Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I'm sorry but I can't imagine having an interest in any artist home no matter how much I love their music but all well and good for those who do find value in it.

2. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Very much looking forward to the arrival of mine.

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

You'll dig it! Though the Blu-Spec CD2 is just about as good, nice to have them both.

4. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Fine, but people have joked about death, even murder, ever since we figured out that each of us is going to die, someday. There are reasons for that.

Of course I don't mean to say that I'm jolly happy that Lee Morgan was killed, but it is fair to say that he took advantage of his wife, cheated on her, flaunted it in a way that she found humiliating, and finally scorned her when confronted with his behavior, and, well, hell hath no fury, as they say. I am making light of the fact that he kind of had a hand in his own demise. It seems to me that he was ungrateful to Helen, at best, thoughtless, and even cruel. I could've just come out and said so in plain language, but I'd prefer to find some humor in it--partly because it was a real tragedy. After nearly 47 years, is it fair to make a documentary about this, but not to joke about it? I don't think so.

5. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

The Art Ensemble of Chicago: Non-Cognitive Aspects Of The City

Roscoe Mitchell: soprano saxophone, alto saxophone,
    tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone, clarinet, flute, percussion
    Joseph Jarman: soprano saxophone, alto saxophone,
    tenor saxophone, clarinet, flute, percussion
    Famoudou Don Moye: drums, percussion
    Corey Wilkes: trumpet, pocket trumpet, flugelhorn
    Jaribu Shahid: bass, electric bass

Two beautifully expansive sets of comprovisation recorded live at the Iridium Jazz Club on April 2 & 3, 2004 and, at this point, the last of the groundbreaking ensembles recordings despite their continued existence. What a joy it must have been to experience this music up close and personal in a space with the intimacy of the Iridium; a place where I’ve caught artists as diverse as Les Paul and Anthony Braxton.

This iteration included two relative newcomers in Corey Wilkes and Jaribu Shahid, sitting in for the erstwhile stalwarts Lester Bowie and Malachi Favors while they’re on hiatus with the Cosmic Infinity Ensemble. Neither are new to this scene though with Shahid having worked with the likes of Geri Allen, James Carter, David Murry and Roscoe Mitchell in his projects as a leader and Wilkes, also working with Mitchell, Von Freeman and Greg Osby. Wilkes really impresses with his heated and articulate blowing. He doesn’t display the levity of Bowie but his aesthetic and musicianship fit perfectly with the AEC’s thing.

The two sets develop organically as one continuous suite of music as only the AEC can conjure, from funky Afro-Bop hip shakers to all-in Joujouka-like spirituals to free-improvisation that’s always firmly planted in the fertile earth. Griots of the highest order. Respect.

This music comes
    Comes to you
    With love

This music is
    Is the sound
    Of Life

This music comes
    Comes from us
    To You

This is the sound
    Is the sound
    Of Joy

Music music
    Great Black music
    All around us
    And will never
    Forget you.....

“Odwalla”: A closing coda to their sets similar to Miles’ use of “The Theme” but with vocals by Joseph Jarman.

As the saying goes: The crux of the biscuit is the AEC.

[​IMG]

xybert, hyde park, lschwart and 9 others like this.
  6. AxiomAcoustics

Speaking of Jarman....looks to be an AEC evening. :thumbsup:

lschwart likes this.
  7. AxiomAcoustics

I'll ck Discogs but I hate their interface that forces me to pick all the boxes with a school bus or traffic light or some ridiculous crap every page or listing I go to, can't do it. Yes, I can choose the "audio" option but that is horrible as well and is just a big PITA. They are NOT very ADA compliant.

FWIW Acoustic Sounds has three of Metheny's single SACD's....for $60 per :crazy: The new ECM vinyl is $35 but I've got one on the other side of the country so hate to rebuy, especially a digital cut.

Mirror Image likes this.
  8. AxiomAcoustics

Oh man, I had no idea when I put on the AEC and mentioned him in my post above :cry: Suddenmly his words in Odwalla are even more meaningful. RIP Good Man.

lschwart likes this.
  9. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I have not had the opportunity to visit a famous musicians home, but I have visited the Motown Museum, which is an amazing tour, and you get to stand in the studio where all the great music was recorded.

