Led Zeppelin I on cassette

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galactus, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

Try getting used to the record version of PF's "Animals" after years of listening to the 8-track.

mbrownp1 likes this.
  2. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Lol. You should have tried learning records incorrectly on 8-track. I can’t remember a single one that had the intended track order. What a blast it was!

3. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

Not only that but the breaks between songs. I think You Shook Me and I Can't Quit You Baby are split between 2 tracks. Same goes with the Allman Brothers Fillmore 8 track.

You had the faded out, the clunk and then the fade back in.

mbrownp1 likes this.
  4. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

The cassette I had the LP running order, but the sides were reversed. I just listened to side 2 first.

DiabloG likes this.
  5. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

My first copy of LZII was on 8-track, and to the best of my memory, it mirrored the track listing on the cassette linked above. "Heartbreaker" and LLM were definitely not together, though I didn't know they were supposed to be. In fact, it kinda annoys me now that everyone insists they SHOULD be together!! :laugh: I don't have any problems listening to the CD with the correct order, but I still have fond memories of that pink 8-track cartridge.

RK2249 and mbrownp1 like this.
  6. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

This is the cassette I had, LZ I had the sides flipped and my Rumours tape started with I Don’t Wanna Know. The last one I still replicate in my iTumes listing.

mschrist likes this.
  7. Exile on Main Street, too

8. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Ah yes the CLUNK! I listened to albums with the clunk so many times that it tripped me out when I would listen on other formats and not hear a clunk!

Yankeefan01 likes this.
  9. no.nine

Yes, and of course, you anticipate the fade out BEFORE the clunk! Thanks to those 8-tracks I used to have, a few songs are still burned into my memory like that.

Yankeefan01 and mbrownp1 like this.
  10. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Born to Run (if memory serves me right)

Thunder Road
    10th Avenue Freeze out
    Backstreets
    She's the One

Born to Run
    Night
    Meeting Across The River
    Jungleland

mschrist likes this.
  11. Further

Further Forum Resident

My Canadian cassette of Led Zeppelin II had the original running order intact except 2 songs were swapped.

Bring It On Home ended Side 1 and Thank You ended Side 2.

DiabloG likes this.
  12. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I've got the Marino remaster of I on cassette and it contains the LP's running order, with the sides being labeled correctly to boot. However, the II remaster still has that altered tracklisting that was mentioned earlier in the thread. It's weird to see that this happened even as late as 1994!

[​IMG]

Dodoz likes this.
  13. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

YMMV, but I think that order works well!

14. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

The first copy of KISS’s ‘Creatures of the Night’ I had was the 1985 CD with the non-makeup Bruce Kulick skyline cover. It swapped the order of two songs so that “Killer” was track 2 (between the title track and “Keep Me Comin’”) and “Saint and Sinner” was track 8 (between “I Still Love You” and “War Machine”). This order has always flowed better to my ears than the original sequence. However, the original, and since restored cover, is a much, much better piece of art and suits the feel of the album perfectly. I don’t have either edition anymore, but at some point I’ll probably end up re-buying both of them.

15. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Took me a long time to get used to not hearing LLM right after Thank You. I still kind of miss it.

Also got used to certain clicks on tracks on my specific cassettes that I still hear in my head...35 years later.

16. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Strange running order - to open with what most consider to be the album's weakest track!

Still, not saying it shouldn't work. Might try it one day.

17. Further

Further Forum Resident

It does! For years, I thought they chose to end the album with Thank You and that it was a perfect choice.

DiabloG likes this.
  18. no.nine

A small correction: I said that my 8-track of LZII probably had the same running as the cassette. Well, it didn't. It was slightly different:

Program One
    A1 Whole Lotta Love
    A2 Thank You

Program Two
    B1 The Lemon Song
    B2 Heartbreaker

Program Three
    C1 What Is And What Should Never Be
    C2 Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)
    C3 Ramble On (Part One)

Program Four
    D1 Ramble On (Part Two)
    D2 Moby Dick
    D3 Bring It On Home

Now, I wonder why the cassette and 8-track weren't even the same as each other!

Dodoz likes this.
  19. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

And I third this. I would really like to know how this worked? In fact, one thing that I always hoped would come out of all the Zeppelin reissues is a clean intro for "Black Mountain Side".

20. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

I wouldn't want to live in a world where Heartbreaker doesn't lead into Living Loving Maid. What kind of evil mind would think of such a thing?

DiabloG likes this.
  21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

My first exposure to all but the "mega hits" was borrowing my friend's copy of the first Led Zep boxset (aka Crop Circles) , four mind blowing cassettes for a long road trip from Seattle to San Francisco and back again!

I "Got The Led Out" on I-5 and became a huge fan. But I had to adjust to actual album running orders when I picked up Complete albums box later on. :cool:

wrappedinsky and jalexander like this.
  22. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

I have a Houses of the Holy with a messed up running order too. Hate it.

Dodoz likes this.
  23. jalexander

Me too. In general, i still prefer the box set. Very well curated.

wrappedinsky and JeffMo like this.
  24. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

What's the running order?

25. jalexander

TSRTS/The Ocean/No Quarter/The Crunge/Over the Hills/Rain Song/Dancing Days/Dyer Maker

So wrong not to close with The Ocean!

Dodoz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.