Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

What do you mean “get away with it?” No one is forced to buy their product.

They are a business, not a charity.

2. I mean exclusively in the business sense. For a high volume business, losing $100+ orders because you want to nickel and dime on shipping is a good way to go out of business quick.

Again, the profit lost outweighs the cash they would have ate. Because they are low volume and will sell all their stock, they can get away with that. But even still, due to the time value of money, I’d wager this is a bad decision.

3. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

I understand, but you really have no idea how many orders they are losing. I don’t either. They are cutting 1000 copies of each LP. These will likely sell out like the majority of the original series. I don’t see how they are losing anything. The time value of money is immaterial given the level of short term interest rates.

Even if they are making an extra $2 per order I can’t believe a lot of people would not order these exclusive items because of it.

4. Which is what I said. I haven’t done the analysis and cannot speak for sure. But I can’t imagine I’m the only one that has been put off by this and not ordered.

And the time value of money is much more than interest rates. Or should be. If the endeavors you invest your cash in only returns standard interest rates, you aren’t very good at business

5. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

"He's just not very creative or musical."

You think that's just an opinion on playing? Maybe it is, but it I don't know man. There's gotta be better ways to state things or get points across. No harm, no foul. All good.

recstar24, NorthNY Mark and mikeyt like this.
  6. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

Broadmoor. Ward 5.

7. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

All these LPs will be sold within a matter of a couple months. There is no time value of money component.

And, when the stock gets low MMJ has historically increased their prices so if you wait you either lose or pay more.

You also don’t know what metric they are trying to optimize. It may not just be the bottom line.

8. You’re killing me man. I already said it is likely not a big deal for them due to them jacking up their prices etc. What exactly are you arguing?

And even if it is months, that’s immaterial? Why do you think huge corporations still pay by check? Because the DAYS those checks take to clear end up being a huge boost to their bottom line (among other reasons).

In business all this matters and for you to say it’s immaterial just because you say so is not an argument. Companies spend thousands upon thousands of dollars trying to figure out where people fall out of their purchase flow and how to increase completion rates. Maybe they have done the analysis, maybe not. But I would bet no.

There’s a reason virtually no other online retailer does this.

9. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

There are other online retailers that don’t even offer media mail. You end up spending a lot more for shipping.

10. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I love Tony Williams. I can't state that enough. One of a kind. A visionary. Changed the game. A prodigy. I can't find enough positive words for him. However, let's take a step back. Who did Tony Williams idolize? The answer is there if you listen close enough. Max Roach knows ==> Max Roach Remembers Tony Williams - JazzTimes

I think Max and most of all Tony know a thing or two. ;)

As an aside, here are 3 of the finest in the game looking dapper in Nagoya, Japan.

[​IMG]

drkNRG, MRT, Satchidananda and 12 others like this.
  11. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

You do realize that you are paying for shipping either way, right?
    They aren't eating the costs themselves. They are breaking it down and adding it across their pricing schedule.

12. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I can't believe there's an argument happening about Art Blakey's skills.

13. How so? I can order $90 of MM titles through Acoustic Sounds and get free shipping. And they are sold at the same price.

Hell, some, like Our Man in Paris, is cheaper through AS than MM!

14. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Did he have musical or creative skills? :winkgrin:

15. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

+1 for Joe Chambers

16. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

And it would be sold at a cheaper price if they were not forced to offer free shiping. The Consumer pays the costs. One way or another.

17. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Again, does anyone have anything to say regarding my question regarding whether the mono or stereo presentation of Lou Donaldson's Blues Walk is better?

bluejimbop likes this.
  18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Cervelo, PauGasmall and recstar24 like this.
  19. And with MM you pay for it twice over(or more). Is that what you’re saying?

I could order 3 copies shipped of our man in Paris from AS right now for $10 less than it would cost for 2 copies from MM.

Look, if AS could get away with charging the same prices they do and $10+ shipping for orders less than $200, don’t you think they would? Or is it possible, as they got larger, they found that was a bad strategy to maximize orders?

20. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

I can't comment specifically since I have not heard either one yet (I have the mono SRX coming) but I do recall reading somewhere that the stereo mix is one of those with the horn on one side and bass/drums on the other - I don't know if this is true but if yes, it would not be to everyone's liking.

21. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Well, one possibility:
    Acoustic Sounds could be sitting on leftovers of their original order while MM is selling a second pressing.
    Production costs are not fixed.

At release, their pricing was the same (and since MM ships lower volumes they are likely paying more to provide that same service).

22. Good Vibes

Good Vibes Forum Resident

Amen!

btf1980, Cervelo and recstar24 like this.
  23. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I'll be sure to consult you for pre-approval before I post my opinions going forward.

24. A second run would result in a lower landed cost per item, as the fixed costs of producing the stampers is, well, fixed. No additional licensing, mastering, cutting, designing, etc. They are taking advantage of the market and the space in which they operate, IMHO, and in the long run the companies I’ve seen do that change their ways or fail.

Let me clarify that I love their products and own a handful of releases myself. I just purchased them elsewhere. Probably why MM stopped wholesaling, to force people to buy direct once they were an established brand.

I’m done arguing about this as I have derailed the thread long enough. I did enjoy the debate :tiphat:

Anyways, I too am really interested in an AP 45 vs MM SRX blues walk comparison. Mostly for stereo vs mono like J above, but further details would be nice too!

AnalogJ and Guitarded like this.
  25. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

None of those things have an effect on what the plant is charging to run 500-1000 copies. Same with the printing costs for the sleeves.

And it is a rare thing indeed to find out that costs went down over an 18 month to 2 year span. Not even accounting for the increased production times due to demand.

Just pointing out that although they are the same record, they mght not be the same product run and thus might have a different priduction cost.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.