Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Unfortunately, for reasons I can't remember now, the stereo tapes of the '71 BBC sessions were not used. Anyway, I'm satisfied with the mastering, and, since you are familiar with the material, you already know that the performance itself is top-notch.
    In general, the mastering is on the bright side, I agree. In some cases, it's fine, and in others, it's too much (Obscured by Clouds remix)

Psychedelic Good Trip and Jam757 like this.
  2. Perhaps MONO Saucer to be released in 2019 (50th anniversary)? - If not then certainly 2029 for the 60th. - If not by then certainly 2039 for … and so on ...

bobloblaw likes this.
  3. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Wasn't 2018 the 50th anniversary?

4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Yup

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Not for the prime live 1974 material. It goes from a 6.5 to a 8.9 in quality with the tapes they have to work with and the careful mixing done.

6. Pink Floyd move glacially. :laugh:

Bink likes this.
  7. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Isn’t that just one track on the box? Echoes? The rest of the 74 live is on the DSOTM and WYWH boxes.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You are correct, I got my boxes mixed up. Thank you.

9. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

No problem. I agree, the live 74 show is a nice upgrade. Silly that they spread it over 3 boxes. That would have sold nicely as a stand-alone set.

10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Possibly they just forgot that Saucerful was also released in mono back then.
    There's a Nick Mason interview related to the Saucerful album where he misremembers the first two albums being produced and released in only one version each: Piper in mono and Saucerful in stereo.^^

11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

A vinyl release of the full concert would be a great opportunity.

12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Rumours say the stereo tape of the '71 BBC concert was wiped shortly after a re-edited copy was done for an American radio station, it's the one with the annoying interrupter.

13. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Don’t care about vinyl, but absolutely an easy sell.

14. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

More random questions. How is the Live In Pompeii CD? I read mixed reviews on it but this is one item that definitely interests me. I wish each of the separate releases had stand alone threads.

15. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Also, anyone care to rate each individual package with pros cons and general opinions? That would be fun to read all in one place.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  16. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Seems to be a consensus that the Pompeii mix is very bright. It does, unlike previous video releases, run at the correct speed. No Mademoiselle Nobs, and Echoes is a single piece.

17. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks, I guess the main appeal is that it’s never been on CD. I’ve read that others still enjoyed it. Unfortunate that they seemed to go overly bright on a lot of this mastering. Honestly I have no interest at all in any of the “remastered” material which I already own in multiple formats.

18. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

For me i can live with the brightness of it but wich i dont like is the absense of mademoiselle knobs and the echoes put toghether. Echoes in two parts unify the things more. Also i miss the heartbeat that was in the begining of the movie.
    Now a plus is a new part in the begining of saucerful and a alternativa take of careful.
    Overall Im quite pleased having this finally since Pompeii is one of my favorite Floyd things.

Jam757 likes this.
  19. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Maybe Echoes was one performance originally and split in two parts for the original movie?
    Any info on the alternative Careful - when and where and why it was recorded?

JulesRules likes this.
  20. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

The stereo version of the 1971 concert does exist on tape at the BBC, they just didn't look in the right place, or know who to ask and ended up with the Mono version.
    It wasn't done "for an American radio station"...it was sold by the BBC as a Transcription disc with broadcasting rights to any Radio station outside the UK.
    Any interruptions at the point of broadcast were `local' !
    Pink Floyd - Stereo Pop Special-3

21. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

I havent run the first 2 volumes.
    1972: the main thing for me here is Pompeii, just for that is worth it.
    1971: the CD is the main feature. I dont really worry about the mono bbc. This like Pompeii should have been released many time ago.
    1970: Best of the boxes. From begining to end all of it is great and highly recommendable, CDs and DVDs. And its also the bigger box. Lot to enjoy. Is a shame the tracks for the movie zabriskie point are abesent but im sure there were legal reasons for this só i can forgive this.
    1969: i love this year in pink floyd's carear. The CDs are amazing from begining to end. On the DVDs there are many curious, funny and interesting things. First they play on playback on french television while they sometimes still sing over the playback and we can here nick beating the drums quietly. The faces of the audience are amazing, "what is this?" they seem to think. All very strange and funny.
    Then a rearshal. Really love this. We can see Roger comanding the troops clearly, Richard playing a pipe organ, Nick making jokes and relaxed, and then Roger saying ummagumma (now you know English speakers is ummagumma not ammagamma). Love it.
    Then we can see a performance of careful with Roger screaming like mad like i have never seen it before and for some reason not playing the bass in the second part of the song, walking around the stage like a madman. Quite strange and funny also.
    And finnaly pink Floyd with zappa. Historical and the rest of the songs are great to. Everything higly recommendable.

22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Sonically atrocious, if you ask me.

23. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

IIRC, they didn't even bother to look assuming that it was fake stereo just like 1970.

Rne and andrewskyDE like this.
  24. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

The best item on the Blu Rays is the 5.1 version of Meddle (not just Echoes in 4.0) that is hidden in the boxed set version of this.

It seems that was pulled in the individual releases.

mshare and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  25. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

This is assuredly going to be released as a stand alone at some point. I will wait patiently for it.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.