20 Grammy winners whose careers fizzled

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ralph7109, Jan 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This article listed some expected artists (Milli-Vanilli, Debbie Boone, Christopher Cross), but for some reason they chose the Bee Gees and even stated that their Grammy wins 'came out of nowhere' and they had 'overnight stardom'.

Apparently 6 top 20 hits in the US in two years before SNF qualifies as out of nowhere and a 15 year hit filled career BEFORE Saturday Night Fever is considered 'overnight stardom'?

An uneducated hack-job at its best.

"The Australian disco-rock trio comprising the brothers Gibb came out of nowhere with the global multiplatinum smash "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack, but their overnight stardom and late-’70s ubiquity also helped usher in the death of disco. After the residual success of "SNF" sequel, "Staying Alive," in 1983, the Gibbs fell victim to exhaustion, infighting and a hostile pop market. It would take more than a decade for Gen X nostalgia to rehabilitate the group’s biggest hits."

20 Grammy winners whose careers fizzled

2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I'm not a Bee Gees fan by any means, but that is laughably inept "journalism"!

3. That80sBaldAsianBadGuy

That80sBaldAsianBadGuy Forum Resident

I don't understand them putting in Bee Gees and George Michael with the likes of flash in the pans Christopher Cross and Paula Cole

4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Evanescence? They were still playing big places last I looked.

warewolf95 and pghmusiclover like this.
  5. MKHopkins

MKHopkins Break out the Hats and Hooters

Christopher Cross had 4 top 40 and 2 top 10 hits after Sailing. Im sure he would like to have continued in the MTV era but I don’t think that’s so shabby.

6. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Not clicking clicky click bait with predictable stupidity.

BluesOvertookMe, heathen, SRC and 4 others like this.
  7. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

The Bee Gees became legends at the end of the '70s.
    George Michael was a musical icon at the end of the '80s.

So not clicking that lol

8. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Christopher Cross was yuge for a while, but there was no way he was going to carry over into the MTV era. His appearance is very different from how he sounded on record.

9. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Chris came at the wrong era at the wrong place and the wrong time.

Maurice, Jarleboy, warewolf95 and 2 others like this.
  10. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

He has success with two albums and really only kinda with the second one. He made the most of his few seconds and he’s still out there gigging.

Ed

longdist01 and Timmy84 like this.
  11. Nostaljack

True. The first record was actually done before they put it out. Warner waited on it so it’d go out when nothing else was happening. It worked but it put him so close to the video era that he couldn’t move forward - no matter what he did.

Ed

Timmy84 likes this.
  12. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

D'Angelo's album is "apolitically charged". He doesn't care about politics, and now you're gonna hear all about it!

13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I disagree, partially. Any other period and he’d not have had the success, but he had too much and too soon, perhaps. And the onset of Arty Farty MTV did him no favors.

Fullbug likes this.
  14. Nostaljack

I think it’s far simpler and it’s already been mentioned. I just think he died because he had a face made for radio. No shade intended but that’s likely the fact of the matter.

Ed

Fullbug and Timmy84 like this.
  15. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Well that's true but then again think of John Denver. He was IT in the '70s and if Chris had debuted in the '70s, he would've had some continued success. The '80s had a lot of '70s artists unprepared for MTV and music videos in general.

seed_drill and Nostaljack like this.
  16. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Paula Cole is an exceptional artist and talent. Whether or not her albums continued to sell after This Fire, she has had a long, fruitful and exceptional career in music with not a weak album in her discography and a dedicated fan base.

Too often, these articles misconstrue an artist losing mainstream acceptance with them being unworthy of success in the first place. Paula's artistic DNA just happened to line up with mainstream appeal during the late '90s. As the musical landscape shifted, she stopped selling records. That doesn't make her a failure. The same is true for many other great artists.

17. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Tracy Chapman

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Christopher Cross's second record had uninspired songs compared to the first. I think that was a factor along with his looks.

19. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

The Bee Gees came out of nowhere! When Saturday Night Fever came out they had only formed a mere 19 years earlier. How did this unknown band find success? Certainly no one had ever heard of the previous 15 albums the brothers put out. This Australian disco rock-trio were an overnight sensation!

Poor Bee Gees and Barry Gibb. The guy gets no respect! To have written so many amazing songs from 1967-1975 and still only be thought of as the Saturday Night Fever hairy chested, satin wearing, gold chain, feathered hair, falsetto dude. I think he is the most overlooked and shafted songwriter in history. Respect!

20. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

They really don't. Same with George. It's actually quite pathetic. How long are they gonna act like disco wasn't creative music? Lol

Shoot, the Bee Gees didn't even start as a disco act! :laugh:

21. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Nah. She don't count to me. She was never really commercial. All that success she had came out of nowhere. My favorite song of hers came years after her Grammy glory:

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I saw her perform that on SNL in 1988 or 89. For some reason she didn't put it on an album until later.

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

Fizzle (n.)

MikeVielhaber likes this.
  24. Nostaljack

Yeah, the success she enjoyed on a massive scale was a complete accident and it wasn't really her thing either. She didn't do a thing to keep it going. She just made the music she makes.

Ed

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

What a poor click bait bit of claptrap. Poorly researched, yes.

Ricki Lee Jones has become a “cult” artist? Lesser profile does not have to equate to that. She’s had a fine career.

BluesOvertookMe and Jarleboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.