Led Zeppelin I on cassette

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galactus, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galactus

Galactus Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here's a curio that has really affected the way I listen to this album.

When I was at school in around 1987/88 one of my mates leant me the cassette of Led Zeppelin's first album. I instantly loved it and played it to death.

It was only years later when I bought the CD that I thought that it just didn't sound right.

That was because some cassettes of that album (and it seems to be those repressed in the UK and Europe in the 80s) had a different running order to the vinyl and CD.

Now, thanks to Discogs and Spotify I have been able to seek out that cassette running order, create a Spotify playlist and - bingo - the album sounds right again (to me). Just as I remembered it all those years ago.

I'm sure Led Zep purists will scoff. But that cassette is how I first heard the album as a teenager and I just can't listen to any other running order. Even if it wasn't what the band intended.

Here is a link the cassette in question, so you can see the changes.

But I guess the question is why? As the original cassettes mirrored the vinyl release (apart from sometimes switching the A and B sides). But these 80s re-releases actually shuffled the songs around.

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

2. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

Ha, that's a trip !
    Funny how we get imprinted one way or another .....

wrappedinsky, reb, Hammerpeg and 2 others like this.
  3. MikeM.

MikeM. Forum Resident

Same thing happened to me. Zep I on CD was a confusing listen after the cassette!

GoodKitty, Galactus and ODShowtime like this.
  4. Brian Hoffman

Brian Hoffman Obsessive fanatic extraordinaire

I had a similar experience when I picked up a Parlaphone copy of "Rubber Soul". Not just a different running order but different songs altogether! It was quite disorienting.

5. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

6. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

This happened to me with the second dB's album Repercussions. I bought a UK edition on Albion Records that had an alternate running order that started with "Happenstance." But it seems like the standard edition is the one that starts with "Living A Lie." No matter how I try to get with things, I still take to the one I bought as a teenager.

7. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

--
    Thanks for this memory shakedown. May have to redo them in iTunes, as these are how I remember them.

8. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

That's funny about LZ 1. I have a cassette copy in the car for years that I used to play a lot but not being a dedicated LZ fan I never noticed if the running order was different than on my vinyl copy. Or, is it?

Bluepicasso likes this.
  9. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Re Zeppelin II on cassette, it just doesn't feel right not having Living Loving Maid follow Heartbreaker.

10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

That really makes no sense....:confused:

rockclassics likes this.
  11. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

--
    I think this is the version I had: Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II

mschrist likes this.
  12. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

My '80s cassette of Led Zeppelin II ran like this:

Side A
    Whole Lotta Love
    What Is And What Should Never Be
    The Lemon Song
    Heartbreaker

Side B
    Thank You
    Living Loving Maid
    Ramble On
    Moby Dick
    Bring it on Home To Me

Dodoz, RK2249, kevinsponge and 3 others like this.
  13. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

There are many people who like The Beatles' US albums...No one will scoff about a different sequence of "Led Zeppelin I". :)

I wasn't aware of that, and funnily enough, I wanted to purchase it on cassette at some point (in 1990) but didn't have enough pocket money. I wonder if the french/german tape would have been different. I ended up with a cassette dub of the LP.

14. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

First thing I thought, too. "How could they break that up?!?" o_O

DJ LX likes this.
  15. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

You know, it’s not difficult to import a CD or do a needle drop of the record and change the track order. Then you could burn a new CD or whatever.

Just saying.

Dodoz likes this.
  16. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

My guess it that this was done to make sides A and B closer in length to lessen 'dead space' at the end of a side.

I originally had Axis: Bold as Love on cassette (purchased in the 80s as a teen) and the sequencing was different from the vinyl.

uzn007, Bowland and Galactus like this.
  17. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

I had heard somewhere--maybe on this board--that this was done to even up the length of the two sides, which saved tape and cut costs.

The topsy-turvy world of alternate cassette running orders fascinates me. My Led Zeppelin II was the same as @MikeP5877's, with "Thank You" at the beginning of side two.

Dodoz likes this.
  18. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Was similar with the 80s cassette of Yes' S/T. The sides were swapped.

kevinsponge likes this.
  19. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

My Zep 1 album has a skip in HMMT. It has been there since I got it in the early 80s. I can't listen to any version without anticipating that skip. Like the running order, you get things stuck in your head, so I can totally see how this works for the OP.

marka likes this.
  20. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I've never heard that, but on "Remasters" it felt totally odd already. "Ramble On" follows "Heartbreaker"...

21. cjefferys

cjefferys Forum Resident

That, and Your Time is Gonna Come and Black Mountain Side are separated by Babe I'm Gonna Leave You? How does that even work?

Dodoz, PhoffiFozz and FrixFrixFrix like this.
  22. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Papi Hipbone323 and Dodoz like this.
  23. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

So strange. My first copy of "Rumours" had the regular running order...

mschrist likes this.
  24. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Exactly.
    But try growing up with the 8-track -
    I had to endure a ‘pause’ in the middle of Ramble On! Oh the anticipation.....

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II

25. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

I second this. YTIGC and BMS have a significant cross fade. Are they both just cut to eliminate the overlap?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.