[​IMG]

10. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Kamasi Washington "Harmony of Difference"
    Strange and beautiful music.
    [​IMG]

11. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I have the house to myself tonight so I've been playing things. Just finished listening to this Lee Morgan. I really like the song selection. Very cool tunes that I hadn't heard besides the Harper tunes

For me some of the soloing was a little languid here and there, especially for the usual fireworks on Morgan's albums. I thought that Mabern and Workman kept it 100 throughout the record, and that croquet ballet had the best playing from everyone.

I have not heard many of Morgan's later dates and would like to fix that :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    bluejimbop, Yesternow and Marzz like this.
  12. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

13. AxiomAcoustics

Ornette Coleman Trio: Town Hall 1962

Ornette Coleman — alto saxophone
    David Izenzon — double bass
    Charles Moffett — drums
    Selwart Clarke, Nathan Goldstein — violin (track 3 only)
    Julian Barber — viola (track 3 only)
    Kermit Moore — cello (track 3 only)

Recorded December 21, 1962 at Town Hall and released on the ESP label this concert features the first recordings of Coleman's new trio after the dissolution of his great "Atlantic" ensemble and predates the more widely known "Golden Circle" dates released on Blue Note by almost exactly three years. This was one hot trio and Izenzon was a master of the bass, in both pizzicato and arco playing. If you dig those Golden Circle dates, definitely check this out. It's a bigger, more reverberant space, well reflected in the recording, which sounds surprisingly good. It sounds honest, what more can one ask? Coleman's writing for strings is on display on one track "Dedicated To Poets And Writers" (don't be afraid)) and is followed by a set-closing 24' reading of "The Ark". Solid.

[​IMG]

14. AxiomAcoustics

You guys, it's always about the front-line!
    ;)

Where would we be without the engine room? Time to give the drummer some!

One of my favorite BN's of the period and a marvel of ensemble playing with the unsung hero of this session (and too few other Blue Notes) being drummer Roger Humphries. His technique is nonpareil with amazing stick articulation, combining the accuracy, speed and taste of Alan Dawson with the inventiveness of Joe Chambers while wielding a much more controlled fury than Blakey. He spends much of this album with the snares thrown off, creating a fuller, more resonant drum "orchestra" that lends these tunes the feel of the islands while still being grounded deeply in Jazz swing, all without the need of an added percussionist. Listen to the way he navigates his way around the kit. Amazing performance, and this mastering does him justice. One of RVG's better recordings IMO. Grab the AW XRCD ASAP. (So many acronyms tonioght.)

Give it another listen, but this time, listen from the bottom up.

15. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    (Nothing else to add :))

16. Mugrug12

I thought I misread and erased it.

Anyway I agree w you completely and have said before that the drummer is the leader of the band, no matter who's name is the biggest on the cover! They create the space that everyone acts in. And I think jazz drumming is the highest, almost mystical art.

Speaking of which, just played miles Workin'. Is there any more iconic drum intro than in "four"? Like a steam train marching...

[​IMG]

17. AxiomAcoustics

Shall I add it to my (V)einberg order? After all, I did quote Zappa earlier, in case you missed it.
    :)

Marzz likes this.
  18. AxiomAcoustics

Have you been listening to the Dead this evening? Quotes from both "Ramble On Rose" AND "He's Gone"? :shh:

And I grok your action, I deleted as well.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  19. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

This is one of my faves by him in no small part because it signals his return from the Americana deep end. Before that was his stomp box deep end. As he has matured, he has integrated all of his many influences and interests into what is just Frisell Music.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  20. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

The 45 single of Roads of Otumpa has been spinning on repeat a few times now. Afro-beat meets funk meets post-bop sonic impressionism. I've been enchanted.
    [​IMG]

21. Mugrug12

Not tonight. But I have marched up and down, the local county line :)

Crispy Rob and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  22. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Yes! this won't hurt your pocket either - copies should be cheap. For me, the 5 Pieces is the the "crown" here. My favourite Serenade remains the earlier 1960s recording, again with Boulez.

Oh, you probably have this, but just in case it's included here - and this set is mandatory in my completely biased opinion :cool: (I've seen cheaper copies out there though)
    https://www.amazon.com/Domaine-Musi...-1&keywords=boulez+le+domaine+musical+box+set

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  23. AxiomAcoustics

Excellent, on the list. Always up for a DG boxed set :thumbsup:

Marzz likes this.
  24. AxiomAcoustics

Great album for sure. Everytime I see the cover I see a classic RCA ribbon mic, which is not all that far fetched. Well, sans hat of course.

[​IMG]

Marzz and bluejimbop like this.
  25. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

My favorite of Wayne’s Blue Note albums.