*Poll* - The Weakest Link - XTC - English Settlement - R5

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hollow Horse, Jan 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy Thread Starter

PREVIOUSLY

*Poll* - The Weakest Link - XTC - English Settlement - R1
    *Poll* - The Weakest Link - XTC - English Settlement - R2
    *Poll* - The Weakest Link - XTC - English Settlement - R3
    *Poll* - The Weakest Link - XTC - English Settlement - R4

Round 5. The last round where we ask for two songs to be voted off. At this stage, the songs are unlikely to be considered 'weak' of course - only the strongest will Survive!

DISCUSSION

Sometimes I imagine songs like Sgt. Rock or Wonderland would fit nicely into English Settlement.

Which other XTC songs do you think would fit ES's theme/sound?

2. Hollow Horse

Haven't played this in the threads yet so...

3. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

I had to vote Jason but didn't like it!

DQ: Love on a Farm Boy's Wages

4. Hollow Horse

I like that idea! Keeps with an agricultural theme...

YardByrd likes this.
  5. No Thugs In Our House
    Jason And The Argonauts

In addition to Love On A Farmboy's Wages, these are a few XTC songs that in my opinion would fit nicely on the album:
    Beating Of Hearts
    This World Over
    Earn Enough For Us (with a more stripped down production that is)
    Mayor Of Simpleton

6. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Ball and Chain; Runaways

DQ: I think a lot of songs on Mummer fit the ES mould....I think of them as a Revolver/Rubber Soul combination, in other words bookends of a similar style.

YardByrd likes this.
  7. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Hey, to the person who is posting these polls/threads, it's incredibly helpful if, once you close one poll, you make a final post at the end of that thread with a link to the next poll. That way, people like me who are watching these threads will get an alert and we'll know that the next poll is up. That's how these Weakest Link polls/threads are usually done, and that way, I don't wind up missing polls because I don't have time to sift through the forum trying to locate them each day.

Maybe I'm the only person who does this, but it is really helpful.

At any rate, out of this list, I vote for "Runaways" and "No Thugs."

DirkM and riknbkr330 like this.
  8. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

Runaways and Jason

9. Hollow Horse

[​IMG]

To the person who just posted that, there are links to the previous round at the beginning of each new round.

If that's not enough, I don't know what is.

10. Pavol Stromcek

But, how does linking to the previous round help, except to see rounds that already ended? That's not what I'm getting at.

Maybe I need to explain this more clearly, because I'm not sure if you're getting what I'm trying to say.

In every single Weakest Link poll/thread I've ever participated in prior to this one, once the thread's author decides to close a round, he finishes that thread with a post that contains a link to the next round.

So if, like me, you're "Watching" the thread so that you get alerts whenever someone posts to it, you would then get an alert for that thread that contains the link to the next poll. That way, you find out that the author has started the next round, and you can simply click on the link and go straight to it.

Without that alert, one has to guess when the author is going to post the next round, and then keep checking the Music Corner to see if the author has started it. But if I get an alert in the previous round/thread saying the next one has started, then I don't have to remember to go back a few times over the course of the day to check to see if the next poll has been started, and I'm less likely to miss a round.

Does that make sense?

Maybe I'm the only one who cares (and if I am, then just forget I said anything), but I thought I'd just offer a helpful tip on how to make these polls easier to keep up with for those of us who don't have time to scour the pages of the Music Corner every day.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    DirkM likes this.
  11. Hollow Horse

Sort of and thanks for making it more clear.

See it's my first time doing this.

The regulars know when one poll has closed and can easily type in the thread title in the search box and all the threads pertaining will come up, it really is that easy.

I can adopt your method the next WL I do okay but I thought with each new round the links are there for anyone new to check back on what happened before was clear enough.

12. Pavol Stromcek

No worries. It's just about letting people know at the end of each poll that the next poll has started, so anyone who has clicked "Watch Thread" will get an "Alert."

I have a 22-month-old son, so my time spent on this board is much more sporadic these days, so I rely heavily on my "Watch Thread" alerts to keep up with things.

:righton:

13. Hollow Horse

That's entirely your own fault! :unhunh:

Seriously though, sorry for my impatience - not in my DNA - chill pills ought to be on Amazon.

R6 is up real soon, should I still include the links back to the previous rounds?

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  14. Pavol Stromcek

Ha! Yeah, what was I thinking? ;)

And yeah, including the links back to previous rounds is nice so that people can go back and see how the madness unfolded.

15. Pavol Stromcek

Sad to see "All of a Sudden" apparently on its way out this round. Such a gorgeous song, especially with that shimmery electric 12-string guitar!

Bungo and Hollow Horse like this.
  16. Hollow Horse

Indeed.

Also, I figured this was all taking a bit too long? Like I didn't see there was an option to close polls in hours so I was using a 1-day minimum?

I messaged the group about this but now I have found out how to do it and in view of the two songs not being under threat by anything else, I close this thread and link the next round here... :thumbsup:

*Poll* - The Weakest Link - XTC - English Settlement - R6

The poll duration is set for 12 hours.

This should hurry things along. I am conscious of the next person in the WL group waiting in the wings.

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.