Oppo BDP-93 set up problems/questions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jam757, Jan 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I got this last night and first tried to hook up with dual HDMI with one cord going to my View Sonic pro 8200 projector and the other HDMI connected to my Onkyo-HTC260 receiver. This did not work and created all sort of problems both with resolution and audio. I switched back to the normal configuration I had with my Sony blu ray with one HDMI cord and it works fine. Picture looks sharp but I can’t honestly say it’s better than the Sony. Sound is about the same. Some of my questions:

1. To play a CD, HDCD, or SACD do I need to have the projector on? In testing it seems that this was the case.

2. I didn’t notice a big improvement with DVD upscale results. Do I need to turn off the pass through feature on my Onkyo stereo. I was thinking maybe the Onkyo was still doing the upscale and not the Oppo?

3. When I play a HDCD such as the Petty Playback or Fleetwood Mac live in Boston it’s showing on the display output of 16 bit? For some reason I thought this should be higher? Still sounding fantastic, just wondering?

4. Any tweaking suggestions for the best picture on the View Sonic and/or Oppo?

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Jam757 likes this.
  3. Jam757

Thanks, I posted over there but unfortunately no responses. There must be some Oppo-93 owners on the Hoffman forum!!? My initial impressions of this machine is that it's very glitchy (firmware is updated) and I'm occasionally turning it on and getting no audio. Then I turn it off and back on sometimes and everything works normally. I've watched parts of a few movies and it seems great once up and running. I do not think it was a dishonest seller as he said it always worked great and he recently upgraded to the 4k model so he didn't need it. I'm questioning my decision to buy this and not a new Sony. The main reason for getting it was to be able to play SACD's. I've not yet replaced any HDMI cables but the cables worked great with my Sony player (which was flawless by the way).

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

1) No, you shouldn't have to
    2) DVD will never look that great.. chances are your Onkyo is also adding some processing, I'd turn that off in the Onkyo, if you can.
    3) Still going to show 16 bits, as that's the native format on the disc.
    4) Leave everything on the OPPO at default, but keep the resolution (OPPO remote button) at 1080p. That way it will upsample all sources consistently.

Jam757 and Bill Mac like this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Have you read through the 93's manual as to the proper way to connect HDMI and the differences between the two HDMI inputs? Have you tried playing audio discs with the cable to your projector disconnected? As far as the best settings between View Sonic projector and the 93 I'd suggest a Google search for that information. The chances of finding the information you're looking for doing that is far greater and specific than posting here.

http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP93/BDP-93_English_Manual_v2.6.1.pdf

Jam757 and SamS like this.
  6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Past the time to edit my earlier post. I meant the differences between the two HDMI outputs, my mistake.

7. Jam757

Thanks, interesting because it's not playing discs (CD's, HDCD's) correctly with the projector off. I've even thought about keeping the Sony blu ray hooked up for video and using the Oppo for an audio only player but need to figure out how I can do that. I might need to assign the HDMI on the Onkyo. I'll do some more testing when I get home later.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

What do you mean by "not playing correctly"?

9. Jam757

I mean the display doing wonky stuff like the running time not working or skipping seconds and no sound at all out of the speakers, almost like it was having trouble reading the disc. However, the first time I put in a HD-CD it worked great so possibly I changed one of the settings on the Oppo and it caused it. So from what you're telling me I should be able to just turn on the Onkyo, turn on the Oppo, pop in a CD and it should play right. I'm going to do that again tonight. The Oppo did have updated firmware when I checked. Perhaps the next step is a factory reset of the Oppo.

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yeah something is wrong there.

Consider connecting the analog L/R outputs from the OPPO to an unused (CD?) input on your Onkyo, and just using that input when you want to listen to an audio-only disc. That should be really straightforward, else something is really goofed up.

11. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

FWIW: This is obviously a used player, and who knows how the previous owner might have screwed-up its settings. So the first thing that I would do is to reset the player to its default settings, and then see what happens.

At that point, your 93 will at least be in a known state which should work OK in most applications. You may then start modifying your settings, as needed, from that point.

Jam757 likes this.
  12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It seems that there is some type of playback issue with the 93 and not a setting issue IMO. I've had a number of Oppo players over the years. I can't think of any setting that would cause the playback skipping issue that you are describing. Could possibly be some dust or debris on the optical lens. If that's not an issue try unplugging the 93 for awhile then try playing several discs.

13. Jam757

Thanks all! It appears to be some sort of connectivity issue with the Onkyo. I’ve determined that it works flawlessly if I make sure the projector and stereo are on before turning the Oppo on. It won’t play audio CDs or anything else with the projector not on because every 3 seconds or so the Onkyo tries to connect and interrupts the signal. I’ve watched movies uninterrupted and it works great. Listened to DSOTM 5.1 and it sounds f’n fantastic. I’d hook it up audio only in a CD output but can’t just use any cable as I want the SACD playback so it’s gotta be HDMI. For the time being I’m happy it works although the only other thing I noticed is it occasionally will not open unless I turn it off.

14. Jam757

Do you know where to go to do a reset? I searched in settings and couldn’t seem to find it.

15. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

1. If you have to have your projector on to listen to CD's..............something is WRONG!!!!!
    Try turning HDMI audio 'OFF" in OPPO menu when listening to any analog audio.

2. Your OPPO can also output DSD via analog Stereo or M/C outs.
    Your Onkyo has the corresponding inputs.

Turn off any DSP in the Onkyo and select "Direct" or "Pure" ........whatever option has NO extra processing.
    You may well prefer the SQ connected this way...........

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Jam757 likes this.
  16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Actually Oppo players do not output DSD via the analog outputs. DSD is converted to analog by the 93's DAC.

Below is from page 63 of the 93's manual:

For the analog audio outputs, DSD data is converted into analog signal directly by the internal DAC.

http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP93/BDP-93_English_Manual_v2.6.1.pdf

Go to Device Setup on page 75 of the 93's manual. Step 12 is Reset Factory Defaults.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Jam757 likes this.
  17. Jam757

Thank you. I misread that the first time. So I guess if I wanted to I could hook this up for only audio playback although it seems like I do need the video to navigate the menus on the blu ray audio discs. For now, I'm overall pleased with the operation. The picture and audio on blu rays is spectacular although I can't say it necessarily beats my Sony.

18. Jam757

Thanks. I checked my Onkyo setting which was actually already set on "through" which is no video upscaling. Is there a way to have both the HDMI (for video/blu ray usage) and the analog audio outs (for audio playback) hooked up at the same time or does that mess things up? Honestly, I would probably very rarely play a CD on the Oppo but I would occasionally play a SACD of HDCD.

19. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Yes you can hook up both ways as the OPPO outputs audio simultaneously from all outputs.

Jam757 likes this.
  20. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Of course Bill.........they are ANALOG outputs .
    I didn't think I would be misunderstood by not stating the obvious.
    The point I was trying to make is that NO PCM conversion occurs.

Maybe I could have tried wording it better but it made sense to me anyway!!!!:laugh:

21. Jam757

Perhaps I'll do an analog hook up with simple RCA cables to the CD input on my Onkyo as a secondary connection for playing CD's and SACDs. That would hopefully eliminate the need to have the projector on. I still see no way around not having the projector on for blu ray audio menu navigation.

Linger63 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.