Beach Boys 1968 - "I Can Hear Music: The 20/20 Sessions" and "Wake The World: The Friends Sessions"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pool_of_tears, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Craig Slowinski

Craig Slowinski Forum Resident

Theremin (more precisely, electro-Theremin), courtesy of Paul Tanner.

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

[​IMG]

Brian uses lower case "i" too. So there!

3. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Still no CD release?

CDFanatic likes this.
  4. By this point, I don't think there is any chance we get a CD release of this vault material.

Lewisboogie and FJFP like this.
  5. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Honestly, this was my most highly anticipated release after the 67 release. Because it wasn’t released in a physical format I completely forgot that it exists.

6. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I burned two CDs with the material for the car, took off a couple of inessential tracks - The Gong, Bluebirds mono etc.. and now have two great sets for the car. Can't wait for the next one, a lot of interesting stuff recorded in 69...

pablo fanques and Lewisboogie like this.
  7. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Anyone else blown away by the early version of Transcendental Meditation that incorporates the guitar theme from “New Song” (also known as Spanish Guitar Instrumental and Indian Wisdom - previously mistakenly thought to be a Smile outtake)? I wish they had put vocals on this version, it’s actually more interesting than the final Friends version.

Calico, tages, Lance LaSalle and 10 others like this.
  8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity Thread Starter

The beginning of the Sunflower era

Sammy Banderas and Giant Hogweed like this.
  9. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

Yes!!!! I love this track. The first time I heard it and Indian Wisdom suddenly popped in, I wailed in delight! Good thing there wasn't anyone else around... Yes, I love the whole vibe of it, the backing vocals that come in, the banjo, the fadeout, all of it. One of the many highlights of the set.

10. Craig Slowinski

Banjo courtesy of Mr. Al Jardine.

Catbirdman, Calico, supermd and 8 others like this.
  11. dvakman

dvakman stalking the dread moray eel

Just when I didn't think it could get any better!!!

12. frumpledobre

frumpledobre Forum Resident

You really gotta post the full credits for these outtakes somewhere eventually, since it sounds like there's been some new findings since the ESQ issue.

13. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I also loved the additional backing vocals on the alternate Passing By, wish they kept them in.

Incidentally, it sounds to me like on both Passing By and Transcendental Meditation, all the vocals are Brian. Is this correct?

Sammy Banderas and harmony kick like this.
  14. Daniel Plainview

Definitely all Brian on TM.

David Leaf liner notes for the 2-fers always claimed Carl and Al were singing in unison with Brian on "Passing By" but that's highly debatable, unless that's them contributing (faintly) two notes on the tag.

tug_of_war likes this.
  15. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

They are on the original! Just buried in there.

Craig Slowinski likes this.
  16. frumpledobre

frumpledobre Forum Resident

Brian being credited for the lead vocal on Passing By's always been a baffling one to me, because that's a double-tracked Carl Wilson clear as day. Brian never sounded that smooth or airy in 1962, let alone 1968 when his singing style had changed completely.

FJFP likes this.
  17. Kyle T.

Kyle T. Well-Known Member

Thanks, Craig! I'm having similar confusion over the "Time To Get Alone" track. The "Remake Track" version released on the new collection is dated Nov. 21. Was the "20/20" album version already done (vocals included) before this remake? I'm assuming the LP version was the '67 track with October '68 vocals, and that this new remake (like "We're Together Again") never got beyond recutting the backing track?

18. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

The best version of We're Together Again IMHO.

19. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Time to remember... you're missing out.

Lance LaSalle and willy like this.
  20. Daniel Plainview

21. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I assume on the All I Wanna Do track on the 20/20 collection that's a Danelectro electric sitar and not a real sitar, right?

Also liked the Moog on the demo of Mona Kani, wonder why Dennis didn't use it on the final track.

FJFP likes this.
  22. harmony kick

harmony kick Forum Resident

According to Craig's latest Friends sessionography in ESQ, the backing vocals are Brian and possibly Marilyn.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  23. Craig Slowinski

It's Brian double-tracked, singing the main theme. Carl and Al come in at exactly 1:07 on the new alternate mix, singing additional "ahh"s that are kinda buried in the original mix. Listen to the new mix, and toward the end, when the instruments are mixed out, you'll clearly hear that it's Brian singing that wordless main theme.

supermd, dvakman, FJFP and 3 others like this.
  24. Craig Slowinski

Yes on both counts. As to why a remake was attempted about a week after the original was mixed down to stereo and considered to be complete, we can only speculate...but one of these possible reasons seems most likely:

(a) They considered releasing a more "commercial" sounding version as a 45 (like they did with "Be True To Your School" and "Help Me, Rhonda", and like they would do with "Cotton Fields" in the near future) - but then decided against it,
    (b) It was decided that only Carl would receive production credit for the version on the album, but since he hadn't produced the instrumental track (Brian did), it was deemed necessary for Capitol paperwork purposes to have a tracking session for the song that actually was produced by Carl (whether or not that backing track would really be used for anything),
    (c) Since the original version was intended for Redwood and funded by Brother Records, it was decided best to cut a new backing track funded by Capitol - again, even if that track was not to be used in the end, or
    (d) A combination of (b) and (c).

25. Craig Slowinski

Sitar - most likely. An electric sitar was definitely used on the final Sunflower version (it appears to be doubled by a 12-string electric, but you can hear it faintly by itself, twanging away right after Mike sings "be the lamps that light your way").
    Moog - I think because it would've clashed with the more "traditional" sounding instrumentation of the final track. Truth be told, here it sounds rather "gimmicky" to me.