VG vinyl records and lower grades.. Who buys them and why?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Old Zorki II, Jan 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

My question about condition is this: Has the VG++ grading slightly fallen below the standards of 5-7 years ago? It seems that vinyl I've had for years that was originally graded VG+ to VG++ sounds new. The recent buys sound a bit more clicky in places, though visually these look VG+ to VG++.

What I would consider VG++ is becoming very hard to find.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  2. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I buy VG as:

A. Place holder
    B. Rare piece (usually early 1960's on back)
    C. An artist/act I'm familiar with a couple of hits but not looking for much else
    D. <$5 (usually 1 to 4 bucks)

3 out 4 of my basic criteria has to be met before I drop cash.

3. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Very Good means crap, at least in my experience

4. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

I picked up a box of 'African' records from a friend of a friend a week or so back. I was very excited, as there were a lot of really interesting and obscure records in the box.

sat down on Saturday morning with a big ol' pot of coffee, my laptop and a sheet of paper to make notes on artist, grading, discogs median price etc. I was absolutely pumped that I may be sitting on a box of real gems.

turns out these records were either 'well loved' or 'completely trashed'. they sounded awful! boo! one or two were not tooo bad, but there was strong background noise and persistent, loud crackle throughout on every record

anyway, having scoured discogs it turns out that a lot of these records go for serious money, even in beat up condition. £100+ for G/G+. bonkers!

I can understand people shelling out serious money for highly collectible gems, but £100 for a beat up record with the shabbiest of covers? nah...not for me

I guess I could buy the whole lot (his prices were pretty sweet to be fair) and flip em, but again...this ain't for me. I can imagine getting into serious debates with buyers about the true grading. too much hassle, maaaaan!

bottom line, I'd rather have nothing in my collection that's less than say a strong VG, than a bulging collection of beat up old crap. what's the point?

oh well.....the hunt for a box of reasonably priced, half decent sounding holy grails continues!

5. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I don’t buy anything less than VG+ for the record and preferably the cover (though maybe a good for this if needs be). I can see why people might buy Good or worse (price constraints/budget, adding lower price items because shipping of extra items is basically free, availability of very old records is limited). I’ve also generally been pleased with the quality of VG+. Just my choice.

6. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher Thread Starter

BTW, did you clean them well? Sometimes (not every time) cleaning via vacuum or USM can bring great results...

7. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

indeed I did. sadly, these records have been played to death and were beyond salvaging

8. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I'll buy an original copy of a album I really like in VG (not below though) just to have one...

I bought an original Stereo pressing of Hard Road by John Mayall recently, even though I've got a great 70's reissue of it, just to have an original..

9. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I expect everything online to be one grade less than advertised. So I won't even buy VG+ unless it is all I can find at my price point. I bought a VG+ UK Let It Be for $35. They got the grade right (by luck as it was filthy) but they had the listing wrong ('76 instead of '70). I kept it anyway as it played nearly VG++.

All Down The Line likes this.
  10. Old Zorki II

But these is indeed an expensive record, and if just to have an original difference between $20 and $100 is a lot of money!
    But $3 instead of $5?

11. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

But what is the condition of the cover? Maybe they are not playing the record?

12. ernie11

ernie11 Senior Member

Don't buy too many G or VG records any more. If I do, it's either rare or it's an old 78 rpm which I find hard to find in realty nice condition.

13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Good is very misleading for those not in the know, it usually means quite poor.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  14. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

Depends on the seller. I buy a lot of jazz from a Discogs seller in Japan and their VG+ rated records are excellent. Unbelievably excellent actually. Obviously I prefer near mint if I'm buying second hand but with this particular seller I'll happily buy VG+ if near mint is not available knowing the quality will be excellent. Of course, not all sellers can be trusted like that.

Old Zorki II and nosliw like this.
  15. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

As most mentioned here already, a collector will for a rare record. It's very hard, in my case to find an original UK Beatles record in VG+ :shrug:

Old Zorki II likes this.
  16. Old Zorki II

Perhaps a grade scale is a bit strange. Basically it is M (sealed really), NM, VG+, VG, G+, G, F, P. If you do not know look at it G+ appears to be "average" - while in fact it is realistically a totally trashed record, just not cracked in half ))).

Leo Tolstoy once wrote “All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.” I guess the same reason for having a single grade for high quality used records and many for a poor ones....

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  17. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Exactly right.
    Just bought in one of my favorite stores a copy of Jack Good's Oh Boy. Never seen this before. Wreckless Eric imitated the cover design for one of his records.
    Looks like someone took a bite out of the bottom of the cover. Black and gold Parlophone issue. After cleanup, a hint of surface noise, but otherwise AOK.
    One American dollar -- yes please :)

18. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Every record forum I have read has the same thing to say about African records -- it is what it is.

19. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

There are plenty of *true* VG records that I own that are acceptable to me if I obtained them at the appropriate price. Some records are visually a VG but play better.

Most records advertised as VG+ on places like discogs are really VG (or worse) anyway. Plenty of albums from the 1970s might look like NM but play with consistent surface noise. Others of the same press might visually be a VG but play nearly identically.

My understanding of the grade is that VG isn't supposed to be something that means "all beat up, but miraculously doesn't skip."

I don't buy records online graded VG (or VG+, if I can help it) because that grading level is more subjective than M or NM and I don't want the hassle of going back and forth with the seller over an interpretation. But I have bought plenty of (true) VG albums in person, if being honest about the condition of the record. If it's got some light scratches and a scuff here and there, it's VG.

Anyway, I also have bought VG albums in person that became VG+ upon cleaning.

greelywinger likes this.
  20. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

vg are just two letter slapped on a listing. they really don't mean jack squat in the long run. I've bought vg and even g records that played great, with minimal surface noise. sometimes you get lucky.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  21. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

You just mentioned the pink elephant in the room!

Old Zorki II likes this.
  22. All Down The Line

Does this mean you don't buy 60's pressings or when you do you pay top dollar?

23. MKHopkins

MKHopkins Break out the Hats and Hooters

So based on how the ratings are supposed to be, say I am a person on a budget just starting collecting and I have $30 to spend which only comes along once in a blue moon. Using the OP’s clarification of a VG+ for $6 or a Vg for $3 I can buy 5 VG+ records or 10 VG, which mind you are supposed to be more than adequately playable. I think there is an argument to go VG for sure.

ausgraeme and Old Zorki II like this.
  24. All Down The Line

Even at set sale high price or high minimum bid to start??????

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  25. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

If you can get accurately-graded VG records at VG prices, then I think there definitely is an argument to go with them, especially depending on the press. The problem is that so many sellers tend to put records into one of 3 categories: hi-test (whatever their interpretation of M/NM is), regular ("playable used", which often encompasses anywhere from true VG+ to true G-, but priced in the NM - VG+ area) and low grade (bargain bin/buyer beware).

ausgraeme, eddiel and Old Zorki II like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.