What's the funniest movie you ever saw?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Richard--W, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Saw a rare screening of Friday The 13th Part 3 in 3D in the 1990s. It was a packed audience, who cracked wise, laughed and screamed in equal measure. I'm not sure it was the funniest film I've ever seen, but's it certainly the most fun I've ever had at a movie.

Years later this classic YouTube clip popped up, with a laugh track added to Part 3 - and it's the closest thing to that hilarious screening.

Stone Turntable and jason88cubs like this.
  2. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Kind Hearts and Coronets with Alec Guiness

JoeOnWheels and geoffr like this.
  3. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Thats the one that came to my mind. Cracked me up from beginning to end.

4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I usually love the Coen Brothers. RAISING ARIZONA would make my all time comedy lost.

But BIG LEBOWSKI leaves me cold. I don't think I laughed once.

5. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

For me, there are dozens. Here are some top - of - mind:

The Bank Dick - W.C. Fields
    Planes, Trains, Automobiles
    Trading Places
    The Distinguished Gentleman
    The Nutty Professor - Eddie Murphy's version (The first time viewing the scene with the Klumps at the dinner table made me stop breathing, I laughed so hard. Even more so afterwards as I learned Eddie played every part, and legend has it, it took several days to film it....)

Monty Python/Holy Grail
    It's A Mad, Mad World, and it's remake, Rat Race
    Good Neighbor Sam
    Blues Brothers, Animal House, Fletch, Vacation, Christmas Vacation
    Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House & the remake - The Money Pit
    Win, Win

6. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

No way I can pick one. Best I can do is cite my last two candidates: Borat and The 40-Year-Old Virgin.

7. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I actually fell off the couch laughing while watching that.

Based on this avatar you can tell I like spoof movies and fan of Mel Brooks too.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Borgia likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Due to my age*, "Revenge" was the first Pink Panther movie I ever, and I loved it. I still remember how hard I laughed through that whole movie.

I doubt I'd find it so funny today - I was much more easily amused as an 11-year-old! ;) - but I'd be curious to watch it again 40 years later.

*I was "old enough" for "Return" and "Strikes Again" so I can't totally blame my age as the reason I didn't see them. Heck, maybe I did and I just forgot! But "Revenge" is clearly the one that stuck with me...

Kyhl likes this.
  9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

and my number 2 is Team America which I find hilarious.

i know comedy is geographical to a certain extent but most of the choices on this thread i don't find funny at all. I don't get US comedies for the most part, especially the more modern ones. I don't find Chevy Chase or especially Will Ferrell funny at all - it's painful to watch them.

Love Woody Allen, eighties Steve Martin, John Candy has more humour in his little finger that Ferrell and Chase have combined. And I like the older comedies like Some Like It Hot.

mrjinks likes this.
  10. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Beavis and Butthead Do America

Hehheh hehheh hehheh

11. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

"I'm not an actor...I'm a movie star!"

jlocke08 and Mylene like this.
  12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Someone mentioned, there’s something about Mary. This was just on the news today. Another wienie wagger. What kind of immature , tasteless, perv pulls out his ***** when he’s meeting a woman for the first time. That’s not a joke, that sickness.

THE FARRELLY BROTHERS HAVE something they want to show you--and it isn't their new movie. In fact, it's something you'd probably rather not see at all. Something of Peter's. Something anatomical in nature. The Farrellys have concocted a variety of clever ploys designed to get you to look at it. Bobby, 40, is the straight man, all innocence as he lays the trap. Then Peter--lankier, edgier and a year older--delivers the coup de grace. You may think you're going to be examining a mysterious blotch on Peter's torso, or checking out his new watchband. The reality is a good deal more shocking, but as actress Cameron Diaz puts it, ""When a director shows you his ***** the first time you meet him, you've got to recognize the creative genius.''

Or contact a lawyer. The truth is that in person, the Farrelly brothers' cheerfully retrograde humor eventually wins you over. And it pales in comparison with what this pair of writer-directors will whip out once they get you into a multiplex. The Farrellys' riotous new love story, ""There's Something About Mary,'' has been slaying preview audiences. ""What "Animal House' was for the...”

I hated every second of Theres something about Mary. Defining lowbrow tastes.

13. Monosterio

Interesting that the wiener story comes just weeks before the Oscars, where Peter Farrelly’s Green Book has to be one of the front runners...

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Green book you mean the remake of the recent French hit? What a creative genius. Are we now giving Oscars to remakes?

15. Monosterio

The movie with Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali. Farelly wrote it with two others and directed it. It won the Golden Globe for best comedy. And AFAIK it’s not a remake.

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It’s a remake of a recent French film. Forget the name. Saw it on an airplane six months ago. No wait, I am confused. Sorry I was wrong,. that’s the upside with Bryan Cranston. Green book is the driving Miss Daisy in reverse PC sweetheart for this years oscars.

17. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Speaking of John Cleese, it's not a movie but his 16 episode TV special Fawlty Towers may be the funniest such TV program. Amazingly consistent across all episodes.

18. Martin66

Martin66 Member

Planes, Trains and Automobiles. The only film I have ever watched multiple times and still find new things which make me laugh :)

19. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Dr. Strangelove - part comedy, part horror film, 100% genius

20. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

"Dying is easy. Comedy is hard"
    "My dear fellow, what I choose to do with my schlong is my business" "How's business?" " Never better"

Mylene and carrick doone like this.
  21. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

'Way Out West' ……….and several of their 20 minute shorts.

Richard--W likes this.
  22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Only 12 episodes.

comedy for me works so much better as a TV series than films. I think because they can take their time, the jokes are not so forced and they are not constricted by a three act structure and forced resolution/happy ending. Comedy works best when the main character is falling apart and desperate (like Fawlty Towers, The Office, Alan Partridge, Rising Damp etc) and they don't tend to make films like that, they want the hero to win or be redeemed.

23. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Intentionally: Duck Soup
    Unintentionally: The Bad Lieutenant (the Ferrara version)

24. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Dumb and Dumber

MikaelaArsenault and bmasters9 like this.
  25. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

I think Barney Miller was much the same way when it was on ABC from 1975-82 here in America.

Mr Bass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.