Your Vinyl Transfer Workflow (sharing best needledrop practices)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vocalpoint, May 11, 2011.

1. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

2. miguelfcp

miguelfcp Well-Known Member

I tried the decrackle and it was nice improvement but I can still hear pops. I'll give a try your method.

3. harby

harby Forum Resident

The output of that looks quite peculiar:

[​IMG]

To see the same in RX, choose the waveform view, instructions: Spectrogram/Waveform Display

4. ghost rider

This is not my usual method how does the 1st one look?

5. ghost rider

Here are some sceenshots may help you. RX is not a one click solution IMO. ClickRepair is better for that. So I listen with headphones and when I hear a click or in this case see one I highlight and remove starting at level 0.7 , 0.5 is the lowest possible setting. On this click because I choose to not have the headphones loud I could not hear it but often I will when I play it through the speakers, so I will remove them unless they are real faint in this view.
    [​IMG]host image
    [​IMG]

HBJ and miguelfcp like this.
  6. miguelfcp

Found this video tutorial:

Seems very util!

Huang likes this.
  7. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

Back in the days I started this hobby (repairing the needle drops) with very much enthusiasm, with no tools and no skill at all. "The more clicks and pops you remove from a recording the better it will sound". With this rule in mind, I got the job done. Finally, from a well-known old hard rock LP resulted a Mr. Roboto barrel organ masterpiece. ;-) Until I learned to play around with the RX 6 Advanced "Spectral Repair" and "De-click" tools. Now my latest "releases" got some likes from audiophiles.

GerryO likes this.
  8. miguelfcp

I follow the video I inserted in the previous post and I think it produces very good results. My question is should I normalize the volume then or not to keep the dynamic range?

Another question how can I split the record into tracks?

9. ghost rider

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but the dynamic range should stay the same. I normalize to 0.3

miguelfcp likes this.
  10. BrilliantBob

I use Adobe Audition 3.0. Here is the tutorial:

0.3 dB limit is not very safe for the whatever audio chain you want to listen the recording later. The old devices are not so accurate and clipping is possible.

miguelfcp likes this.
  11. Check post #1851. I tried to explain it there.

miguelfcp likes this.
  12. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I have used CDWave for years. It is free now, but you can still pay and register it.

MiLo Software

miguelfcp likes this.
  13. Maybe I should add that when I say "Unlike with RMS normalization, the sound quality doesn't change", I mean that peak normalization leaves dynamic range intact.

14. ghost rider

Maybe in some rare case. This is what a typical 0.3 peak looks like.
    [​IMG]

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I have more than 11 audio programs in my tool kit. I use at least half of them on all needledrops, as some programs are better at some functions than others. These days, I spend most of my time working in RX. I don't believe in one program for everything.

Also, for those who keep saying that computers aren't good for audio: the best thing I did last year was to have to replace my power supply. I got a high quality one with plenty of watts. In fact, what I got is a modular PSU with overkill at 750 watts with an 80+ bronze rating. My DC offset issued went away. My 60 Hz hum and EMF issues went away. The noise floor improved. I still have to fix my phase issue, but that is from a wiring issue, and can easily be corrected with software.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  16. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

I still say the best way is get good records, clean them properly, use a good analog set up, and don't worry about every tiny click or pop. if they are too bad, get a better copy. if you wanna spend hours on a single needledrop, fine, but I want to actually get to listen to all the records I get. all this extra effort, I wouldn't get to more than 5% of what I have...

bever70 and Robert C like this.
  17. miguelfcp

I confirm this. I normalized with 0.3db (rx 7 advanced) and still got 13DR score, the same before normalized

gabbleratchet7 and Hail Vinyl! like this.
  18. 0.3 dB or -0.3 dB? Be careful with that.

Robert C likes this.
  19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Sometimes, there is only one copy of an album that is available. One has no choice but to work with what they've got.

Some people, like me, don't want to hear any clicks or pops. There's nothing wrong with that.

For many of us, it's enjoyable. We enjoy the process. It's good, clean fun. It's a natural high.

When you do needledrops, you hear every second, every detail of the music, and love and appreciate it that much more. We enjoy the music through working with it. We all enjoy music in different ways.

I have done literally thousands of needledrops over the last two decades. I've enjoyed doing almost every single one of them and got to know the music intimately.

bever70 and Micke Lindahl like this.
  20. BrilliantBob

"Always two there are; no more, no less. A master and an apprentice." (Yoda) :laugh:

Robert C likes this.
  21. miguelfcp

0.3db.

Too much?

22. Anything above o dB is considered clipping. 0 dB is what producers aim to, but peak normalization of max. 96% (-0.3 dB) is recommended. I don't remember the exact reason now, but it's something along the lines of some old players not being able to handle 0 dB peaks.

Anyway, don't go beyond 0 dB. Again, more than that means clipping.

miguelfcp likes this.
  23. miguelfcp

I'll go with -0.3db then! Thanks again!

Hail Vinyl! likes this.
  24. miguelfcp

So I normalized with -0.3dB but one thing is weird. The right channel is lower. Is this normal? The normalization was done with rx advanced 7

[​IMG]

25. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Probably not a problem unless it happens all the time.