Why are the Early 60's so Disliked?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosskeenneat, Feb 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I really had no idea that the early 60s were widely disliked. That's sure not the case at my house, and it wasn't when I was growing up. Early 60s and prior is right in my dad's music fan wheelhouse, so I heard a ton of that stuff growing up and I love all of it. My dad's a huge fan of early rock & roll, doo-wop, R&B, blues, soul, rockabilly, country etc. He was (and still is) a huge singles collector and we had (and he still has) a few different vintage jukeboxes at home, which would be loaded with all sorts of delights from those genres I mentioned.

2. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

Most of the black artists weren't affected by the British Invasion.

Admittedly, Ben E. King and Chuck Jackson's popularity started to wane, but JB and most of the Stax and Motown artists just got bigger, if anything.

3. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Also pre-Beatles, I think of some great vocalist recordings such as by Roy Orbison and Patsy Cline!

4. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Man at C&A likes this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I thought it was a strange one! Who is the Beatles hating one?

6. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Filmmaker John Waters made the Beatles quote.
    He preferred the stuff prior to the Beatles and he felt their popularity obscured those acts.

7. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

I see. Guilty by association.

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Reopened by request

Sternodox and Brian Lux like this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Truth.

10. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

The early sixties were a time of transition. The hoary old cliche about the "establishment" taking down Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis--while Little Richard turned to God--and replacing them with the likes of Frankie Avalon and Fabian is cheesy, but it was a fact that the old, original rockers were replaced on radio and in the record shops by the teen idols.
    Most of the elements that would lead to the great music of the "the 60's" were already in place by 1962 or so--The Beatles and The Beach Boys and Stevie Wonder were recording Motown was a thing. The Stones were playing.Dylan put out his debut and he was already on the rise. The folk music scene in the US and the blues scene in England were already established , and some of it's players would be household names in a few years.

So I think the early 60's are given little respect because--from the vantage point of the present-- what was just around the corner is perceived as revolutionary. The fact that the 1960's saw great societal change as well burnishes the credibility of music --even if it wasn't overtly political itself.
    It somehow seems more "serious" than the teen idols and Phil Spector and his (now dated) "Wall of Sound."

11. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Wall of Sound is not “dated”.

12. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

I’m from a Latin-American background. My parents had Cuban, Mexican and other South American music on all the time, not to mention Spanish from Spain, in the early and later 60’s.

I didn’t get into English and US rock till I was in 4th or 5th grade and onwards. High school made the greatest impact on me.

The early music my parents played at home in the 60s was awesome and fun, even though it wasn’t in English. I guess what lotsa people forget in the US and the UK is that the revolutionary 1960s also happened outside their borders. Today I’m rediscovering all of that rich heritage once more.

13. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

:cheers:
    Phil should be knighted for his contributions.

DRJOEL65 likes this.
  14. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Although I don't listen to much in the way of early 60's popular
    music, it's agreed that it was a great time for music. Now
    early 60's jazz, that is another matter entirely for my
    listening pleasures.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Crimson Witch and Licorice pizza like this.
  15. The interesting thing about the "forgotten era" of American rock, pop, R&B, blues, country, and jazz of the early 1960s was the massive influence records and performances from that time had on the musicians and bands who went on to become superstars later in the 1960s and 1970s.

It's just one of those not-so-little ironies, along with the fact that perhaps >90% of Classic Baby Boomer era music was made by people with birthdays prior to 1946. We Boomers just listened to it, we didn't invent it.

By the way, anyone interested in reading more on the history of "race music"- black R&B, doo-wop, and soul music- of the early 1960s should read George Clinton's autobiography. He worked in Plainfield NJ and NYC at the Brill Building as a teenager, doing A&R work and getting into songwriting. And later on in the 1960s, he moved to Detroit and got involved with the music scene there. Clinton is a great raconteur, with a very sharp memory for detail about the era- practically forgotten artists, groups, managers, studio, venues, labels....

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  16. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

While Spector deserves praise for his recording techniques and innovations, his Wall of Sound does sound- to my ears--dated and corny.

Yes, it's entirely subjective and I should have pointed that out instead of stating it as fact--and not opinion, which it certainly is.

17. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

If it weren't for the early sixties music, my first girl friend would not have sung for me "Angel Baby" and later left me heartbroken when she had to move away with her folks. And also, it was those early 60's Beach Boys records that gave me solace.

And I still dig that Phil Spector Wall of Sound.

18. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

In your assessment of this period
    You omitted the elements of R&B.
    This period of music, which I have elaborated on earlier posts, was a golden age of R&B.
    Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson, etc.
    Of course, all leading up to Soul.
    (Check my earlier posts on this thread)

JoeF. likes this.
  19. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Yes, a whole bunch of great R&B came out during that period. I didn't mean to overlook it.
    I suppose my post was more narrowly-focused in that I was thinking of classic rock,
    Interestingly Atlantic Records-- and Ertegun, Wexler, Dowd and others --were prominent in both the golden age of R&B and later on in the classic rock era...

20. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Great points. I've always loved pointing out that Dylan, Hendrix, The Beatles and so on were not Baby Boomers. People like to claim "ownership" of their generational music and look at artists as though they were contemporaries.

(And for you younger guys-- people like Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell were Baby Boomers, technically.)

Panama Hotel likes this.
  21. Interesting, Vedder and Cornell, growing up probably considered themselves Gen X, recently I have seen for some reason there has been an expansion of the boomers past '60 up to '64.

22. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Pop was pretty bad. It was formulaic, and shallow. Famously, it was what made Dylan go into folk music. I'm sure it gave the fabs a lot of motivation to not be "Bobbies", even though we know that Decca wanted that and not them. The era had a lot of negative exampling demonstrated.

There was a lot of stuff going on other than that pop, but there always was anyway. Music kept going. I can't say it was a great era except for Jazz.

23. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

It's been from 1946-64 for as long as I can remember, but yeah, there's a blurring of the lines after 1960. My sister was born that year and she's definitely a Boomer; I was born in '62 and I've never felt like one. My "profile"--for better or worse--is more GenEx.

(In fact, checking Wikipedia just now, it seems they have GenEx from 1961-1981. This is new.)

24. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Everyone was affected, and especially black US artists. There's a reason they call economics the dismal science. I heard Abbey Lincoln interviewed about the early 60s once and it was a problem for all working musicians. Stax and Motown were contemporaries of the fabs. Sui Generis with geniuses working around the clock. They also had mutual appreciation things going on with the fabs. But what happened to everyone else?

Black presence in pop has taken some big hits, like AOR radio programming, classic rock playlists, MTV, etc. This was a very huge thing that led to those things.

25. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Or a prog record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.