Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I’m not sure if the Meddle 5.1 / hi res stereo is in all boxes, as its inclusion was basically a mistake as documented in the rest of the thread. It is in the early boxes, for sure.

2. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Not necessarily. The 5.1 mix had not been signed off by Waters as he hadn’t heard it, hence its removal. It is entirely possible he will want changes to the mix or possibly a new mix.

PhantomStranger and Jam757 like this.
  3. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks. What about the 5.1 blu ray audio of Pompeii? I’ve heard this is the definitive sounding version and also that it’s completely harsh and unbearable. Opinions seem to be all over the map.

4. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

The word "assuredly" is very big question. It was Andy Jackson's work, and Waters trusts a sound 5.1 only to James Guthrie.

rontoon, Jam757 and Sevoflurane like this.
  5. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

That’s fine with me if they do a new 5.1 to keep the box set as exclusive.

6. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

A 5.1 mix being available is the main thing. It would be great if Guthrie did one.

7. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

It would be excellent if both possible versions had official release.

8. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Unfortanely i dont have the equipment to ear the 5.1 but though im not a fan of this version of the movie (directors cut) the image seems overall much better than my previous Pompeii dvd. But i have to confirm this, Im relying only in my memorie.

9. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I love the directors cut version but probably only because I haven’t compared it to the original. Does this Directors cut version sound better than the 2003 DVD release? I haven’t watched it in awhile but always thought it sounded excellent. The blu ray audio is what really interests me though.

10. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

This is because one of his bass strings broke during the performance!

My two cents;

1965-67: Essential, not perfect. Nice to have most of the Syd era material in one place. The video is the greatest treasure here.
    1968: Great all around.
    1969: Great again, although this time the audio is more interesting than the video.
    1970: Great again.
    1971: The CD part is woefully slim when you know that there were many more "Nothings". What's here is astonishing though. The video is nice, but not as essential (going by memory here).
    1972: From the audio point, clearly the least interesting as apart from the alternate Careful it's only remixes of already known performances. Can't remember much about the video at this point other than the remix of Pompeii...

11. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

I really dont think my opinion about the sound of this one matters since my dvd/tv equipment is (to be more than realistic) average. I listen through the tv speakers. But havent found much change in sound listening this way. Always sounded fine throuh this average television and still sounds, considering the circunstaces off course. Someone with better equipment step in please.

Jam757 likes this.
  12. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. I imagined something of this sort, but is quite funny anyway. He clearly keeps screaming to mantain himself doing something then wonders around with nothing to do. Lol

JulesRules likes this.
  13. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

He also bangs on Nick's cymbals. :mad::nyah:

Luisboa likes this.
  14. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Knowing there existed more "nothings" and they dont make it trough beacause they forgot about them is quite anoying. This 71' CD would have been epic with more "nothings" and stereo bbc.

15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Actually, I thought they didn't use the rest of the 'Nothing' tapes because a Meddle set could be planned sometime. The album's remix wasn't officially released either, so...

progcode, zinan and Luisboa like this.
  16. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Im saying that not beacause i have some inside info but i read it here on this thread some thousand pages before someone quoting Ghutrie (i think) that he knew and there were plans for more nothings but then he stoped on this box to work on other Floyd release and when that ended he forgotten about the other nothings. Thats the story i heard it here, but to be frankly what you said makes much more sense to me.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  17. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I would agree that in general the audio mixes were high end forward and that bass is there but is lower in the mix. As I understand it only the complete box had the hidden Meddle and to my knowledge there have been no repressings so if you purchase the box you should get the hidden Meddle. But then you have to find and extract that....

We of course won't talk about the various illicit places the hidden material might be floating on the interwebs....

Somebody asked about the Pompeii sound. Like everything else on the box it has that same sonic signature which I find acceptable but not preferable. Pompeii is something that I have owned for years but somehow never loved so am not moved to play it much more in this format. Nice to have Echoes in one piece rather than broken into two.

DementedAvenger likes this.
  18. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Well, the material on the sampler CD I haven’t heard is just fantastic. I’ve now ordered 3sets (69, 70, and 71). I’ll probably pass on the very first one and will eventually get ‘68 and ‘72. This is essential material in my opinion.

Luisboa likes this.
  19. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

I personally love the Pompeii 5.1 ,on my system it sounds detailed for sure but not harsh.BUT I consider the video just something to go along with the audio and not Floyds attempt to officially release the movie,we could have had a black screen instead.BTW what the hell is the deal with replacing the original beginning of Echoes on the director cut Pompeii where Dave and Rick are singing with studio footage where they are flubbing the lines?Is this supposed to make me laugh?Is this supposed to bring some levity to the song?Weird.

Jam757 and Luisboa like this.
  20. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I have Pompeii on laserdisc, the audio is excellent (2 channel). 5.1 must be great.

amonjamesduul likes this.
  21. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

I had it onVHS in mono during the mid 80s and also got the LD during the 90s which was a giant leap in sound quality,as some have said I can see why the 5.1 could be system dependent on if it sounds too bright but for me it's my fave version.

Chris Schoen likes this.
  22. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

That would imply a lot of carefulness on carrying out research on available material which I find kind of unlikely with respect to other missings, left outs and bugs we are confronted with.

23. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

Part 1 has a natural ending.

24. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I see. I guess I stand corrected then.

25. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks. Anyone know if this the same 5.1 that was released on the Directors Cut DVD?