The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

But, you sill have your AMC Stubs A-List, right?

That would give you less options, but still three movies each week.

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

My wife has Stubs A*List and uses it LIKE A BOSS. But I spend most of my time at my other apartment in Kansas City, and I don't drive. So I get everywhere via bus, and the only AMC theater I can get to via bus stops before 7 PM.

If AMC still owned the Mainstreet Theater in downtown Kansas City, I would be there three times a week. But sadly, they moved their headquarters out of downtown Kansas City to one of the suburbs and sold the Mainstreet to Alamo Drafthouse. And while I love the Alamo's policy of throwing people who use cell phones during the movie out, I'm not a fan of the whole dine-in concept, they have the least comfortable seats of any theater in Kansas City coupled with the highest ticket price.

Instead, I go to the Cinemark Palace at the Plaza. It has comfortable seats, and an amazing ticket price of $5 during the day and afternoon, and $7.50 at night. And it's on a bus line that runs to late evening. Sadly, it looks like it will eventually be closed to build a Nordstrom.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

"An Elephant Standing Still" - 230 minute film by the Chinese writer / director Hu Bo, who took his own life after the film was completed ...

4. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Mary Queen Of Scotts (2018)

nightstand68 likes this.
  5. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Seeing that one Saturday night!

Dr. Funk likes this.
  6. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

About to see Keanu Reeves in Replicas in a $5 movie theater. I hear that’s all it’s worth but I do enjoy Keanu for some reason even in guilty pleasure films like Point Break.

neo123 likes this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

My wife saw it last night and thought it was dumb. She's far too nice to say so, so here's what she Tweeted:

Well, ok, I do like Keanu. I liked Thomas Middleditch. I like the near-future (if improbable) science as opposed to being supernatural. I like to support theaters that play non-blockbusters. I like that it was filmed in Puerto Rico to help their economy.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

Boy Erased. Dosed off a couple of times, couldn't tell you a thing about it.

9. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I believe it was the RiffTrax live of KRULL.

10. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I saw it today and thought it was not bad. Sure, you have to leave brain at the door and overlook the technobabble nonsense, especially if you are a science person. But it still does have some nice visuals and explores some of the morality issues and consequences of human cloning.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Really? I saw it in the theater I thought it featured really good performances by all the leads, and acknowledged that everybody involved thought they were doing the right thing.

12. Chris DeVoe

She's off seeing another obscure film, that's only playing at one theater in Chicago. When she called me she was the only person in the theater - Anthem of a Teenage Prophet.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  13. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

Lincoln in 2012.

[​IMG]

14. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I haven't been to the theater since I saw the newest turd in the Halloween franchise. Before that it was Solo. I really don't go to the movies anymore due to my hatred of humanity.

nightstand68 and SandAndGlass like this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

Maybe you've mixed cause and effect, and a few really good films might make you less misanthropic.

Osato and Gramps Tom like this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

Please check the original post. I really, really don't want this one to be about why you're not going to see a film in the theater anymore. Please, let's have just this one thread for those of us who enjoy seeing films in the theater. Thank you.

Besides, as has been covered several times in this thread, there are inexpensive ways of going to see movies in the theater. My wife is a member of AMC Stubs A*List which lets her see three films per week in any AMC theater (including the very most expensive dine-in, IMAX and Dolby Digital ones) for less than $20 a month, which is a price comprable to many streaming services, and a heck of a lot cheaper than a cable subscription.

17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

My apologies. I'll butt out now.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Saw it last night. Been in love with Saoirse Ronan since Hanna as a screamingly talented actress. She's like Evan Rachel Wood 2.0.

Dr. Funk and Chris DeVoe like this.
  19. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Vice (2018)
    Very clever script. Christian Bale is my favorite contemporary actor, and his transformation in this film was astounding. Kudos to the makeup department.
    Cool that Naomi Watts was uncredited as the TV news anchor.

brownie61 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

Well, hopefully you'll be inspired to see a film in the theater. As I said before, the 30 ft wide screen in a good theater really exceeds any home theater, unless we're talking about one belonging to somebody like Jeff Bezos.

21. Chris DeVoe

She was amazing in Hannah, one of the best performances by a child I've ever seen.

22. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Saw The Upside yesterday. I thought it was very good. Sort of like the reverse of Green Book. Too bad it's surrounded in controversy, as Cranston and Hart are both perfect in their roles.

23. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

What’s the controversy? I haven’t heard. The trailer looks good.

24. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Some people feel the part of the paraplegic should have gone to a disabled actor instead of Cranston. That plus Kevin Hart's troubles unrelated to this movie (being uninvited to host the Oscars).

25. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

Watched The Miseducation of Cameron Post today and thought it disappointingly the same as Boy Erased. Rather boring, no conflict, unsure timeline.