Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Miles seemed to think he did:

"With Art on drums you couldn't be ****ing around; you had to get on up and play."

"[Walkin'] was a mother****er, man, with Horace laying down that funky piano of his and Art playing them bad rhythms behind us on the drums. It was something else."

But see, "In the summer of 1954 I went into the studio again for Prestige, this time with Sonny, Horace, Percy, and Klook [Kenny Clarke] on drums. I had decided that for the sound I wanted at the time, Klook gave me that dimension over Art Blakey; he was more subtle than Art. I don't mean to say that he was a better drummer than Art, but that his style of playing was what I wanted at that time."

2. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I really want to give you an answer! But my order won't be here until Thursday or so, next week.

3. Gabe Walters

I would choose mono for Blues Walk because it was recorded simultaneously to full-track and to two-track tape during RVG's so-called "experimental stereo" period--with only the piano in the phantom center channel on the stereo tape and the bass to the right with the drums, the horns on the left. See Blue Note Records: A Collector’s Guide to Mono & Stereo and How They Heard It – Blue Note Records and the Transition from Mono to Stereo

DeRosa and AnalogJ like this.
  4. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

The congas are in the left channel with the sax so you get a pretty good soundstage. It is probably better in mono but this isn’t an annoying listen in stereo.

AnalogJ likes this.
  5. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

not trying to get everyone all riled up, but not insured, single lp, and the single lp shipper looks standard to me (like an Amazon lp shipper/ rip open type)...Just sayin..$9.95

Guitarded likes this.
  6. Gabe Walters

People, don't buy these if they bother you so much.

7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Yes! Seriously, it’s ok if you are so offended by these “vinyls” that you don’t want to purchase them. I assure you, MM is ok.

8. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Philly Joe was in the loo.

btf1980 and Fender Relic like this.
  9. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Blakey was a brilliant musician, drummer and bandleader. That shouldn't even be in dispute. He was also one of the great masters of polyrhythms, and that is no small feat of accomplishment: it requires great musicianship.

10. bluejimbop

Imagine how many people would be put off of this thread if it were titled “Listening to Jazz and Conversation about micro-economics”

11. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Yeah, but wouldn't it devolve to posting just pictures of album covers and nothing else?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    bluejimbop and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  12. :biglaugh:

bluejimbop likes this.
  13. Theloneliest Monk

Theloneliest Monk Forum Resident

I’ve only been posting there for a month or so, but have lurked there for quite a while longer... there seems to be very little posting of just album covers. I do wish there were more album covers in this particular thread though.

drkNRG, Cervelo, Dan Steele and 2 others like this.
  14. bluejimbop

I’m averse to conflict.

15. Cardboard Cowboy

Cardboard Cowboy Forum Resident

Seriously! I started reading this thread for some reason and it seems to waffle between people either feeling butt hurt that Music Matters charges so much for this and that or feeling butt hurt that the others are feeling butt hurt about Music Matters charging so much. Some album covers would be a welcome addition.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  16. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

If you purchase lps in lots of four, free shipping. If you hate paying shipping, do that. That is what I did.

These records are not Blue Note 75th Anniversary releases. We all know what that $20 a pop got you. You were actually better off in most cases buying from Discogs or eBay a VG++ or NM- release of the same 75th record. It was a better pressing.

Music Matters has taken the care and time to put together a super premium product. Top drawer, high class, the best from master tape with unparalleled covers. This is a labor of love. If you have a super system, every penny you spend on these records is worth it, including paying for the best shipping container made for records. Why are we quibbling about a few extra bucks here to have it delivered safely to our homes? For this product that is the price of entry. And when these releases get scarce, $100 a pop, and it will be cheap, an outright steal, compared to a mint original issue of most of these.

But hey, I get it, Amazon Prime has screwed up our world.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    drkNRG, Ryan_Pretzel, timzigs and 7 others like this.
  17. Jazzphile32

Jazzphile32 Forum Resident

If you're looking for MM quality pressings with a cheaper price point/shipping, you can pre-order both the Tone Poet LP's off Amazon right now for about the price of one SRX pressing shipped.

These pressings check most of the same boxes - AAA, 180g, gatefold, RTI, Kevin Gray/Joe Harley.

mcenters, Fritz G23, btf1980 and 11 others like this.
  18. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

Looks like Direct Audio still has stock. Really good group of guys run that shop. I always buy from them at my local record shows.

Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny Numbered Limited Edition 200g LP (Stereo)

invalidcharacters, Bryce and mikeyt like this.
  19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Kind of missing the point.

20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Okay, but to be historically fair and accurate, MM has both arbitrarily raised the price of individual records AND raised the threshold for free shipping. And that there's no competition, if you want their product, you have to agree to their shifting terms. They have a complete monopoly on the product. Some of us remember when Ma Bell was the only available game in town. You paid through the nose for every little call and service, and after the sale customer service was as bad or worse than it is now.

Admerr likes this.
  21. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

This is the part that’s disheartening as a loyal customer. Ive ordered multiple times in the past where the shipping was free and the threshold was 50% less than the current offering.

The only way they can truly justify the new $200 minimum is with even better shipping materials than before and a better carrier. I can only speak to the latter as I know they’re still using USPS.

It’s still funny to me that they’re shipping such a premium product through media mail in the first place.

22. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

My shipping cost is $52.80 ! That’s for 4 MM records from the new series. Looking forward to add some new titles to my AP/MM Blue Note collection!

scotti, RiRiIII and recstar24 like this.
  23. PauGasmall

PauGasmall Forum Resident

Audible scratch through the entire title track of my Adam's Apple SRX.... :realmad:

[​IMG]

24. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

That sucks. Scratch is pretty obvious just from the picture. Hopefully you have no problem getting a replacement disc.

bluejimbop and PauGasmall like this.
  25. fldveloce

fldveloce the moon was a drip on a dark hood

C'mon Jeff, that's revisionist and poorly focused.. I worked for the Bell System then and they had the highest quality products (communications and equipment) in the world at the lowest prices and they still had the obligation to wire in rural areas without direct compensation. Plus, "researchers working at Bell Labs are credited with the development [and sometimes invention] of radio astronomy, the transistor, the laser, the charge-coupled device (CCD), information theory, the Unix operating system, and the programming languages C, C++, and S. Nine Nobel Prizes have been awarded for work completed at Bell Laboratories." [further geek note: UNIX lives on as Linux, which (last time I looked at the details) in various forms and contexts runs more cell phones, public clouds, and web servers than any other operating system.]

I'm confident that Bell provided more value to society than measured by their phone billing rates, just as Music Matters' products have provided more value to jazz music lovers than measured by their shipping charges.

Fred

drkNRG, Joti Cover, G E and 8 others like this.