What artist gets the shortest shrift on this forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYSPORTSFAN

NYSPORTSFAN Forum Resident

I really don't believe that because it's not what many of the forum grew up with? It's not an active dislike for Hip-Hop Music.

However, this forum is mostly a classic rock based forum correct? If you go to a hip-hop music forum you wouldn't expect much conversation of classic rock music of the 1960's and 1970's.

You go to progressive rock forum you really don't hear much discussion regarding The Rolling Stones or The Velvet Underground.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Golden Richards likes this.
  2. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Not really.

I think this is actually more of music forum with the focus being on sonics and mastering instead of a specific genre. There is a pretty wide spectrum of discussion and I don't really know how it could be called a classic rock forum, or compared to a prog rock forum or a hip-hop forum in its exclusivity.

Checking the music corner frontpage would also reveal this not to be true - while the standard threads about Macca's new album and The Beatles are always there, you also have some Bowie threads, plenty of Prince, Jazz and Conversation, Classical Music, etc. No forum is going to be completely void of a bent towards a specific era (obviously the 60s-70s dominate on here), but I wouldn't dub it a classic rock forum at all.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    danasgoodstuff likes this.
  3. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

seals and crofts or is it croft...

4. NYSPORTSFAN

NYSPORTSFAN Forum Resident

I think the forum is slanted towards the 60's-70's which is what I kind of said. So we agree on that point at least. However, I am not that familiar with hip-hop music other than being familiar with some of the recording techniques used in modern pop music.

5. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Whose didn't?
    (And I don't even have a sister...)

starduster likes this.
  6. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

John McCormack

7. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Taylor Swift

8. The Desperate Bicycles don't seem to get much love around here.

ralphb likes this.
  9. Anybody but The Beatles.

10. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

use to be Lady Gaga but...at least, people acknowledge she has some assemblance of talent now ;)
    it may not be much but compare to few years ago...we've come a LONG way :winkgrin:

[​IMG]

Mylene likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It was a bonding moment with a good friend when we discovered that we both knew all the words, for the exact same reason.

12. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

Bertie Higgins :hide:

Nick G likes this.
  13. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

In my case, it was a cousin, rather than a sister.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  14. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

my mom had the 8-track .....I eventually bought the album and 'music' pretty unbeatable 1-2 punch.....my spiritual sister, or cool aunt :righton:

15. In my opinion, what's needed to improve that situation is some SHMF hip-hop fans who are up for expounding on the history, and the attributes of the music and the artists that distinguish them and account for their unique contributions and advances, and so forth. The hallmarks of what makes something a stellar track. What to listen for. In my case, especially the new hip-hop, with the staccato phrasing. I readily admit, much of it is too fast for me- I can't make out most of the words on first listen. (Not a special problem for me with hip-hop tracks I've heard from the eras prior to around 2o10 or so, fwiw.) That makes it basically inaccessible to me. Are the fans really so attuned to the verbal performance that they're catching all of the lyrics on the first take, or is repeated listening to figure them out an expected part of the journey? Is that a listening ability that gets acquired with practice and familiarity? Or is looking up the words of the new releases on-line now an expected part of the experience, even for committed hip-hop lovers?

As I'm currently lacking the ability to enter into the narrative flow and follow the lyrics, most of the new rapping merely sounds like an exercise in verbal percussion to me- and not an especially compelling one, either.

I'm requesting some help, here, of the sort that gets supplied in discussions of rock bands and old pop records and the work of jazz musicians. Critical assessments that begin and end with opinions like "this track is slammin'" don't provide much in the way of detailed information or clues- with a style of music I'm not familiar with, I want to know the when where how and why of what separates the treasures from the trash. The specific artistic values and technical points that provide the basis for making those decisions.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    NYSPORTSFAN likes this.
  16. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Billy Ocean.

Jarleboy, Osato and bob60 like this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

After I surveyed the audience at the 3 Vegas shows I saw a couple weeks back, I realized Gaga has truly "gone mainstream".

That probably sounds silly, as she's been a huge pop star for 10 years, but the difference is that she has a much broader audience now.

I first saw Gaga live in 2010, when I was 43. I stood out like a sore thumb at those shows - the crowds skewed heavily toward people in their teens and 20s, so I didn't fit in at all.

In Vegas, I was still an anomaly, but not nearly as much. Plenty of "old folks" at those shows.

Some of that is the "Vegas factor", as I suspect the residency shows will skew more toward tourists and less toward "serious Gaga fans", but still - it's a pretty major change.

If Gaga had done a residency in Vegas circa 2011, I don't think the crowd would've leaned nearly as middle-aged as it did. She's become safe for the elderly like me! :D

18. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Blowfly :p

Dodoz likes this.
  19. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

non-English speaking musicians

Jarleboy, Dodoz and starduster like this.
  20. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

It’s cooler to say they suck because it’s true.

21. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

She had to diversify after Artpop(/flop) and she did. I wouldn't really call her a massive pop star right now, but she's definitely reclaimed a lot of ground as an overall entertainer. I think she's left the electro-pop dance music that defined her first few albums up to and including Artpop in the past. I wish her the best because she seems to be in a better place now, but there were some rather large forced career mistakes from 2011-2014.

22. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

23. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Artpop got ruined because of the R. Kelly duet.

24. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Mark Lanegan.

25. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

non pop and rock artists

starduster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.