New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

I want something more than nice tunes from Floyd myself, lyrical bite, something compelling, I don't hate ER but I don't feel a need to go back to it.

I lmuch prefer RTL to OAI although ITLWRW & AMTD to me is much more exciting, so I guess we come at Floyd from a different place. The best of PF for me is when Waters and DG come together and while I don't mind some post Waters PF, I can't say apart from High Hopes I put it up with their best work.

I love the guitar of Gilmour and the keyboards of RW but with Waters involved, WYWH is my favourite PF album and album of all time, to me this was a perfect synergy of those elements.

Although I just find the Waters dominant PF much more exciting than the 3 albums after he left but that is me.

xfilian, Sytze and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  2. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

And PF was really Syd's Band, and I would contend, they would have potentially been even better, if Syd had not checked out, and still have added Gilmour to the Band as temporarily happened on 'A Saucerful of Secrets'. Would have been interesting to hear what Music they might have created together. Would it have prevented some future Great Songs, like 'Echoes'? Possibly, but hopefully would not have happened.

Pink Floyd is an unusual Band for me, as despite being one of my Favorite Music Artists from the 1960s-1977, there is not 1 Album, that makes my Best of List, as each Album has a few Weak Songs on it-IMO(but 'Animals' is the closest, despite Waters dominating the Band by that Album, as at least the Music was still great, if not Space-Rock no longer). Love The Early Years 6 Individual Box Sets though(The Big Box Set was too expensive as missed out on the price drop to around 223 Sterling Pounds at the time in March about 4 months after it's release).

pexie likes this.
  3. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

You can probably find the exclusive 7th box on discogs. Contains More and OBC movies + other nuggets.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  4. TheSeldomSeenKid

Thanks, I keep checking Ebay, but never see it for sale there.

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Waters, Gilmour Pink Floyd was a finely tuned machine. Although I still like the three albums after Waters.

6. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

Pulse arrived today........had to return it though......scratch on side one, song one...........

7. Just received an email from London Drugs to inform me they cannot fulfill my back-order of Meddle & OBC as their vinyl supplier has gone out of business.

8. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Hmmmmm im sure someone else will pick up and maybe you will @ some point get them :)

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  9. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Such a shame. How did it affect play? Did the needle skip, or did it play through the scratch?

drum_cas likes this.
  10. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Most of these recent reissues sound excellent if you end up with an undamaged copy, but in my experience, the quality control has been pretty bad overall. Of the six I've bought, three have arrived warped and/or badly scratched.

pexie and drum_cas like this.
  11. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

Can we hope for a Echoes boxset this year

andrewskyDE likes this.
  12. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

It gave a loud tick. First I thought I just needed to clean it but it was clearly a scratch...... Hopefully today I receive a new one!

13. Jonpd

Jonpd Forum Resident

The Sound of Vinyl (a Universal site) have a listing for Pink Floyd: Live In Rome 1968 to be released on 25 January on the 1960's Records label.

It has 2 tracks Astronomy Domine and Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun.

14. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

It is a fabulous sounding set. I have been playing mine a lot. Great for a Saturday or Sunday afternoon around the house.

drum_cas and Fishoutofwater like this.
  15. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

Yes! New box arrived today. Can someone explain how there can be fingerprints on a sealed LP? There are some light scratches on LP 1 and LP3 but they are not audible.

And yes, this sunday I will be able to let this set play loud!

16. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

You don't miss much imo... the feature films had already been released (and WITH subtitles), and the '67 BBC material is horrendous... much better sound on the boots. Nice to have '74 Echoes though, and the alternate Arnold Layne video.

17. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Human hands put them into the sleeves. (Which BTW I replaced with MOFI sleeves).

Enjoy your new set! It is a beaty!

Christopher B and drum_cas like this.
  18. TheSeldomSeenKid

I own the 74 Echoes on the Boot CD Concert of DSOTM, so I am good there. Yeah, I doubt I would have watched the movies much anyways, so was mainly interested in the music on 'Continu-ation' Box Set.

superstar19 likes this.
  19. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

The Committee pieces are nice, although short and taken directly from the film (bit of voice-over). Can no doubt be found on boots as well.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  20. TheSeldomSeenKid

I forgot to add but I also own the BBC 1967 Boot CD.
    Back in March 2017, I was within a few hours of buying the Big Box Set on Anazon-UK as the price kept dropping and was down to around £218 which at the time with VAT removal and shipping would have come out to around $245 with £ conversion rate to the $ at that time. I was going to check with my credit union if my credit card would allow me to cancel and reorder if the price would drop even lower. Well, later that day the Box Set jumped to over £360, and never got lower than £290 as far as I saw when checking at times. Although, with people complaining how oversized the Big Box was, I am happy with the 6 Individual Book Box Sets that I bought for either $30 or $35 each.

21. Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Well-Known Member

Arrived!! One SACD of Wish You Were Here. Analogue Productions on Pink Floyd Records. PFR25
    I guess we are seeing some of the catalogue numbers filled in... 22,23,24 remaining

Ed

22. EXpediency

EXpediency Active Member

I believe that one of neither will SACD DSOTM.

23. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

Yep, I also switched the inners!

Just finished side 1. This is excellent! Had to check my settings to make sure it was set to stereo......overwhelming mix with so much space.

Indeed great!

Echoes Myron likes this.
  24. AlexC

AlexC Forum Resident

it's been too long since last release, PF needs to announce something!

Nighthawk68 and Philrock90 like this.
  25. Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Well-Known Member

Here is hoping for a big fancy box set of Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live 1980-1981. That would look really cool sitting next to my Pulse box set.