Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

There is from Great Eternity a mild & pleasant rest
    Namd Beulah a Soft Moony Universe feminine lovely
    Pure mild & Gentle given in Mercy to those who sleep Eternally.
    Created by the Lamb of God around
    On all sides within & without the Universal Man
    The Daughters of Beulah follow sleepers in all their Dreams
    Creating Spaces lest they fall into Eternal Death

In a brief hiatus from Beefheart, I am listening to the mesmerizing Canaxis aka Canaxis 5. (Holger Czukay)

footlooseman and notesofachord like this.
  2. bzfgt

The funny thing is now when I hear him, he sounds almost classic compared to what I now associate with Contemporary Country, but when he was doing his thing I thought of him that way too (pejorative paranomasia and all).

3. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

In between playing the Dead I have been re-visiting early Genesis lately and really enjoying it ! Recently played their first album and Nursery Cryme, so much fun and I heard things I had missed in the past !

4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Here's a not so good pic from Green Leaf Rustlers on, um, it's from the week before last, I think:
    [​IMG]
    "Man, I forgot the lyrics to Bertha."

And I didn't photoshop out a piece of John Molo's head, it just so happens the mic stand is lined up perfectly with the outline of his forehead. Weird!

TSWisla, US Blues, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  5. bzfgt

The thing is it's not "weird for its own sake" to the extent that implies that the musical weirdness isn't justified by the psychic-aesthetic pleasure it yields. Once the mind is properly recalibrated, it is a feast of sound and you start to wish all rock music was played askew just so. Definitely not an album to be admired rather than enjoyed, although some people do get stuck in that halfway region...

6. bzfgt

Indeed it is! And I didn't really appreciate it until at least a few years after the fact...

Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  7. wavethatflag

Recent un-Grateful listening, by Wave T. Flag:

Phish 7-29-88
    Zappa 10-28-77 (I can't believe that @bzfgt isn't into Zappa)
    Volunteers, Jefferson Airplane. I needed to hear Good Shepard in its context after seeing Tuna play it on 12-30.
    The first five tracks from Bowie At The Beeb. I guess I wasn't feeling it.
    Songs For Judy by Crazy Neil (I've had a couple of '76 boots for years, so I'm not blown away by this. But I'm sure the sound quality is superior to what I have, but the '76 boots I have are very high quality, so ...)
    Phish 7-22-97
    The first 10 tracks of Wilco, 6-24-2017. I need to finish this show.

8. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Saturday morning coffee and jazz

[​IMG]

9. bzfgt

Yeah, sorry, maybe I should be. I think it's the same thing that keeps me off Phish, which is why I associate them even if maybe no one else does. Aggressively white nerd/smart alecky vocals and lyrics coupled with proficient but sort of slick and intellectual music, I roll off the surface like it's a teflon dome. I like "Hungry Freaks, Daddy"...

10. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Specific to your second sentence, Zappa is definitely one of Phish’s influences, as is early Genesis.

11. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

so weird. I can't stand either of those two artists.

bzfgt and ianuaditis like this.
  12. wavethatflag

A great musical costume for the Halloween Phish show would be them doing Garth Brooks doing Chris Gaines.

I take that back.

13. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Dude. I already had to suffer through KV. "This is what troll smells like"

I would jump ship if they did that. I would immediately walk out if I was in attendance

14. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

As a side note, I’d have guessed you liked Led Zeppelin, though I’m not sure exactly what I’m basing that on.

wavethatflag likes this.
  15. wavethatflag

I still don't agree with your view that you got trolled. It's Halloween. You didn't like Bowie Halloween, you didn't like made up band Halloween, c'mon dude! It's OK, only if you like all other Halloween shows. :D

Crispy Rob, bzfgt and Erik B. like this.
  16. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Love zep. Have their entire discography on cassette. I haven't bought cassettes since 1989 or so.

footlooseman and adamos like this.
  17. wavethatflag

As a guy I worked with once said of another guy I worked with not liking Led Zeppelin, "What's wrong with him?" That's not actually what he said, but I'm trying to be PC here.

But I suppose it's legal not to like LZ.

Crispy Rob, budwhite, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  18. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I had a ticket offered for Thrilling Chilling but did the Sunday show instead :yikes:

I love their Remain in Light set and wasn't even a particularly huge TH's fan. That's likely the only one I have heard in it's entirety.

I can't stand Bowie. Put him in the Ramones/Clash/Beastie Boys/Zappa ship and sink it.

YMMV

(and yes . . . we got trolled. I was there. People were like wtf is this for the first half of that set. It was only afterwards that it became this thing. It's still not good. Musically. The lyrics are sophomoric, even for Phish.)

wavethatflag likes this.
  19. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

maybe 'unapologetically weird' would be a better description?

I think plenty of weird music is cool on its first listen, but if you describe something like TMR as 'not to my taste' you make it sound like 'oh that's too avant-garde for me' or whatever. I was thinking of it in terms of 'do you get this 'difficult' album,' and I would say yes, I comprehended it as music in the same way as other weird stuff, though I can't say for sure I like it in the same way that I like some other weird stuff that I like.

footlooseman and bzfgt like this.
  20. bzfgt

Yeah Phish and Zappa are pretty bad, you're right. I can enjoy early Genesis once in a while though...

21. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Fixed

bzfgt likes this.
  22. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Somehow my brain added Zeppelin to your post about all the Zappa and Captain Beefheart lovin’. Must have been from other nearby posts.

Erik B. likes this.
  23. bzfgt

Yeah, I got you. I'll say what I always say: one thing to consider is exactly no one loves this album on the first two or three listens, so it is possible that more listens will bear fruit...in other words, even if you're ahead of the game in "getting it," I think you probably can't know if you'll ever really love it unless you put the time in...I'm not saying you need to do that, just that we don't know what the result would be.

ianuaditis and wavethatflag like this.
  24. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

25. bzfgt

Wrong!

wavethatflag likes this.