Just listened to all the non - London shows yesterday and for me the best shows are Chicago and Lincoln. I'm in the process of picking the best rendition of each song from all the US shows, this is what I've come up with so far but I'm not finished:

Darlin' - Waterloo
    Rhonda - Fargo
    California Girls - Fargo
    Surfer Girl - Lincoln
    Do It Again - Chicago
    Friends - Chicago or Lincoln (I don't like how Mike introduces the song in Chicago as a "bomb of ours")
    Wouldn't It Be Nice - Lincoln
    Medley - Lincoln
    God Only Knows - Chicago or Lincoln
    Good Vibrations - Chicago
    I Get Around - Phoenix (only time they performed it)
    Barbara Ann - Chicago - there's some bass distortion, but lead guitar break is killer

17. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Just heard the news about Darryl Dragon. R.I.P.

18. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

OK for the songs I didn't get to on my last post - the best US 68 tour performances:

Little Bird - Lincoln
    Do It Again - Waterloo
    Wake The World - Phoenix
    Johnny B Goode - Phoenix

picassoson likes this.
  19. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I don't remember any noises on it other than the sticky splices that caused flutter on those 2 tracks, they were corrected on the 2fers.

20. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Does anyone have info on the full band lineup on the live set? Have no idea who is playing what..

21. Craig Slowinski

Scroll back a few pages in this thread...we get into that. Limited info, but better than nothing.

harmony kick and John Manning like this.
  22. Kyle T.

Kyle T. Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me the chronology of "We're Together Again"? I'd always assumed the version that appeared as a bonus track on the Friends/20-20 twofers was the final/master version, and that the version with the slide guitar was perhaps an earlier, discarded take on the song. But now the labeling of that same version on the "I Can Hear Music" release as "Remake Track" suggests to me that it came later. The dates given for its recording are Sept. 3, 6, & 9. The Bellagio web sessionography has dates for the song in late May as well. Does anyone know for sure which version came first? And I've got various bootleg versions of the slide guitar track with backing vocals (but no leads)--so were the lead vocals only done with the "twofer" version of the song? (Which again would suggest to me that that version was recorded later though I could very well be wrong.)

23. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

My understanding is the vocal version is the May version, the track was recut in September but no lead vocals were done.

On a different track, what is that weird instrument playing on Cool as Can Be 2? organ, or synthesizer? The playing is all over the place.

Be Here in the Morning Darling reminds me of Soulful Old Man Sunshine - an old school "jazzy" sound.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  24. tingly

tingly Forum Resident

Be Here in the Morning Darling reminds me of Me and My Shadow (strolling down the avenue), but just in the one part where they borrow the melody.

John Manning likes this.
  25. Craig Slowinski

The version previously released as a bonus track on the Friends/20-20 twofer is indeed the earlier one, from May '68. Incidentally, in case you're unaware, a second-generation reel of that version, including a string overdub and extra backing vocals not present on the twofer version, was discovered, mixed down to stereo, and included on the 2013 Made In California six-disc box set. The version with the country-ish steel guitar, backing vocals, and no lead, is the remake from September '68 (apparently produced by or with Murry Wilson). No lead was ever recorded for that.