“The Sopranos” premiered 20 years ago today (January 10, 1999).

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Agreed.
    We can agree to disagree. I think both guys were nothing short of all-time great, so I won't quibble. :)

enro99 likes this.
  2. I miss James Gandolfini more than the show. He was an awesome actor. The show is always still there.

3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Just reading the thread and reflecting on what a beast JG was as an actor. The man was truly loved and he somehow made us all love Tony Soprano. That said, think of his face as he killed Chris-to-fuh! He was a force of nature!

4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I don't understand the distinction. If anything, Tony against comes out the more sympathetic character as he never really had a chance to distinguish right from wrong with the parents he had. A lot of that came out in psychotherapy with the Melfi sessions. He was wired to be a sociopath and it was only by pulling on the loose threads, like how the flight of the ducks foreshadowing an endgame, or how his father brought home the bacon that he had any inkling of the free will it would have required to choose a straight life free of crime and violence. Of course he has free will, and he bears responsibility for his choices. But Walter White used the excuse of terminal cancer to live out the rest of his days as a crime figure, which is more unlikely and harder to understand. He was clearly wired for a life of crime.

Remember, when Tony got out of the car his instinct was to save Chris. It was not a personal choice to get rid of him but a business choice because Christopher was a liability. Chris' addiction, his knowledge of Ralphie, Adriana, and plenty of other things could have meant the end of Tony in a variety of ways. On top of that, he was rambling incoherently about never passing a drug test and when Tony saw the branch piercing the baby seat, he made up his mind. I think Tony had given Christopher many more chances than most bosses would have given someone in their crew, and Tony was seeing the opportunity to fix something that was broken a long time ago.

5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Totally agree BUT.....yr talking about Tony Soprano, I'm talking about Gandolfini!;)

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

One made the stuff the other sold it.:D

7. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

I remember Tony eventually gifted her a Porsche. Cayenne. Like the peppah.

Bubba Zanetti and GodShifter like this.
  8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I still remember him in A Civil Action, before the Sopranos. Even in such a little part you could tell he was a gifted actor. Sometimes it's hard to remember he wasn't always Tony Soprano.

enro99 likes this.
  9. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Sure they are both criminals. But in many ways that is secondary.

Tony is a guy who has the suburban palace, impossible kids, a materialistic wife, watches History Channel, pines for an idealistic past, and decries the rampant degeneration of society. He also just happens to be in the Mafia. Ever notice how many times he and the others worry about their 401ks and health plans? He is a criminal faced with the same issues we all face. No wonder he is so stressed as to have panic attacks.

Walter White came up facing all that plus underachievement and missed chances. He then gets Cancer. It was not to make him sympathetic- he already was as he is like many of us. It was to give him the motivation to become a criminal.

That is how I see it, but frankly, the two shows are quite different and great in their own way.

enro99 likes this.
  10. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

A character that's totally different, and yet SO similar, to Tony Soprano is Ray Donovan! The primary link/similarity would be the intensity of the family dynamic. They cheat on their wives regularly, but man, don't dare mess with their daughters! What Ray don't have is Tony's sense of humor!

11. George Co-Stanza

I can't find a shot of it online, but that final look on Tony's face right before Chris he dies and Tony lets go of him, is so cold and ruthless.

Bubba Zanetti, Vidiot and mmars982 like this.
  12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I would characterize it more as rueful but determined, and he wipes the blood on Chris' leather jacket. He had gotten out of the car to help Chris, but changed his mind. You could almost see all the liabilities posed by Chris going through Tony's mind, and when he looked in the back seat and saw the branch piercing the baby seat, his mind was made up. Tony's ability to relate more to innocent animals and babies, and put their lives above his own captains' lives was interesting.

13. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

favorite episodes:

Whitecaps and Long Term Parking.

my all time favorite series.

DHamilton and GregM like this.
  14. George Co-Stanza

Yep, his natural instinct was to save his nephew's life, but seeing the branch through the baby seat was a reminder of Christopher's destructive nature, and he finally decided enough was enough, and boom, adios Chrissy.

Honestly, I could go on and on about favorite episodes. So many great ones.

And I have to say that pretty much any scene where Tony and Junior were talking was totally awesome.

Bubba Zanetti and Vidiot like this.
  15. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Junior had the best one-liners and jokes, and the way Chianese delivered crass or insulting lines was actually endearing.
    "I've been farting into the same sofa cushion for 18 months."
    "A chinaman goes to see the eye doctor. After the exam the doctor said, 'I know why you're having trouble.' The chinaman says, 'why?' Doctor said, 'you have a cataract.' Chinaman says, "no, I have a Rincoln Continental."
    "Never had the makings of a varsity athlete."

16. George Co-Stanza

So true.

"Did you offer my nephew something?"

"I am registered nurse, not maid."

"Did you offer him an aspirin?"

LOL

GregM and agentalbert like this.
  17. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Indeed, the writing is so sharp, and Junior was at his wits end by dealing with this Russian lady in his house all the time. The implication being that she's giving everyone a headache.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Great shot capturing the major characters from the original show...

[​IMG]

I like the fact that Gandolfini pauses for a moment and seems to gather his thoughts, then elects to cut off his nephew's air supply... realizing that Christopher has become a liability and is never going to get any better.

team2 likes this.
  19. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I started watching The Sopranos around the year of its last season around '06 or 07. So when I heard about the 20th anniversary, I immediately thought, wow, long ago. Time flies. :)

At the time, I rented the episodes through Blockbuster. I had binge watched them best I could in order. Sometimes, I had to go out of order when another set was rented out.

Anyway, it is probably my favorite TV series and it still holds up well. My fav. episode is Pine Barrens.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

If there was one person who must have loved the sopranos best of all it had to be James Galdofini Because I was watching Crimson Tide the other night and whenever Hollywood needed a big scary bully they would turn the him. He must’ve been so happy to get to explore a richer character.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  21. team2

team2 Forum Resident

"Knight In White Satin Armor" is my favorite episode. Janice takes out Richie, then Tony puts her on a bus the next morning resolving a season of conflict with her. Perfect use of the Eurythmics' "I Saved The World Today" as well...

22. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

What about the music? How many hit shows would have not one, but two Johnny Thunders songs, and "Bad N Ruin" by the Faces! And when they go for Dylan, they choose "Gotta Serve Somebody" and "It's Alright Ma"....awesome!

Graham and DHamilton like this.
  23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I found a lot of songs from “The Sopranos” that I liked. Not even necessarily from the soundtracks, but looking deep into episodes and trying to find out what certain songs were during the credits or even stuff being played at the club or other scenes in the background.

jason202 likes this.
  24. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I can't find a quote but I remember Keith Richards talking about how they used "Thru and Thru" on The Sopranos and he had all these people asking him what was that great song and where could they get it -- which showed him how many people never listened to the end of Voodoo Lounge.

Bubba Zanetti and GodShifter like this.
  25. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.