Artists That Suffered From Van Gogh Syndrome

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bvb1123, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollinHard843

RollinHard843 Forum Resident

I noticed an interest in Joy Division that blew up in the mid of 2000s, but i dont know how it compares to their original popularity.

negative1 and bvb1123 like this.
  2. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian Thread Starter

I thought about The Monkees but in the end i think they kind of got the best of both worlds: popular and rich pop group in the 60s then after reconsidering by the critics they're now seen as the innovators they were.

starduster and mbleicher1 like this.
  3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

In the 70s they were hated. It's like ABBA ... everyone forgets the dark days.

bvb1123 likes this.
  4. bvb1123

Joy Division would have been big had their lead singer not killed himself on the eve of their US tour. Even without him the because pretty popular as New Order.

negative1 and ralphb like this.
  5. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

T. Rex are more popular now than they ever were. Except in the R&RHoF where they don't exist.

jon9091 and bvb1123 like this.
  6. bvb1123

In the states, definitely. But they were HUGE for about 3 years in the UK.

Man at C&A and DJ LX like this.
  7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Electric Warrior and The Slider have never been out of print in the USA. You can't say that about other one hit wonders.

Man at C&A and bvb1123 like this.
  8. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Also...she was dead for a few years and nobody realized it.....

Sandinista and bvb1123 like this.
  9. bvb1123

That's true. I've been a big T. Rex fan since I was about 15. Such a great band.

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Love?

majoyenrac and bvb1123 like this.
  11. bvb1123

I'm on the fence about Love. They were huge in LA and the fact that Arthur Lee didn't want to travel to tour was probably the biggest reason they weren't a larger force in rock music.

ralphb and NorthNY Mark like this.
  12. Ricardo Perfecto

Ricardo Perfecto Forum Resident

T Rex were the biggest act in the UK for a year or Two. Ditto Monkees in US. gainsbourg was possibly the second biggest music star on France behind Halliday for a long time, and a massively admired/copied/influential figure for decades. MOST big music stars never make it other territories, especially those from non-English territories.

Monk was widely recognised as an architect of the new jazz from the turn of the fifties at Keast, in demand, and well-reviewed. He made the cover of Time Magazine! For jazz there are dozens of good answers but he’s not one.

Some of these answers are a stretch, to be polite. Even in Serge’s case he had a huge Uk hit with Je Taime.

I think people need to think more closely about Van Gogh’s actual circumstances. Drake and Sill are the best answers so far from those artists I’m familiar with.

13. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Until his reggae album Serge was seen as a bit of a joke in France. Before 1979 he was seen as a guy who was always making a fool of himself on television rather than some sort of genius. The NME Book of Rock had him as a footnote in the entry for Jane Birkin. Remember between 1963 (Percussions) and 1971 (Melody Nelson) he didn't release one album of new music under his own name.

Man at C&A and bvb1123 like this.
  14. bvb1123

I agree. I was thinking more of people who went broke and unknown for their most creative periods and were only recognized as major talents either decades later or after their death.

majoyenrac likes this.
  15. bvb1123

I know nothing about him except his name and, if I'm thinking of the right guy, he sang a sexy love song duet with his underage daughter.

Mylene likes this.
  16. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

Yoko Ono? I mean she doesn’t have ‘Van Gogh’ type praise but I think significantly more folks appreciate her than they did then....

In singular album terms: Mccartney’s Ram counts...

Jmac1979 and bvb1123 like this.
  17. bvb1123

Yoko, it's hard to calculate exactly how she would be perceived now had she not met up with John. She was like an anti-artist so I'm sure she would have received some acclaim but not what she gets now.

And Ram, although not beloved upon release, was still a giant commercial, if not critical success.

majoyenrac likes this.
  18. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I know this doesn't fit 100% (or even less), but as an American fan, I never expected Queen to become the biggest legacy rock act beloved by millions only behind the Beatles. Mercury is as iconic as Liz Taylor or something now.

I mean, they were big in other parts of the world. But the US caught up and I'd wager more people like Queen than the Stones at this point.

Jmac1979, Man at C&A and bvb1123 like this.
  19. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

You'd think so, but no - players who should've know better dissed him in print til the early '60s.

bvb1123 likes this.
  20. berliszt

berliszt Well-Known Member

Schoenberg, Webern, Ives, Liszt.

21. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

Good points. For Yoko though Lennon was king of the rock world when they got together and she was despised (still is by many). When Onobox came out it was routinely laughed at by many except a few critics....but alternative artists dug her, Sonic Youth continually praised her and then the tribute/remix albums really garnered her more praise (Yes I’m a witch/too). Good points and I see your angle but I still think she counts.

Ram though you sold me...it was too successful to count. Gimme The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society in its stead :)

Dave Hoos and bvb1123 like this.
  22. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

he did released three albums with jane and bb during that stretch, plus soundtracks, acted in films, directed several films, had a hit record with je'taime.....the press jumped on his L'Enfant Terrible reputation but the french public definitely appreciated his work....I don't know what the critics thought of his music, would be interesting to read a review for bonnie and clyde from that era, if they appreciated it then

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    willy and bvb1123 like this.
  23. bvb1123

Yeah Village Green definitely qualifies for sure.

Dave Hoos and majoyenrac like this.
  24. bvb1123

Oh, I wasn't saying that Yoko shouldn't count because on most levels she does. Very misunderstood artist. Intensely disliked. But starting around 79 and the B-52's were sounding a lot like her. The only way she doesn't count is that she was never short of food or ready cash on hand.

majoyenrac likes this.
  25. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Looking at the title of the thread I was thinking, "I don't know any musicians who've lopped off an ear.".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.