Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

This is great to hear, Kevin. Please don’t make the assumption that I outright said you were ‘closed-minded’ as you’re far from that from what I’ve witnessed on this thread. I do want to say that I do believe there are pieces of music that you’ll feel immediately (like Vaughan Williams’ Symphony No. 3, ‘A Pastoral Symphony’ for example). I think it’s important to understand that the spirit of these composers lives in the music. All of their personal touches are there, you, by your own admission, just haven’t dove deep enough to the ocean yet. You shouldn’t be forced to listen to anything you don’t want and you should go at your own pace, but believe me when I say this, classical music changed my perception of music and, unlike any other music I’ve ever heard, it actually brings tears to my eyes, because I’ve heard so much music that has shaken my very core and never has it let go. That’s the power of this music and I think you should start exploring what you want and the sounds that you gravitate towards. When I first started listening to classical, my grandfather made several suggestions to me of who to check out and what pieces to listen to, but, to be honest, none of them sounded like something I’d enjoy, so I started to do some exploring myself and just dove right in, but then I realized that I already knew two composers: Bartók and Ives. So, I started with them and never looked back. It’s been a hugely rewarding musical journey and it’s one that only you can take as you have to figure out and try to assimilate what it is you’re actually after and want to hear.

Starwanderer likes this.
  2. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Thanks for this AA it is sad but fabulous that they went the extra yard for so few. Wonderful story.

Starwanderer and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  3. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Yes, good advice! I saw the documentary too.

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Just wanted to add that the US cd and a later Japanese cd or two has extra material included.

5. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

You didn't ask me dircetly but in the spirit of conversation, and considering how infrequent Zorn gets mentioned......if we count those releases that are under his name but do not necessarily feature him as a player (such as the Book Of Angels) which is how I have enerything filed as though he were a "Classical" composer, then he's only surpassed in single-disc count by Miles Davis. Considering Miles boxed sets. Which is pretty numerous. I gave up a while ago trying to keep up. I do my nest but man, talk about prolific.

angelheaded hipster burning
    for the ancient heavenly connection
    to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night,

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Rob C and Mirror Image like this.
  6. AxiomAcoustics

Damn this thread moves fast, I can't keep up and don;t know where to join these intriguing discussions.
    :sigh:

jawaka1000 likes this.
  7. AxiomAcoustics

How does this SACD sound? Would love to pick this up. Quick circular (First Circle?) anecdote about this album:

This was my first PM album, bought when it first came out (on double cassette)while in high school because Danny Gottlieb was one of the hot drummers of the times, appearing on the cover of Modern Drummer etc and I loved it, played the hell out of it. That ride cymbal work of his just made the music float on a cushion of air. That was what, 1983. A few years later in college I would use some of the tuunes they were touring on "Travels" from "Offramp" as intro and outro music for a rasdio show I did. Then, about 15 years after I discovered "Travels" (and read the liner notes of course) I would be working at a firm that was hired to spec the acoustics for the first mobile recording truck that was owned and operated by the engineer that recorded "Travels", Randy Erzratty. The little things....:)

Mirror Image, jay.dee and eeglug like this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Personally, I don't think murder is funny
    Lee Morgan, RIP

9. AxiomAcoustics

Jonathan Horwich of International Phonograph was involved with the production of this so it should sound spectacular. Been waiting excitedly for this. For those unfamiliar do pick up any of their titles you can find:
    CD Reissues — International Phonograph Inc.

Yesternow likes this.
  10. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

This thread is like a Miles live show. It might look like a pointless long jam from the outside. No breaks, no themes announced. The group is focused in the groove. No big solos from any member. But then a small cue, a nuance from someone and we know we're into something new.

Lonson is the anchor man, someone will be stocking the fire (maybe mirror Image with several new CDs), Tribute will add some colours to the tune, chervokas might take a solo...
    There's always something for everyone.

Jump in at the next chord change.

Mugrug12, Tribute, bluejimbop and 9 others like this.
  11. AxiomAcoustics

It's notot so much that, it's the sheer pace and volume of good content. I use a screen reader and other accessibility tools which really slows things down terribly. Plus, I compose my posts (unless they're quick quips or asides) in another program then paste them here. Just overwhelming sometimes and before I know it I'm 10 pages behind in just a day.. Hence: :sigh:

Starwanderer and Yesternow like this.
  12. AxiomAcoustics

This was likely maentioned already but as for other albums to check out in this general bag do not miss the albums that Pharoah (not to be connfused with Pharaoh) laid down with Alice Coltrane, specifically that fertile run from 1968-1970 that includes "A Monastic Trio", "Ptah, The El Daoud" and "Journey In Satchidinanda". This one is a little more "challenging" but an excellent listen as well, good for what ails ya :)

Cosmic Music: John Coltrane & Alice Coltrane

John Coltrane — tenor saxophone, bass clarinet
    Pharoah Sanders — tenor saxophone, piccolo
    Alice Coltrane — piano
    Jimmy Garrison — bass
    Rashied Ali — drums
    Ray Appleton — percussion (Trane tracks)
    Ben Riley — percussion (Alice tarcks)

Recorded February 2, 1966 (Trane tracks comprising the two extended lead tracks on each side) and January 29, 1968 (the two Alice tracks from a session that produced tracks that appear also on her debut "A Monastic Trio"). This would sit in the discography between "Meditations" and "Live At The Village Vanguard Again!". The Coltrane Quintet +1 tracks are very much what you'd expect from this period and hits on all cylinders, deserving of contemporaneous release. The two tracks from the Alice Coltrane Quartet +1 are also what you'd expect, based on a hypnotic ostinato bass vamp very much in the mode of her early impulse! releases.

This recent Superior Viaduct reissue reproduces the original private press artwork and sounds quite good. Remastered at Fantasy and pressed at RTI it's a must-buy for any late-period Coltrane fan at ~$22. And how often do you get to hear John on Bass Clarinet?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. AxiomAcoustics

You're showing your stripes with that nomenclature :laugh: There is an SF Jazz Records label that has released some of the SF Jazz Collective albums, all of which I've heard are excellent. So it would certainly seem possible that they could release something. But unfortunately I don;t believe they've been as active as they could/should be. Unless I've missed something.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  14. Mirror Image

I haven’t listened to the SACD layer of the disc, but the regular CD layer sounds fantastic. I’ll probably give it a spin through my blu-ray player this weekend (or, at least, the first disc). It might difficult for you to track this particular SACD down for a decent price (not that the price I paid was that great --- $38 + shipping). Great little anecdote you shared. Funny how things wind up being so coincidental.

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  15. AxiomAcoustics

OK, James Brown cum Jazz trivia time then. Where did the repeated two-note horn part in "Cold Sweat" come from?

bluejimbop and Soulpope like this.
  16. Mirror Image

I can’t really say as I’m feeling kind of blue at the moment. ;)

bluejimbop likes this.
  17. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

IIRC they're all on the most recent Congliptious CD expanded re-issue.

lschwart likes this.
  18. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

19. AxiomAcoustics

That's a price I'd pay, consiodering that most single-disc JSACD's sold by the usual suspects (MD, AS, ED) run $50-60. From whence did you purloin said deal?

20. AxiomAcoustics

Eh, So What.

;):thumbsup:

21. Mirror Image

I bought it from a seller in Japan off of Discogs. You might want to try there or eBay. I’m pretty sure it’s OOP.

Here you go:

Pat Metheny Group - Travels

22. AxiomAcoustics

I'll give it a try, I just happen to have a $10 coupon for the bay.

23. Mirror Image

Good luck. On eBay, all I’ve seen are copies for $80 and up.

24. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Joseph Jarman listening tonight. Song For followed by the AEC's Phase One

[​IMG]

25. Theloneliest Monk

Theloneliest Monk Forum Resident

You must not get out to da clubs too often because, at every one I’ve ever been to, murder kills.